Resetting TPMS?

Camg

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi
Do anyone now how to turn of the TPMS lamp? It got on after I changed the tyres and wont come off. I checked that the pressure are according to the manual.

I'm sure I read on here that driving for a while at a reasonable speed (i.e. not crawling around) should reset them. How far have you driven since the tyre change?

Did you just change the tyres or did you change the wheels ?

Not 100% sure here, but I think the car "logs" what wheel is fitted to which wheel when the TPMS system is first set.
I don't even think you can rotate the wheels into different locations without having the TPMS system reset.
I THINK you need a piece of equipment in order to reset the system.
I believe the car only has the ability to store one set of 4 values in the system.
It's fine to remove the wheels from the car, but they have to be refitted to the same location is my understanding.
Is anybody able to confirm or dismiss my understanding please folks !.

Is it as easy as changing the valves? And how hard is it?
This is one of a very few things I don't like with the car.
(Another being that it can't tow a trailer)

Is it as easy as changing the valves? And how hard is it?
This is one of a very few things I don't like with the car.
(Another being that it can't tow a trailer)
If you intend to switch out your original valves from your old wheels, then transfer them to the new wheels.
I would suggest that you mark each valve, so they can be restored to the very same location on the car.
The car stores which ( TPMS ) sensor, is fitted to each location.
You can not do a normal wheel / tyre rotation without resetting the TPMS on the ZS EV.

And more frustrating, it's a pain changing shoes on the car, from winter boots to sandals 🥸
A few owners have purchased a second set of second hand wheels & tyres ( if you are lucky ) for winter use.
VW wheels are a popular choice by all accounts, but you will need the VW wheel bolts as well because the angle of countersink in the rim is different on the VW rims to the MG rims.
This is only possible if budget allows of course and you have room to store the four extra wheels.
Switching out the tyres constantly on the OEM rims, comes with the risk of getting the alloys damaged at some point by the tyre machine.
Diamond cut rims are NOT cheap to replace or have refurbed for that matter.
You would need a second set of TPMS sensors as well.
Either MG units or some after market units.
I believe the car can only store one set of TPMS readings at one time, so this would need resetting each time you flip the wheels also.
Just something else to consider I guess !.

Hot it delivered with two set of shoes.
The pain is that the car can't remember both sets of sensors ☹

The car only has the ability to store 4 wheels, so every time I change from winter to summer wheels & back again I need to visit an MG dealer. Really annoying.
That is the thing that annoys me also as winter tyres in Scotland is a great asset, the trouble is it is now a legal requirement to have them on new cars, has anybody had a car that you could change wheels and it could recognise both sets, maybe a software update could allow it?

ISTR someone saying there was a brand of TPMS sensors that you could program to clone an existing set, so it would then just be a case of swapping the wheels over but keeping the same sensor/wheel position. E.g .Sensor cloned off front offside wheel needs to go on new front offside wheel etc.

ISTR someone saying there was a brand of TPMS sensors that you could program to clone an existing set, so it would then just be a case of swapping the wheels over but keeping the same sensor/wheel position. E.g .Sensor cloned off front offside wheel needs to go on new front offside wheel etc.
Llike the sound of that

Hello
Please read your user manual, last week had a screw in tyre so slow puncher. I read the manual on this system
1 you can not rotate tyre from front back eg
2 the hub wheel the came off must go back on same hub.
3 you wish move tyre round your wheels will need to take back to MG to remap the Sensors located to each hub.

I knackered a tyre last week (one of the fronts) so when I put a new tyre on, I also rotated the tyres, front to back, and the TPMS is working fine. Just need to remember the fronts on the screen are the rears on the car, and vice versa.
That’s interesting !.
So, the car does not throw up any warning messages, when you do a front to back rotation.
It just reports the wheels in location that it was programmed too.
Could be a bit confusing if you forget, but interesting to know - thanks !.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom