Remapping

Flatcoat

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
As a potential HS PHEV buyer for carsvan towing I am concerned at the lack of power after 30 years of diesels. I am also coming out of a Diesel PHEV which combined has 300 horses and 220 on diesel alone. I am aware of the issue with accessing the ECU to over write the mapping but does anyone know if a remap is likely/possible?

You might like this Facebook post

while I’ve zero experience, I suggested playing with battery chargers settings Medium / High that would ensure there’s sufficient charge when you are going uphill etc

remapping throttle can be done by like of EVtun who provide remapping for many Phevs

Remapping of throttle changes the power delivery curve from factory settings. I had one for Outlander to stop engine from kicking in. Your could connect it to PC and use software provided to the tweak the curve if needed.

i have no idea about remapping the engine.

From what I know it can tow just fine however mpg drops. I have no idea how diesels fare I’m pulling but this did definitely be smoother and quieter

Ive never tried towing in an automatic but can imagine some heavy caravans might be troublesome on steep descents without manual gear changes. hill starts and parking manoeuvres might also be uncontrollable without the ability to slip the clutch. Even trying to park near a wall can be difficult with car alone, especially if you have already come to a stop and want to inch a little closer.

I think it’s more about making sure that you’re buying a car that’s fit for what your main uses are. If you really want the low down power a diesel gives for towing and i’s a priority to tow a lot then stick with diesel. Getting a petrol PHEV and looking to remap it to change the power characteristics seems to detract from having a hybrid and is fraught with issues, like warranty/insurance/performance of hybrid system.
Doesn’t the HS PHEV provide adequate power anyway when both electric and petrol are deployed? Albeit for a limited time until the battery needs topping up.

I always get my car remapped including my current diesel PHEV, however SWMBO doesn’t like driving it (too low/long). In over 20 years of remapping around 6-7 cars never had warranty or insurance problems - on one Audi I covered over 120k miles on the remapped engine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom