• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Rear windscreen demister

sdjmchattie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi fellow MG4 owners. Yesterday was the first day I had the chance to defrost my MG4. I fired up the front and rear screen demisters and waited. The wing mirrors defrosted, the front screen defrosted, and the back screen defrosted .... but only partially.

Upon inspection I can see that the bottom three "bars" of the rear demister appear to be separate from the rest of the screen. I can't see any damage on the traces, but it made me wonder. Are these just for show and are non-functional? Should the whole screen top to bottom be demisting/defrosting? If others have working bars on the bottom of the screen I'll get in touch with the dealer to arrange them to fix it.

I am thinking it probably is just for show because the top of those three bars doesn't even join to anything on the left or the right. It just stops without connecting to any vertical trace, so there wouldn't be a path for the electricity to take anyway! A very weird thing to include just for looks though.

Many thanks,

Stuart

IMG_0990.jpg

It doesn't
How many saloon cars have a rear wiper?
They don't need one, because the spray from the rear wheels is thrown on the car's undercarriage whereas on hatchbacks it ist thrown directly on the rear window.

Many say it doesn't due to the steep rake and jutting-out boot.
Some also say the spoiler of the Trophy model clears it. It absolutely doesn't on mine. Especially on salty roads it's blocked in minutes and I can't see anything. Same with our Hyundai Ioniq 5. I get it tat it looks nicer without, but for me it's a shortcoming.

They don't need one, because the spray from the rear wheels is thrown on the car's undercarriage whereas on hatchbacks it ist thrown directly on the rear window.
But not in the case of the MG4 where the boot lid juts out a long way (and has a spoiler too on SE). So many seem to be saying it isn't an issue (occasional wipe down).

But not in the case of the MG4 where the boot lid juts out a long way (and has a spoiler too on SE). So many seem to be saying it isn't an issue (occasional wipe down).
Doesn't work in my case. By the way it also sprays (turbulence) from the top down, look at this hatchback in the wind channel:

I know we all drive in different places and conditions but after almost 3,000 miles in my Trophy I've not had an issue with my rear window, never had to specifically clean it due to salt, dirt or rain, it's only ever cleaned (infrequently) with the rest of the car. It clears very well. I came from a Hyundai Ioniq (not the 5) so was used to no wiper, that car was good but the rear window did definitely get dirtier than the MG4.

I've literally wiped mine down twice since I took delivery in early November and I've done nearly 4000 miles .Mostly along the filthy A13 in all weathers into London.I've actually not washed the car at all.
I also only wiped the rear reg plate today .(and it wasn't that filthy ).
I was sceptical myself but happily proved wrong .

If the car had the option of with or without a rear wiper at the same price would anyone choose not to have it?

Has anyone tried rain-x rain repellant on the rear window to see if the down draft from the spoilers clears it? Thats what I was planning on doing.

I am used to driving a Volvo V70 estate with a dog cage in the boot. This pretty much blocks the view out of the rear window. That has a wiper on it, which I never use, but it is automatically actioned if it is raining and I reverse the car. I have got used to using my door/wing mirrors to assess traffic conditions. I don’t miss the wiper on the back of my MG4, but I have noticed the visibility isn’t that bad, even with all of this rain we have had

It's the aerial: the bottom three are the aerial. It's an old-fashioned (90s) solution but works.
AH !!!!! I was 'monitoring' mine thinking its steamed up 'again' why is that area not clearing do'h .. Don't tell me its in the manual 'somewhere' lol .. But makes total sense - No roof shark fin or Ariel so was pondering on the DAB etc ..

As always here is a font of knowledge - ta

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel