Richmond Portsmouth - MG Dealer Discussion, Opinions & Experiences

Bought my MG ZS Exclusive from Richmond Portsmouth in December 2020. Really good sales team, very professional and human. I purchased a service plan with the car which I subsequently asked to change when I heard about the newly introduced low mileage plan. Richmond didn’t have any details of the new plan (and still don’t) so they cancelled my plan before the 1st direct debit was taken and have sent me 2 emails since letting me know they are on the case and will send me details when they have them. No problems with the car at this early stage in my ownership and I’m happy with the after sales attention to date.

Just bought my MG5 EVSW Exclusive in Red (only one in stock). The sales team were friendly and helpful.
I had swatted on YouTube MG podcasts and Tom and Kate reviews helped so they had an easy sale.
Lots of IT issues and it took about 10 days from order to collection.
Still awaiting a protect pack to come in before it can be fitted.
Overall happy with the service in these strange times.

Bought our MG5 SR from Richmond Portsmouth. Found them helpful and friendly. Good support, and they responded promptly and well to a minor issue with the infotainment unit. No complaints here.

collected our zs ev from them on lease,found them very helpfull and they even included a granny charger and type 2 cable and floor mats,excellent.

Just put a deposit down today on a EV5 excite after a very nice test drive and chat to Rory (sales man ) and Mathew (his boss)
Both honest polite and helpful

Have ordered my 4 Trophy with them and have been very helpful and are keeping me in the loop on delivery albeit not much info yet. Sam has been very accommodating and they took my 5 Excite in back in December as I didn’t want it at home whilst we are having building work done. I have an old Golf to run about in until the new car arrives so all good so far

My MG4 has a 12 volt red battery warning light and on testing a sub 12v reading, so I took my car in today to see what they could do. I also need a software update and the gearbox breather sorted.

Bear in mind the 12v battery issue is a potential show stopper the earliest they could book me in was the 4th September! I could have left the car with them but they couldn't promise any response. So I'll be keeping my multimeter to hand along with a 12v battery charger.

Perhaps the issue will resolve itself? Would temporarily disconnecting the 12v battery possibly help reset the issue?

Have you contacted other dealers? That level of delay is completely unacceptable.

Not yet. I only wandered in there this morning. I don't suppose Richmond Southampton will be much better, but worth a try I suppose. I'll research the location of other dealers too in case I have to be flat-bedded, or if they are accessible.

It gets better.. the 12v battery issue IS a show stopper. Unless my currently ongoing attempt to charge the 12v battery using a smart charger succeeds they'll be having my car in on a flatbed.. Unable to charge the car either by granny or7kW ,various error messages regarding the car thinking it's still charging, the 12v level going down, and by the time I returned with the smart charger it will no longer turn on..

Incidentally, I've received an email from SAIC saying my airbag has triggered an alarm - about an hour ago, possibly when the 12v system went below certain parameters.

Better news! I disconnected the battery and charged it. When I reconnected after an overnight charge the car started up again ok, although it took a little while for one or two modules to initiate (I assume) judging by some of the advisory messages.

The warning light for the main to 12v battery module didn't come back on and the voltage has been maintained during a day out and a 120 mile round trip with plenty of use of AC.

Another anecdote to add to the 'have you tried disconnecting it?' collection of stories.. But no thanks to Richmond Portsmouth. A quick word with actual service personnel and a minute disconnection would probably have resolved it quicker, and it's what I'll immediately do if I ever seem that warning light again.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom