• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Roof rails (again)

Johncc

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at the specs on the long range MG5 the roof rails have a 75kg weight limit. Has anyone seen if the high range MG has different high weight rails?

Anecdotal evidence suggests that they're not visibly different and may be the same bars but with the appropriate approvals in place for the higher load rating - but I've not been to the dealer to compare the Long Range demonstrator to a Standard Range model.

Last edited:
I couldn't see any joints on the rails in the video, but it was a bit difficult to see as the camera only panned past them a couple of times.

I'd be interested to know the 'true' difference too (if anything).

I don't really care for MG Pilot or the increased range but was looking to make the most of the roof rail weight limit on my new MG5. There's some flex to the current model if you give them a strong tug and wanted to know if its the same on the new one.

Worked very well... felt strong and no movement

thumbnail_20210731_102638.jpg

Which roof bars are you using? The Mont Blanc one's that MG are selling or another brand? I've got a set of Atera SIGNO RT 122cm bars I use with my Grand CMax that I'm hoping will fit - the roof rail profile looks similar
It was just some from Amazon for £30. I shared the link on another forum I think, they are very similar if not the same as the Aldi ones people were talking about. They fit well and are lockable. Do the job well.

Which roof bars are you using? The Mont Blanc one's that MG are selling or another brand? I've got a set of Atera SIGNO RT 122cm bars I use with my Grand CMax that I'm hoping will fit - the roof rail profile looks similar
They are called Hardcastle Aluminum lockable Aero dynamic roof bars. Ones I got aren't available now though

I couldn't see any joints on the rails in the video, but it was a bit difficult to see as the camera only panned past them a couple of times.
The current review videos seem to show the same roof rails. Has anyone tried to work out which manufacturer makes the roof rails? MG must have used their installation method and I haven't yet found any on the internet that are rated at 35kg. I can only assume MG UK used the manufacturers information for the initial 50kg rating. But as China were using them for decoration they were never road safety tested.

Last edited:
I suspect the answer lies hidden. There may well be supporting structure that we can’t see increasing the load rating rather than the difference being the less crucial rails on the surface.

There's probably no physical difference, probably just had time to test it thoroughly to ensure it can take 75kg instead of rushing it and to be safe let's just say 35kg.

There's probably no physical difference, probably just had time to test it thoroughly to ensure it can take 75kg instead of rushing it and to be safe let's just say 35kg.
I agree. I doubt they would upgrade the 35kg if they found it could handle more. They probably set the test weight low to make sure it passed and got rid of the criticism.

I agree. I doubt they would upgrade the 35kg if they found it could handle more. They probably set the test weight low to make sure it passed and got rid of the criticism.
Also... is the new one really 75kg? The original one was meant to be 50kg was it and then they went back on it. I wonder if that will happen with the long range? Has anyone actually seen any evidence of it officially being rated at 75kg?

Only seen the 75kg on the official website. You tube reviewers are quoting it too. I think after the first time MG UK will have told China that their customers don't expect to drive Christmas trees. They want roof rails that function and not just for decoration.

Last edited:
The manual for the MG5 Long Range says 75kg - as for what’s changed to allow 75kg rather than 35kg? Maybe nothing. Maybe something not obvious externally. Only matters if looking to retrofit or gain homologation for the Standard Range.

So long as it has a rating that won’t invalidate my insurance once my Kamei 510 box is up there with 50kg luggage, I’m happy.

E47E674A-4742-4513-92A9-5E3A8ACAE57B.png

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom