• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Reduced range after full charge on MG5 LR

djh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I charged my MG5 LR (new in March this year) last night using my 7 kW charger and was surprised this morning to see that the car says "100% 188 miles". That seems like a very large decrease in range from the 250 or so I expect.

Does anybody know if there's some normal explanation or is this a fault I need to get investigated or what?

Just reset your long term trip accumulator and it will revert back to the WLTP range. It's not called a guessometer for nothing!

Hello,
I've also noticed for the last couple of charges at home on 7Kw charger that 100% only equates to 100 miles or so. My driving style and distances hasn't altered at all since collected in March of this year. I'll try resetting the trip mileage and see what happens.

Hello,
I've also noticed for the last couple of charges at home on 7Kw charger that 100% only equates to 100 miles or so. My driving style and distances hasn't altered at all since collected in March of this year. I'll try resetting the trip mileage and see what happens.
Is this in the MG5 Long Range? Only 100 miles for a full charge?

That is, IMO, far too low! I would be extremely unhappy if I were seeing those figures! Even at this time of the year (Winter) you should be seeing much closer to 200, I think.

Please let us know if resetting the Accumulated Total meter makes a difference to the figures you see.

Just reset your long term trip accumulator and it will revert back to the WLTP range. It's not called a guessometer for nothing!
Ah, well I'd rather have a more accurate guess than WLTP lies, but I'd like to understand the arithmetic it uses. 188/61 is well below the accumulated miles/kWh figure it shows.

Ah, well I'd rather have a more accurate guess than WLTP lies, but I'd like to understand the arithmetic it uses. 188/61 is well below the accumulated miles/kWh figure it shows.

It has been unseasonably warm for most of March-October this year. Cold weather like it is currently will significantly reduce range.

3.3 miles per kWh (57kwh useable i believe) isn’t that out of the ordinary in cold weather depending on driving style.

I charged my MG5 LR (new in March this year) last night using my 7 kW charger and was surprised this morning to see that the car says "100% 188 miles". That seems like a very large decrease in range from the 250 or so I expect.

Does anybody know if there's some normal explanation or is this a fault I need to get investigated or what?
Worth checking that you have not left your HVAC turned on ( even slightly ) from your previous trip.
As it will instantly deduce your predicted range on the GOM when you boot up the car.
A common mistake this one !.

Worth checking that you have not left your HVAC turned on ( even slightly ) from your previous trip.
As it will instantly deduce your predicted range on the GOM when you boot up the car.
A common mistake this one !.
Sorry, I don't understand. HVAC? You mean the air-con? That just stays on; why would I turn it off? And I've no idea what a GOM is.

GOM is the display range as in 'Guess o meter' as that's all it can do.
if you have anything turned on then car reduces the range estimate so turn everything off just to see what the new range is.

Sorry, I don't understand. HVAC? You mean the air-con? That just stays on; why would I turn it off? And I've no idea what a GOM is.
Sorry - HVAC - Heating / Ventilation / Air Conditioning.
Leaving it on all of the time is fine, if that suits your requirements, but remember this will reduce your predicted / achievable range.
Heating the cabin with a high temp setting, will deplete the HV battery / range faster.
A/C is a little hungry on range.
Quick proof of concept, with the car in READY mode ensure the heating is completely turned off.
Now make a metal note of your predicted range on the Guess-O-Meter ( GOM ).
Turn on the heating and slowly start increasing the temp to maximum heat.
Watch your estimated / predicted range drop like a stone as you increase the demand for increased cabin heat.
It's a greedy beast the heater !.

My LR is 180 miles on a full charge, based on the last reset of the trip 2 months ago. Cold wet and dark is likely to hit for up to 30% off your total estimated range.

This is why I went LR, I wanted/needed the ability to drive to work twice without charging (150 miles) with enough wiggle room to not be sweating the range anxiety. This accounts for the free charger at work being down or unavailable and potentially needing an emergency trip to an elderly relative that is also a 70 mile round trip. Working out just fine for the last 6 months

On our Mar 22 LR, as soon as temperature went sub 12°C the 4-4.5 m/ kW went to 3-3.5kw/m

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom