• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

markreeves11

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I know a few have been asking about roof bars. Thule now do a set for the Mg4. They fit brilliantly, look good to. My bikes been on and the roof box will be on next week. Not noticed any loss in miles, but the weather is getting warmer

I assume you're aware that the MG4 is not (currently) rated for any roof load, so you may have insurance issues in the event of having to make a claim?

#Killjoy

I know a few have been asking about roof bars. Thule now do a set for the Mg4. They fit brilliantly, look good to. My bikes been on and the roof box will be on next week. Not noticed any loss in miles, but the weather is getting warmer
Awesome, did you take any photos. I'm a Yakima/whispbar fan myself so I'll research any vehicle cross compatibility with the Thule mounting kit and work out which Yakima kit will fit. Just needed a starting point like this so thanks.

I assume you're aware that the MG4 is not (currently) rated for any roof load, so you may have insurance issues in the event of having to make a claim?

#Killjoy
I remember reading the roof rack isn't supported. What's the worst that can happen to the car with one?

I remember reading the roof rack isn't supported. What's the worst that can happen to the car with one?
The main risk I suppose would be that something comes loose from the roof rack and causes an accident behind you, then you are found liable and your insurance (if they realise) is invalidated because the MG4 is not certified to carry a roof rack - and presumably you didn't inform your insurance of this 'modification' in the first place (required for almost any change, even including stickers on the car for some insurers).

Or, someone hits you and your roofrack detaches and strikes another vehicle / pedestrian / damages the public thoroughfare.

Is any of this likely? No idea, but that would be the theoretical risk.

If it happened, you could be easily be bankrupted.

#Killjoy
It's rated in Europe, which questions a company developing a foot package for a vehicle which isn't rated but sold for a UK car. Especially Thule, probably the biggest roof bar company. It's been tested and approved by thule, which is good enough for me. Especially when it's a £6k race bike sitting on top .
Either way, they fit brilliant and the race bike will be on top .

It's rated in Europe, which questions a company developing a foot package for a vehicle which isn't rated but sold for a UK car. Especially Thule, probably the biggest roof bar company. It's been tested and approved by thule, which is good enough for me. Especially when it's a £6k race bike sitting on top .
Either way, they fit brilliant and the race bike will be on top .
Just go for it mate, I know I will be. I'm sure it's probably good intentions, but some seem obsessed with the insurance angle. I've never even thought about informing my insurance company when fitting a box to my ice car and I'm pretty sure if you polled people randomly who had there'd be a high percentage the same.

Here's them fitted, photos taken from a different forum

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-08-13-05-14-310_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-08-13-05-14-310_com.android.chrome.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 445
Does anyone have any experience of roof bars & box on an MG5?
i have the Thule box i used on my old Skoda (would just need new bars), or would one of those semi-flexible ones be more aerodynamic?

Does anyone have any experience of roof bars & box on an MG5?
i have the Thule box i used on my old Skoda (would just need new bars), or would one of those semi-flexible ones be more aerodynamic?
You probably just need a new mounting kit. Just check what you need for each vehicle on the Thule website and check which bars, feet/mounting kits are used, with a bit of luck your existing bar type/lengths are cross compatible

Bounced a quick Online Chat question to my Insurer ... So to them the Roof Rack is not classed as a Modification - My Insurance will not be affected by fitting a Roof Rack to my MG4 - All Fine as far as they were concerned - 'No comment' when I mentioned that MG UK were currently saying nope where as Europe Owners can ...

VCA replied - Saying... cant share details... However this looks as though its an aftermarket product and not something assessed in type Approval (& therefore outside their remit)
& although there isn't specific regulation addressing Roof Racks, there are requirements that the roof racks themselves would need to follow (which is fine as my racks are Thule ones) detailing what is acceptable for overhanging loads (a Bike Isnt Over Hanging)

That puts me back at - I have no idea What or Where MG UK are 'held up' with this approval & puzzled over a comment that I had re 'Europe have more than likely completed further 'development on this' that MG UK have not done yet'

I question - What Development - Could they have done some modifications to All of the European roofs re Roof Strengthening ?

So I guess?? If we UK Owners Choose to ignore MG's comments and a Buy Thule kit today - Then I think Its down to MG to Either accept any warranty issues re the use of a Roof Rack or Say Nope its been nulled??

Not that I've ever had to make a warranty claim re the use of a Roof Rack on any previous cars ?!

When I order my ZS trophy connect, it was advertised for 75kg roofload in March 22. The figure is also in owner manual. I would expect my ZS can carry roofload legally although the latest model roofload capacity is 0kg.
I bought Thule footpack 7104 for mount on ZS trophy roofrail.
IMG_20230601_090359.jpg

When I order my ZS trophy connect, it was advertised for 75kg roofload in March 22. The figure is also in owner manual. I would expect my ZS can carry roofload legally although the latest model roofload capacity is 0kg.
I bought Thule footpack 7104 for mount on ZS trophy roofrail. View attachment 17952
Had 125kg of timber on my early ZS during lockdown delivery restrictions, only drove 2 miles acr town though at low speed.

Attachments

• IMG_8269.jpeg
    IMG_8269.jpeg
    668.1 KB · Views: 309
So I emailed MG for a follow up on what's the delay in the UK version being approved for Roof Racks (even though there is no known difference between UK and mainland Euro roofs - I'll ignore the steering wheel location hahah) - & yes - No response as of yet - No surprise...

So I've Ordered these ...

As I have the bars already... Better to have them so 'when' not if MG say approved - I'm all sorted.

In the meantime - I have the fork mount to use inside the car lol

Why wait for MG to say it ok to use? There’s no legal issue for securing loads to a car roof, apart from making sure the load is secure and not overhanging, you can even tie stuff down straight on the roof. The roof is designed to support the weight of the car after all although I wouldn’t recommend testing this as it’s quite a challenge to flip it over 😆

MG ZS EV roof load is 75kg accoring to user manual.

MG ZS EV roof "rail" load is 0kg according to latest spec on mg.co.uk.

So you can strap your load securely on roof but do not use roof rail :)
Screenshot_20230616_150158.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom