• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

ROOF BARS FOR MG HS PHEV

D

Deleted member 6213

Hi Does anyone know of some alternative options for HS roof bars?

The only ones I can find so far that definitely fit are those direct from MG. To be honest they are significantly more expensive than the Thule ones I had purchased not that long ago for my VW Tiguan, which the HS replaced. Sadly having checked I cannot get the Thule ones to fit the MG as there are no feet / adapters available.

I note there are quite a few universal ones for cars with closed roof rails , any suggestions?

Thank you

I got some universal ones

Maypole 1.2m 90kg Locking Aluminium Car Roof Bars Cross for Profile Flush Rail​

They are £55 and do the job , but I think any universal ones of the same style should work.
I used them and travelled a return trip to wales from Birmingham with a full roof box with no trouble and surprisingly quiet for roof bars..
This particular type has a quirk ( in my eyes) when setting them up ( this may be as they are universal so need a setting up time as all cars are different) , and I'm not sure if all of this type are the same.
It may sound strange how you set them up , but really it was easy and they have been great , but I think its worth letting you know.
Like some roof bars they have a rubber strip ( RSJ shaped) that slides into a groove on the top as a cushion which goes along the whole length on the roof bars from end cap to end cap , and this is cut to fit snuggly so no movement can take place, when the end caps are inserted at the end of the setup process.
Underneath it has the same configuration, but this will be cut into 3 sections and this is where you have to carefully measure the roof bars as the locking mechanisms need to be inserted in the underneath groove.
I did it by placing them on the cars rails so the locking mechanism sit on the rails and moving the bars as they are not fixed and move easily, so the overhang of the bars each side of the locking mechanism is the same. Once in the position I wanted I used a pencil to mark either side of the locking mechanisms on the underneath of the bar( this is very hard to try to explain something quiet easy lol ) . so you should have 4 pencil marks, 2 inner and 2 outer ones
So you then cut a rubber strip to fit snug between the 2 inner pencil marks ( this stops the locking mechanisms from moving closer to each other when they are in place ) then you cut 2 more between the outer pencil marks and the end of the bar ( to stop the mechanisms moving out).
So put the inner strip in , then the locking mechanisms , the the 2 out strips , then once the end caps are put in place , these hold everything together and nothing can move.
Again this does not sound very secure , but nothing has moved since I've done this.
This has to be done only once when you first have them , as you now have them set up correctly they will always fit.
As a note it took a good 30 mins to get them adjusted to the correct width of our roof rails.
Also note the rails distance are wider at the front of the car than the back of the car , so you need to do the set up on both bars ( not assume by doing the one it will be the same measurements for the other) and so you will have to place them in approximately the same place every time.
I hope this makes sense ( it does to me , nut i have done it lol )

I got some universal ones

Maypole 1.2m 90kg Locking Aluminium Car Roof Bars Cross for Profile Flush Rail​

They are £55 and do the job , but I think any universal ones of the same style should work.
I used them and travelled a return trip to wales from Birmingham with a full roof box with no trouble and surprisingly quiet for roof bars..
This particular type has a quirk ( in my eyes) when setting them up ( this may be as they are universal so need a setting up time as all cars are different) , and I'm not sure if all of this type are the same.
It may sound strange how you set them up , but really it was easy and they have been great , but I think its worth letting you know.
Like some roof bars they have a rubber strip ( RSJ shaped) that slides into a groove on the top as a cushion which goes along the whole length on the roof bars from end cap to end cap , and this is cut to fit snuggly so no movement can take place, when the end caps are inserted at the end of the setup process.
Underneath it has the same configuration, but this will be cut into 3 sections and this is where you have to carefully measure the roof bars as the locking mechanisms need to be inserted in the underneath groove.
I did it by placing them on the cars rails so the locking mechanism sit on the rails and moving the bars as they are not fixed and move easily, so the overhang of the bars each side of the locking mechanism is the same. Once in the position I wanted I used a pencil to mark either side of the locking mechanisms on the underneath of the bar( this is very hard to try to explain something quiet easy lol ) . so you should have 4 pencil marks, 2 inner and 2 outer ones
So you then cut a rubber strip to fit snug between the 2 inner pencil marks ( this stops the locking mechanisms from moving closer to each other when they are in place ) then you cut 2 more between the outer pencil marks and the end of the bar ( to stop the mechanisms moving out).
So put the inner strip in , then the locking mechanisms , the the 2 out strips , then once the end caps are put in place , these hold everything together and nothing can move.
Again this does not sound very secure , but nothing has moved since I've done this.
This has to be done only once when you first have them , as you now have them set up correctly they will always fit.
As a note it took a good 30 mins to get them adjusted to the correct width of our roof rails.
Also note the rails distance are wider at the front of the car than the back of the car , so you need to do the set up on both bars ( not assume by doing the one it will be the same measurements for the other) and so you will have to place them in approximately the same place every time.
I hope this makes sense ( it does to me , nut i have done it lol )
Thanks so much and I get the gist of what your saying as is similar to some I have had previously for one of my Mondeos. I will have a look and thanks again :)

oh good, im glad you get the idea as you have had a similar roof bars because i was no too sure i had explained it good enough lol

Hi Carpy from here

I’m not sure if you’re supposed to fit anything - roof rack or box to the roof if there’s a glass roof or sunroof. I couldn’t on my Vauxhall Zafira a few years ago. It was due to wind resistance.

I just ordered a set too , although the price has now gone up to £65.00 on the link you kindly sent Jem111111 so I got them from Ebay £5.00 cheaper in the end :)

I think you may have a point Rob certainly worth double checking. Although I have the Excite model , oddly they did not have the Exclusive on our company car list, so no glass roof for me !

While researching the HS, there was an article saying that the manufacturer roof bars on the ZS are there for purely cosmetic reasons and are load bearing, I'm not sure if that carries over for the HS.

oops sorry on typo above. Article said they are not load bearing. The person involved complained to MG head office and all they said was if you need a car for a trip which is load bearing, they will loan you a courtesy car???

I thought there was no problem with the ZS , I know thee was an issue for the MG 5 , there were stated as cosmetic only. This has now been updated ( as they have passed certain tests) and can carry 75kg i think.

I thought there was no problem with the ZS , I know thee was an issue for the MG 5 , there were stated as cosmetic only. This has now been updated ( as they have passed certain tests) and can carry 75kg i think.
Yep - this MG Price List shows 75kg for ZS, 35kg for MG5 Standard Range & 50kg for HS - with MG5 Long Range having 75kg now too.

Well my roof rails arrived and they are 1.35m (75kg). Checked order and definitely 1.2m (90kg). This will be a phone call tomorrow. :(

Well my roof rails arrived and they are 1.35m (75kg). Checked order and definitely 1.2m (90kg). This will be a phone call tomorrow. :(
Your profile says that you have a HS EV with a 50kg roof limit?

So you’re gonna be limited to the maximum roof rating of your car irrespective of the rating of the bars?

But, if you didn’t get what you paid for, then guess it’s better to contact seller 👍

I have had exactly the same thing.

I had ordered from Ebay via a company called Motionperformance Waxacar the Maypole 1.2m bars but Summit 1.35m bars turn up. Contacted them, no apology just do you want a discount to keep or return? I returned as was not impressed with their customer service and worst still I had to make a special trip to a post office to drop them off even though not my mistake as they were not willing to drop off the correct ones for an exchange.

So I ordered from Netagon and guess what, exactly the same thing has happened, which I thought was odd, I mean what are the chances of a different company making exactly the same mistake, but having checked Motionperformance Waxacar and Netagon are... yes you guessed it one of the same.
The 135cm bars are too long for the HS so not good at all and how can a company keep sending these out when you have ordered a completely different make and size.

Also I was concerned that they state they are TUV GS certified but there was nothing on the Summit bars delivered (although the TUV/GS label is clearly on the bars themselves in the images) or on the box or the manual to confirm this.

I will be in contact on Monday but not expecting any more help than the last time and going on Holiday next Thursday so running out of time... typical !

Last edited by a moderator:
Your profile says that you have a HS EV with a 50kg roof limit?

So you’re gonna be limited to the maximum roof rating of your car irrespective of the rating of the bars?

But, if you didn’t get what you paid for, then guess it’s better to contact seller 👍
Yes I will stick to the weight in the car spec not the bars.

I have had exactly the same thing.

I had ordered from Ebay via a company called Motionperformance Waxacar the Maypole 1.2m bars but Summit 1.35m bars turn up. Contacted them, no apology just do you want a discount to keep or return? I returned as was not impressed with their customer service and worst still I had to make a special trip to a post office to drop them off even though not my mistake as they were not willing to drop off the correct ones for an exchange.

So I ordered from Netagon and guess what, exactly the same thing has happened, which I thought was odd, I mean what are the chances of a different company making exactly the same mistake, but having checked Motionperformance Waxacar and Netagon are... yes you guessed it one of the same.
The 135cm bars are too long for the HS so not good at all and how can a company keep sending these out when you have ordered a completely different make and size.

Also I was concerned that they state they are TUV GS certified but there was nothing on the Summit bars delivered (although the TUV/GS label is clearly on the bars themselves in the images) or on the box or the manual to confirm this.

I will be in contact on Monday but not expecting any more help than the last time and going on Holiday next Thursday so running out of time... typical !
Well, I probably got your returned 1.35 Summit bars! They had been opened before I got them.

Attachments

• Roof Bars.jpg
    Roof Bars.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 229
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom