• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Replacement light sensor cover in situ

Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I've not seen anyone post a picture of this yet, so here's mine.

1686059395176.png

It's one of the 3D printed versions, which I got from CrawfyP as he had a couple spare. I don't know what it was printed with, so I don't know how well the material will withstand heat and light, but it's damn good for a first try and if it doesn't last then we know what to do - just use a better material next time.

It doesn't have these damn clips. It just slots in quite securely, seems very unlikely to move of its own accord, but should be relatively easy to get it out again if need be. I cut a piece from a polythene document holder to fit the inside of the top and tried to stick it in place with Superglue. Not sure how successful that was, but it seems to be doing OK for now. I might need to change it for a heavier grade.

I'm assuming it will perform just as the sensor did with no cover at all, because people who simply drilled a small hole in their cover said that worked fine so long as they got the hole in the right place. The uncovered sensor certainly behaves pretty much as it should do.

Last edited:

View attachment 18113

It's one of the 3D printed versions, which I got from CrawfyP as he had a couple spare. I don't know what it was printed with, so I don't know how well the material will withstand heat and light, but it's damn good for a first try and if it doesn't last then we know what to do - just use a better material next time.

It doesn't have these damn clips. It just slots in quite securely, seems very unlikely to move of its own accord, but should be relatively easy to get it out again if need be. I cut a piece from a polythene document holder to fit the inside of the top and tried to stick it in place with Superglue. Not sure how successful that was, but it seems to be doing OK for now. I might need to change it for a heavier grade.

I'm assuming it will perform just as the sensor did with no cover at all, because people who simply drilled a small hole in their cover said that worked fine so long as they got the hole in the right place. The uncovered sensor certainly behaves pretty much as it should do.
Although I am aware of the subject matter I hadn’t really been paying attention too closely as I wasn’t at the state of getting an MG4 when I first noticed the thread. Where exactly is this sensor should it cause any problems?

Yes, I saw. That looks good too. Although I think I'd be looking for a better solution than sticking sellotape over the holes. (Who knows, maybe that is the best answer!)

Although I am aware of the subject matter I hadn’t really been paying attention too closely as I wasn’t at the state of getting an MG4 when I first noticed the thread. Where exactly is this sensor should it cause any problems?

It's on the fascia at the extreme front of the car, right inside the lower edge of the windscreen. The problem it causes is the automatic lighting setting causing the lights to come on if the sun goes behind a small cloud. (Or, as many have observed, the lights flashing on and off as you drive along a tree-lined road in bright sunshine - it comes on as you pass through the shadows of the trees.)

The sensor cover as fitted is much too opaque and lets too little light through. These 3D-printed work-rounds have a pattern of holes on the top of the cover, which should be covered by something transparent to protect the sensor from random dust accumulation.

In fact if you simply prise the existing sensor cover off the whole thing works perfectly, but having an unprotected light sensor in the middle of your fascia isn't really a smart idea.

It's on the fascia at the extreme front of the car, right inside the lower edge of the windscreen. The problem it causes is the automatic lighting setting causing the lights to come on if the sun goes behind a small cloud. (Or, as many have observed, the lights flashing on and off as you drive along a tree-lined road in bright sunshine - it comes on as you pass through the shadows of the trees.)

The sensor cover as fitted is much too opaque and lets too little light through. These 3D-printed work-rounds have a pattern of holes on the top of the cover, which should be covered by something transparent to protect the sensor from random dust accumulation.

In fact if you simply prise the existing sensor cover off the whole thing works perfectly, but having an unprotected light sensor in the middle of your fascia isn't really a smart idea.
Thanks for that, I’ll have to make a note of that if I should encounter any problems.

Yes, I saw. That looks good too. Although I think I'd be looking for a better solution than sticking sellotape over the holes. (Who knows, maybe that is the best answer!)
Heath Robinson to the rescue! ;)

I might devise a better solution in time - but it does the job for now; after all, I can't really see it from the driver's seat. 😎

Do you think printing it in a transparent material would work ?
Where can I find the .stl file for the cover ?

If you read through this thread you'll find it.

View attachment 18113

That looks good in situ… @Crawfyp - where did you get this one please?

Do you think printing it in a transparent material would work ?
Where can I find the .stl file for the cover ?

I meant to say, the problem with printing in a transparent material as things stand is that all the variations in the file have holes in them, intended to be covered with something transparent. You'd need a new template with a solid (but presumably quite thin) top part if you were going to go for a fully transparent replacement that wouldn't need any extra additions.

I don't know enough about 3D printing to know how feasible this would be.

It would be very feasible. Would just be a case of modifying the original CAD model, or someone creating a new solid CAD model. If printing in transparent filament, then top wouldn't need to be particulary thin. However the thickness of the top could also be adjusted when "slicing" the model for printing.

It could be a very simple solution. It wouldn't look quite as neat as the ones done in the same colour as the original, but it could still be a perfectly acceptable visual result.

There could be a way to resolve that too. A filament change from black to transparent part way through the print could provide a transparent top, but with black sides. There are also 3D printers that support more than one filament colour, and can automatically change colours during printing.

There's an opportunity for someone? Produce something that will just slot in, is made of a material known to be heat and light resistant, and blends in with the existing fascia.

You know, MG could do this easily!

There's an opportunity for someone? Produce something that will just slot in, is made of a material known to be heat and light resistant, and blends in with the existing fascia.

You know, MG could do this easily!
It would be easier and cost nothing for MG to adjust the light level required for the headlights to operate with a software update.

I did email them about it and got the usual type of response.
"It is important to keep the area/s around the camera clean and clear to improve performance.
Unfortunately, it is a sensitive system and there are currently no plans to change the parameters."

It would be easier and cost nothing for MG to adjust the light level required for the headlights to operate with a software update.

"It is important to keep the area/s around the camera clean and clear to improve performance.
Unfortunately, it is a sensitive system and there are currently no plans to change the parameters."
Methinks they totally misunderstood what you were asking. 🙄

Just a thought on this given the material used by MG is highly coloured and reminds me of the Lens/front of an old infrared remote.
Could the sensor actually be measuring IR light rather than visible light given that IR light will be abundant during the day and completely absent at night?
Will have to think of a way to test this.

Yeah, I read that earlier. The problem is, however, that the system is NOT sensitive. Its light sensitivity is entirely inadequate. So we do what we can, ourselves.

Just a thought on this given the material used by MG is highly coloured and reminds me of the Lens/front of an old infrared remote.
Could the sensor actually be measuring IR light rather than visible light given that IR light will be abundant during the day and completely absent at night?
Will have to think of a way to test this.

I don't think so, given the way the lights switch on like a theatre flood the minute you drive under a tree in bright sunlight.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back