Remaining range up and down

DrTom

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

First time on the forum - only had my ZS EV for a couple of weeks.

During the two weeks I've had the car I have only done short journeys, usually in Eco mode.

Had a weird one of the past couple of days.

Yesterday the range was around 75 miles - next time I started it was about 52 miles - this morning was just under 50 after a short drive then when I went out later was 62 miles.

Any ideas why it is going up and down - ambient temperature is only up and down by a couple of degrees.

Otherwise enjoying the car !!

DrT

Welcome to the forum Dr Tom.

Yes, the range prediction can vary due to a variety of factors. This is why forum members tend to call it the GOM (Guess-O-Meter). Using normal mode with the air con off, I find to be a bit more accurate.

Hi DrTom welcome to the forum. Whenever you start the car it will be in 'N' mode, soon as you change to 'E' mode the GOM will increase.

Judt drive it and enjoy it

Hi DrT - the others have already said it all, pretty much! There's also 2 tripometers with the first one for the journey you're on and the second, an accumulated total. The first one also resets at the end of trips whilst the second relies on you, pressing the 'OK' button on the steering wheel for a few seconds. Dependant on your driving style and whether you reset the second tripometer, the car 'guesses' what range you may expect from the battery so can be influenced.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Thanks for the replies guys. Just don't get how, whether in normal or eco mode, when you get to the ready state one time it will say 70 ish and after only a few miles the next time it will say 50is then back to 70 ish. Obviously there's a difference between the milage in normal or eco but basically same thing happening. Maybe I'll just have to put up with it but doesn't instill confidence when I start doing long journeys, do I have 70 left or only 50

HVAC on can take up to 10 miles off the GOM depending on the settings.
Sport mode will also predict 10 miles or so less on the GOM.
Best way to see how much minimum range you have left is to put the HVAC on and put the car in Sport mode. Make a note of what the GOM says when you do that and then put it back into whatever mode you prefer, Normal or Eco and you know you will have more than the first figure.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just don't get how, whether in normal or eco mode, when you get to the ready state one time it will say 70 ish and after only a few miles the next time it will say 50is then back to 70 ish. Obviously there's a difference between the milage in normal or eco but basically same thing happening. Maybe I'll just have to put up with it but doesn't instill confidence when I start doing long journeys, do I have 70 left or only 50
I would suggest if you are starting a long journey that you start with a higher state of charge than a range of 50/70 miles. :) (if you can)
When you start a new trip/new day it will base it's guess on past performance average (or WLTP if you have reset the accumulated), then as it works out the 'now' it will adjust to the current circumstances as you go. A bit like an ICE car if you have completed a long motorway journey the previous day and achieved 50mpg. You get up next day and potter about town and surprise you don't get 50mpg.

My apologies as I may not be explaining the issue correctly. I know HVAC, wipers, lights etc will educe the range. As would driving mode, Also, I would never start a long journey with such a small range remaining.

This is the scenario.

Set off to pick up my daughter, just over a mile, GOM says 70 mile in eco mode - no HVAC, lights, wiper etc.
Turn car to off position whilst waiting for daughter.
Set off for home, just over a mile, GOM says 50 miles - still no HVAC, Lights, wipers etc.
Turn car to off position when I arrive home.
Go out later to pick up food, GOM says 70 miles again.

Roughly same ambient temperature, same car settings each time.

Just confused as to why it should give two different ranges in exactly same conditions.

Hey Hum - it is what it is - suppose I'll get used to it.

Set off to pick up my daughter, just over a mile, GOM says 70 mile in eco mode - no HVAC, lights, wiper etc.
Turn car to off position whilst waiting for daughter.
Set off for home, just over a mile, GOM says 50 miles - still no HVAC, Lights, wipers etc.
Turn car to off position when I arrive home.
Go out later to pick up food, GOM says 70 miles again.
1. Set off to pick up daughter - GOM based on accumulated avg
2. wait then go shortish interval - GOM based on current trip avg
3. Later, current trip has reset to zero and accumulated used again to calculate GOM

Is this possible, while you were waiting for daughter was your current trip miles/kWh less than the accumulated ?

I agree. I think it’s weird the way it changes the range prediction. You can leave the car thinking that you’ve got 70miles predicted only to return a short while later to find it’s now got 50! The aircon (cold) button does nothing when the heating is on. There is no aircon until cold is selected.

A few of us on this forum including me have had a similar experience where I get home with say 70 miles left on the GOM , go back to the car the next day or even half hour later and the GOM will read 50 miles , if I power down and back on again it will sometimes go back to reading 70 miles , but if I set off on a journey with it still reading 50 miles I can drive a fair distance before the GOM starts to drop so I know the original 70 miles are still there . It does not do this all the time just occasionally but it is always is a drop of around 20 miles when it happens. 🤔

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom