18 months in / 20,000 miles (and noted that Les Burrows also had this on the forum pod cast). But since day 1, have never cleared the N/S rear light in that it always has condensation in it, no major issue (alongside the sagging rear undertray), but should I be getting a hair dryer out or asking the dealer to sort this at the next service (for free?) ??
It has never cleared? That doesn't sound right. Mine regularly fog (particularly the big rear light bar) but also clear in the sun after a few hours.

The longer you leave it, the less likely the dealer will be interested in fixing it.

I was going to ask this about the rear light bar as I too have noticed this on my new mg, but as you say it soon clears once Mr Sunshine comes out

I’d definitely get it checked just to make sure the cover/seal around the light are doing what they should

Most cars I’ve had over the years have at one point had a bit of condensation /misting up but usually clear in the day especially with a bit of sun shining on it ( not much chance of sun at moment )

& a daft question, do you use the car much at night? I don’t know how much heat the lights generate but any warmth will help it clear. I ask this as seen a few videos about this problem & a lot of the time the first thing they suggest, turn lights on, park it in sun to help it dry out.

18 months in / 20,000 miles (and noted that Les Burrows also had this on the forum pod cast). But since day 1, have never cleared the N/S rear light in that it always has condensation in it, no major issue (alongside the sagging rear undertray), but should I be getting a hair dryer out or asking the dealer to sort this at the next service (for free?) ??

I just merged this in with the existing thread to keep it all in the same place.

My MG 4 is going back to the dealer on 27th November to have this issue looked at. Same colour as well :p

New part ordered. They drilled holes for the water to get out for now.

They also updated infotainment and bms to try to fix some of my other complaints.

Finally got the call that the rear lightbar replacement has arrived, took 3 months. Will have it replaced next week

Got light replaced today, they used almost 2hrs to do it. Let's hope the new one doesn't get a puddle inside! ;)

Used the waiting time to take a walk and also went to check out Volvo EX30. Very stylish car inside, but way too minimalistic for my taste (only centre screen and almost no buttons). Not to mention the back seat is horrible, I'm 1,75 m and even I had my knees right up against front seat (adjusted for myself). Smaller car sure, but it really feels a lot smaller in the cabin. So happily went back to pick up my MG4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh - I noticed the moisture in the back light area when picking up my MG4 from the dealer. Was told it was because it had just had a pressure wash and it was 'normal.'

Accepted that and drove off, though this thread is making me wonder. Haven't noticed it since, but haven't been checking religiously.

I’ve been experiencing condensation in the tail lights after rain and after washing. I’ve taken the car for the first 1000km service, and the service centre said it is normal. Really?
I’ve owned two other MGs. The mg3 and the HS +ev. They don’t have this issue. In fact none of the cars I have ever owned have had any water or condensation in the rear cluster.
Should the dealer service centre attend to this..

Check this thread here

Quite common it seems & most say it is normal

Few days back it’s the first time I’ve noticed a little build up on mine, it was after washing & drying the car off.

I suspect once the weather here in U.K. warms up a bit it won’t be a problem but I will keep my eye on it.

Mind does this too - lots of condensation, which dries as the weather improves. Big concern is whether this will ultimately result in green mould growing inside over time?

So it seems that the corporate line from MG is that it is expected. They might expect it but I don’t see any other car do it so it not expected. Does anyone know if it covered by warranty.

Same for me after rain, or washing the car. I normally park with the left hand side facing south and it's the left rear light cluster which gets the condensation. Recently had it the other way around and the condensation was in the right hand cluster. It normally disappears by late afternoon, but re-appears in the morning, but less so. I suspect the poorly fitting rubber water diverter in the boot lid rain channel is allowing to much water to pass and some makes its way as trapped vapour in to the cluster. In summer I'll take them out, dry out, and reseal before re-fitting. I have not considered a warranty claim as I'm almost certain it would be dismissed, but it would be interesting to know if anyone has any success with that approach.

This is common across many models and makes. Individual designs fare better or worse. The MG4's large rear lights seem to be particularly susceptible.

Manufacturers need to come up with a better solution for combating this issue.

Until then, it is unlikely anything will be done about this problem.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back