MG4 Roof rack

SomewhereOverTheRainbow

Standard Member
Reaction score
It's mentioned in the specifications and reviews that the MG4 does not support a roof rack, but I don't fully understand why this is the case. Clearly from the photos, there aren't roof rails for this, but there are other systems for attaching a roof rack that don't require rails. I can't see the added weight being an issue, as the weight of the roof rack is distributed over the side pillars of the car which should be able to take that load (if not, then is the car crushed into a pancake if turned over under its own weight during an accident, as an example???).

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Remember seeing that the MG5 owners, where the car even has roof bars, were told that they were decorative only and shouldn't be used for a roof rack.

On the MG5 the did say that you could use the bars up to 35Kg on the SR and the LR 75Kg.

It can also be due to limits on the car's gross vehicle weight, or relating to stability for things like "moose tests".
As you state the structure must be capable of taking the weight.

Hmm. This has stopped me ordering an MG4 ev today. The garage confirmed -someone else had queried it - and no, they said it wouldn't take roof bars. Looking at other cars now. 🤔

Yes the MG4 is not certified for a roof rack, which means you will probably invalidate your insurance if you add one.

They have never said to my knowledge if it isn’t designed for one or it just has not been certified. It might get retrospectively certified like the MG5, not impossible.

Hmm. This has stopped me ordering an MG4 ev today. The garage confirmed -someone else had queried it - and no, they said it wouldn't take roof bars. Looking at other cars now. 🤔
I was in the same predicament until I learned about the load carrying platforms you can attach to a tow bar. I actually think they’re better now as they don’t increase the cars surface area against the wind and you don’t have to reach up to get stuff out. I called my local dealers and they said they believe they will be getting the parts in to install tow bars around January.

You can only have 50kg nose weight on the tow hitch and that includes the luggage and the box.

The car can tow 500kg. Thats pretty low but is a very decent luggage carrier if you want a trailer instead.

Id suggest carrier systems might also put some load on the tailgate as 50kg is a fairly standard hitch load and there are a lot of bike carriers about.

The rear axle load is likely the realistic limiter

Interesting!
Here’s the rear carrier I used on two of my previous vehicles. It was absolutely brilliant and carried everything from garden waste to hot water cylinders effortlessly. The picture with the furry toys was to tease my daughter in law about having a rearward facing child seat installed and ready for their visit from the USA 😂😂. The carrier was superb - actually more useful and more often used than the trailer I had.

Attachments

• A01D6EB8-60CF-4044-A7A1-41BDCDD65138.jpeg
    A01D6EB8-60CF-4044-A7A1-41BDCDD65138.jpeg
    815.6 KB · Views: 365
  • 33550FB7-4412-4CB4-82AD-988F574923A0.jpeg
    33550FB7-4412-4CB4-82AD-988F574923A0.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 358
MG4 is good for 60kg roof load.
I ordered mine with both roof rack and tow bar but I havent desided what type of ski-box I am going to put on top.. cannot find one in orange color :D

Attachments

• Bekreftelse 60kg taklast MG4.pdf
    322.9 KB · Views: 912
MG4 is good for 60kg roof load.
I ordered mine with both roof rack and tow bar but I havent desided what type of ski-box I am going to put on top.. cannot find one in orange color :D
Did you get a price quote for the roof rack? I found the tow bar was quite expensive, like 18 500 NOK or something.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 487 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back