Replacement parts

Headgas1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Why does there seem to be only 1 supplier of MG spares in the uk and even that supplier has very limited stock.I’ve read lots of posts about people having to wait weeks on end for what should be off the shelf parts, I read somewhere that MG was ranked 10th top seller of EVs in the uk yet no spares anywhere!!! It’s shocking customer service just sell as many cars as possible with little to no infrastructure to repair them.
It worries me to think one little problem and the cars off the road for weeks which would be a nightmare for many of us I’m sure.
I doubt anyone from MG reads this forum but if you do come on pull your finger out you’ve managed to get a good customer base in a short space of time but you will lose a lot of us if you don’t improve your customer service.
Ok rant over 🤬🤬🤬😂😂.

Last edited:
My wife's MK2 ZS LR got a crack in the windscreen which goes across nearly half. We contacted our insurance company and Autoglass have not been able to source the correct windscreen. They booked appointments twice now, but when we've arrived got told it was the wrong one ordered. This started in May after only having the car 2 weeks, and it's been in our garage since.....

Hi,

Appreciate it might not be ideal but there are a few breakers offering 2nd hand parts.

I had to go this route in the past with an imported car, worked out okay.

Agree that the inability to supply spare parts is ridiculous, our almost new HS was involved in an accident, it took weeks to obtain the parts. There must be many cars off the road awaiting parts that should be readily available.

Last edited:
Hi,

Appreciate it might not be ideal but there are a few breakers offering 2nd hand parts.

I had to go this route in the past with an imported car, worked out okay.
Problem is, if it's an insurance or warranty repair they won't use 2nd hand parts. They won't even swap a part off a new car to put on another.

I think you find parts for the older MG cars come from all sorts of out let’s when it was a Uk company, now people go to the MG motor owner club for parts for the older cars.
The china company are the sole supplier of parts I would think for these cars.

HI all, I've been waiting for a new steering column since 14th June, I get a phone call every week telling me its on order but has not arrived. I will not be buying another MG, have been told Hyundi are a better vehicle for spare parts availability.

HI all, I've been waiting for a new steering column since 14th June, I get a phone call every week telling me its on order but has not arrived. I will not be buying another MG, have been told Hyundi are a better vehicle for spare parts availability.
This is a classic example of what worries me should be an off the shelf part shouldn’t it ???

If it wouldn't pass the MOT standard for play it isn't safe. If you're not certain about this, ask an approved tester to give an opinion.
I totally agree !.
If you can feel free play at the steering wheel, where you are slightly turning it and the wheels on the car do not respond, then this not safe to use or acceptable.
We have seen cases when one of the lower steering column universal joints, have completely failed.
As @Alb has said, have it checked again.

I totally agree !.
If you can feel free play at the steering wheel, where you are slightly turning it and the wheels on the car do not respond, then this not safe to use or acceptable.
We have seen cases when one of the lower steering column universal joints, have completely failed.
As @Alb has said, have it checked again.
Thanks for the feedback. Theres no loose play, its more like the MG pilot is on and the steering is very light and the slightest bump, hollow in the road makes the car wallow, its a bit like steering a boat, theres no resistance between the steering wheel and the road wheels, almost what it would be like if both front wheels were off the ground.

I've been waiting for a new steering column since 14th June
It's possible that you are waiting for a part that isn't even needed. And the part you actually need might be in stock in the UK!

But how to convince the mighty dealer that the customer with his YouTube knowledge actually might know what he's talking about?

Of course, this might not be your situation at all. But it might be worth investigating.

This is one of my worries about MG and other EVs
Geoff lovemyev had a similar issue a short while ago with a rear brake problem was waiting a good while for parts to arrive to do the repair and he’s not the only one who has mentioned problems with spare parts on here it is worrying but if it’s not safe to drive you should be given a loan car without question.
Les

This is one of my worries about MG and other EVs
Geoff lovemyev had a similar issue a short while ago with a rear brake problem was waiting a good while for parts to arrive to do the repair and he’s not the only one who has mentioned problems with spare parts on here it is worrying but if it’s not safe to drive you should be given a loan car without question.
Les
Agreed Les.
We where without our ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) for almost a month, waiting for a handbrake actuator ( motor ) and a O/S/R brake calliper to arrive.
Both parts cost less than £200 if I remember correctly.
The actual job to install the parts ( when they arrived ) was less than two hours.
MG did provide us with a suitable car ( not an EV ) for the almost the four weeks.
The car hire cost to MG must have been close to £2,000.
Not a sustainable cost effective option in my opinion.
If you unlucky enough to need spare parts and they are not held in the U.K. then you are going to have a LONG wait.
The ZS model has been around a while now, so you would expect parts to be more readily available in the U.K.
Many of the parts from the ICE model will be compatible with the EV model, but if you require an item that is EV model specific ( like in our case ) you in for a wait.
With the huge increase in MG volume sales, then the back up services really needs to keep step with the sales.
With regards to the problems / supply of some cars with the lower steering column UJ failure, I am surprised that the supply of these items are not more readily available by now ?.
It does appear to be a fairly common issue that is only being addressed on a single “one on one” customer
basis ?.
Customer reports the fault to the dealer, car is booked in and investigated.
If you are lucky, the correct diagnosis is reported back to MG for authority to order / replace the affected part(s).
Dealer then orders the parts, to find they are on “back order” with a long lead time.
Why not just ship in a larger number of these items into U.K. stock, to avoid the long lead times and wait times for both the customer and the dealer ?.
I know this can not be done with every single part of course, but in this case there is a know common failure point.
The dealer that repaired our car is not just a MG dealer, they sell and service three other makes of cars.
There spares department said they hate ordering parts for MG because the lead times are rarely ever short.
It offers little visibility into details on the system.
I asked the guy if the items we required for our car where a popular request ?.
He said :- “We have absolutely not way of telling, the information on the system is extremely limited, if we need a ETA for a part, we have to contact MG U.K. spares direct. Most of the parts will be shipped from China, hence the long wait time / delay”.
Our car sat on the dealer car park for almost 3 weeks awaiting the replacement parts.
We spent a LOT of money putting derv into the hire car over that time also.
We asked for a replacement EV but it was an instant straight - NO to that request !.

It's all about the volume of vehicles on the road. I've been told there is a ration of parts to vehicle numbers which the companies use. Agree it wouldn't hurt to carry a bit more stock though as we have similar issues in Australia with some parts. Hope you're fixed soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about the volume of vehicles on the road. I've been told there is a ration of parts to vehicle numbers which the companies use. Agree it wouldn't hurt to carry a bit more stock though as we have similar issues in Australia with some parts. Hope you're fixed soon.
Not really sure about that rationale if you want a good loyal customer base then you need to not only sell reliable vehicles but also have good infrastructure it feels like they haven’t thought about the after sales service it’s pretty ridiculous to have to wait weeks on end for a handbrake actuator come on MG !!!!!

It's all about the volume of vehicles on the road. I've been told there is a ration of parts to vehicle numbers which the companies use. Agree it wouldn't hurt to carry a bit more stock though as we have similar issues in Australia with some parts. Hope your fixed soon.
Thank you for your posting on this subject it appears things are not much different down under with spare parts. I’m not sure how or what the automotive company’s in China think, but it will cost them very dearly if it doesn’t improve quickly, because cars can and do need spare parts from time to time,and that goes for every make and model under the sun.

At this present time the MG models are becoming more and more on the roads of the UK, and right now the new MG4 as just this last week come here, and with a new updated MG5 to follow very shortly, and the more that come the more there is to have issues, and if the word gets out that vehicles are of he road for extended periods, because of the none availability of parts people will stop buying them.

There is also another question mark against these vehicles that are coming to us thick and fast, and that is with regard to the warranties, several makes are said to come with a 7 year warranty, but this is not the whole truth, as we known many parts of the vehicles have nothing like this 7 year cover as a lot of us know, an example in this last week on the forum was, where a member,I can’t remember who it was, but his car was of the road due to a problem with a 12 volt battery a major component to any vehicle, warranty on this is 1 year, there is lots in the forum about warranties and what’s cover for what so I won’t go on, so does the vehicles come with what the stickers say on the rear window well only parts of it do.

It’s not just MG that has these warranty promises, it has been quoted again that another very large Chinese manufacturer BYD is coming to the United Kingdom very soon, and I have just watched this video below about what they are doing in Australia, so have a watch in it he shows a picture about 5 minutes into it, of what is covered and for how long in their BYD warranty there is some similarities with other manufacturers I’m sure you will agree and before everyone starts going on about wear & tear etc, the cars are being sold and have gained sales now and in the past by this statement of extended warranties.
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom