Rolec Smart Charger

Bazzer44

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Rolec charger and use the ev app for smart charging
There are no issues that concern me but I wonder is there anyone on here that has the Rolec but use a different app for smart charging?

I have a Rolec charger and use the ev app for smart charging
There are no issues that concern me but I wonder is there anyone on here that has the Rolec but use a different app for smart charging?
I use the same with no problems either..

I just wondered if there was an alternative app, it could be better , there again it could confirm we have a decent app for its purpose

Can one of you explain how you use the app and what electricity supplier you have and whether it enables you to charge the car for less cash than using a granny charger plugged into a standard 13A socket supplied by Ecotricity.? I would be most grateful. Thanks.

Can one of you explain how you use the app and what electricity supplier you have and whether it enables you to charge the car for less cash than using a granny charger plugged into a standard 13A socket supplied by Ecotricity.? I would be most grateful. Thanks.
Hi Tim - I have the older “Dumb” type Rolec wall box that has been adapted with a Wi - Fi relay to allow timed charging.
Having a wall box and the ability to set a timed charge, gives you the opportunity to benefit from the use of a EV friendly “Off Peak” tariff like Octopus 🐙 Go or in my case the e.on EV tariff.
To use these cheaper tariffs, you need to have a “Smart” SMES 2 type meter installed by your energy suppler.
Your “Off Peak” rate will be around the 5 to 8 pence / kw which is a lot cheaper than a standard daily tariff of course.
Your “Granny” will need to be controlled by some type of a timer device, which can then be controlled by an App on your phone.
Or you could preset a timer on the device and not use an App ?.
It depends on your usage really, most EV owners are on some type of Off Peak tariff due to the cheaper price of energy late at night.
If you don’t already have a walk box, I would strongly recommended having one installed for long term usage.
It will reduce your charging time by 50% over using the supplied “Granny” unit.

Hi Tim
I am with SSE on their Fix & Drive Tariff, they give the equivalent of 8000 miles charge free , but you have to charge between 12 midnight and 8 am
I am a lazy devil and like my bed so put the charger on at say 11 or 11.30 , so ev.energy put it to trickle charge till it got to 12
So since January I have put 127 kw into the car at a cost of £3.27 . In that is a charge during normal times when I have experimented so to speak
We are fortunate in West Yorkshire with quite e few free chargers which I have used
Hope this ramble helps and makes sense

Due to my daily energy usage with three kids the dual tariffs don’t really work out for me and so I’ve stayed with EDF on a single price...was paying .1170 pence per KWh for the last year since May, but is increasing from 1st June to EDF Go May 22 to just over .14 pence per KWh; this works for me...

Due to my daily energy usage with three kids the dual tariffs don’t really work out for me and so I’ve stayed with EDF on a single price...was paying .1170 pence per KWh for the last year since May, but is increasing from 1st June to EDF Go May 22 to just over .14 pence per KWh; this works for me...
Hi Mark - Our energy prices at the moment area generally higher than last year, or if not they about to increase very soon.
I think we will all be paying a bit more than we where paying last year.
Still a lot cheaper than fossil fuel that’s for sure !.

Hi Tim
I am with SSE on their Fix & Drive Tariff, they give the equivalent of 8000 miles charge free , but you have to charge between 12 midnight and 8 am
I am a lazy devil and like my bed so put the charger on at say 11 or 11.30 , so ev.energy put it to trickle charge till it got to 12
So since January I have put 127 kw into the car at a cost of £3.27 . In that is a charge during normal times when I have experimented so to speak
We are fortunate in West Yorkshire with quite e few free chargers which I have used
Hope this ramble helps and makes sense
Don't forget it's not just about the overnight rate, also consider the daytime rate and what you use and also the daily standing charge comes into play. It can sometimes be easy to get distracted by those cheap overnight rates and forget the rest.

I'm with Avro and the price per kWh is 12.6p anytime of day and standing charge of 14.7p/day. (both inc VAT)

I did the sums and for my mileage and home usage none of the EV tariffs, yet, have worked out cheaper for me.
I have just quoted myself above, probably bad etiquette but who cares !

As a low mileage user, and as you mentioned plenty of free chargers about, currently a dual tariff doesn't work for me financially. Why pay more for 18 hours a day every day, plus a higher standing charge just so I can get some cheap occasionally overnight.

I have just quoted myself above, probably bad etiquette but who cares !

As a low mileage user, and as you mentioned plenty of free chargers about, currently a dual tariff doesn't work for me financially. Why pay more for 18 hours a day every day, plus a higher standing charge just so I can get some cheap occasionally overnight.
I agree, it’s case by case basis.
I would guess if you are only covering about 3 to 5 thousand a year, then there is little or no gain being on a standard.
Unless you are using electric heating of course.
As your annual mileage increases, then the savings increase in line.

We do pay quite a lot for electricity per month, about £180 per month. I can't see how I could confine most of that to between midnight and 8 am. So I think its probably not worth the hassle trying when I only do about 6000 miles per year in the EV.

Wow - £180.00 per month for electric only.
Do you have a heated swimming pool by any chance 🥵🤣.
If I was paying that sort of figure, I would looking at ANY way to reduce my electricity costs to be honest.
😭😭😭😭

Mine is about 138 per month without my free charging trips...
3 children usually means every light in the house left on, in rooms that nobody is using of course, TV's and music playing away to the sofa and tablets / phones ( if they are old enough ) on charge pretty much all of the time.
Older children in the shower for at LEAST thirty minutes.
Then the minute you turn the lights back off, they suddenly appear to turn themselves back on just like magic.
Been there - done that Mark !.
I always find it strange, that when they are old enough to afford there own property, they never seem to leave any of the lights on, in rooms they are not using......... Strange ?????.
Go figure !.
It's all okay when "Dad" is paying the bill, but that all soon changes.
My Dad use to say to me :- "As they get bigger, so do the problems".
How right he was ( bless him ).

3 children usually means every light in the house left on, in rooms that nobody is using of course, TV's and music playing away to the sofa and tablets / phones ( if they are old enough ) on charge pretty much all of the time.
Older children in the shower for at LEAST thirty minutes.
Then the minute you turn the lights back off, they suddenly appear to turn themselves back on just like magic.
Been there - done that Mark !.
I always find it strange, that when they are old enough to afford there own property, they never seem to leave any of the lights on, in rooms they are not using......... Strange ?????.
Go figure !.
It's all okay when "Dad" is paying the bill, but that all soon changes.
My Dad use to say to me :- "As they get bigger, so do the problems".
How right he was ( bless him ).
You’ve got my family do to a tee......spot on....

We do pay quite a lot for electricity per month, about £180 per month. I can't see how I could confine most of that to between midnight and 8 am. So I think its probably not worth the hassle trying when I only do about 6000 miles per year in the EV.

Blimey our gas and electric cost is £90 per month

Mine is about 138 per month without my free charging trips...

My gas and electric combined is £50 / month. What am I doing wrong ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom