• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Roof bar position

biffo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I’m a little confused. When I had my Ford, it was all so clear in the manual

1632073462668.png

All the MG5 manual says is:

“Pay attention to the following when using the roof luggage rack:
• Fix loads towards the front of the roof as far as possible,
and distribute the roof load evenly.”

Talk about a woolly description!! Anyway, fitted my bars as close to the front join as I dared and used the 800mm from Ford manual. Roof box will accept spacing 620mm and 870mm - so I’ve no idea whether to bring bars closer or move further apart (to be near the rear join). Or leave them as they are.

Anyone fitted bars? Where did you place them?

1632073939057.jpeg

1632073985419.jpeg

Personally, I put the front bar just behind the front join, and the back just in front of the back join (so, pretty much as close to the rail mountings as possible.). No real science behind this other than it seems to make sense, and fits nicely with my roof box so that I can open the boot without hitting it and it doesn’t hang over the front window.

Tempted to leave front one where it is and move rear to 870mm (or less if it would overlap the join). It’s a 200cm long roof box so I’ll need to check boot still opens once in position. Just now there will be a 600mm overhang at front and rear. Time for more measuring.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom