• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Roof rails decorative only

GMitch

Standard Member
Reaction score
The MG 5 Exclusive has roof rails, was advertised with roof bars, bike carrier and bike on top (now crudely airbrushed out), and until very recently MG were selling roof bars/bike carriers on the MG5 accessories page. However, the recently published manual says the roof bars are decorative only. So I asked for clarification. In response, I was sent this:

Dear Dealer Colleagues,
Following the initial launch of MG5 EV we have now received updated type approval documentation which confirms the roof rails on Exclusive versions are for decorative purposes only. Previously issued specification files stated a roof rail load capacity of 50kg, with early marketing material showing the use of roof bars and roof mounted accessories. Please ensure your customers are aware that it is not possible to mount accessories to the roof rails of MG5 EV.”

Crikey. That's strange. I went on holiday with our MG5 demonstator, and had a fully loaded roof box on top! Nothing fell off, or appeared insecure.
You must have been very lucky Miles...👍 the original post on this subject seems very strange, why on earth would you have them for decorative purposes only...!!

That's a bit of a game changer for some people. I'm not happy about that.
Including me.

Signed on the dotted line today for delivery 11th Jan and the dealer tried to sell me a roof mounted cycle rack!

I declined as I assumed I could probably find some way of transferring my three bike rack from the Mondeo to the MG5.

Sounds like someone covering their (MG) backs to me. Perhaps there was some sort of freak accident?

If the advice continues, it is definitely a shot in MG's own foot!

Sounds like someone covering their (MG) backs to me. Perhaps there was some sort of freak accident?

If the advice continues, it is definitely a shot in MG's own foot!
It does. But where does that leave people who choose to ignore the advice and use them anyway?

Looks like they haven't completely removed all the images with the roof rails in use from their website just yet.

This could turn in to a bit of a fiasco. I wonder if there's anything mg can do to just make them safe.

Watched the podcast last night and having the Exclusive on order was very interested in the MG5 roof rails discussion.
  • Evidently the dealer used a demo car with the car fully loaded and the roof rails in use with no apparent problems.
  • Buried in the manual page 62, it clearly states they are for decoration and may be dangerous if loaded.
  • Thank heavens he was not in an accident. If he was, would his insurance have been void?
  • Evidently it was a communication mix up with the manufacturer - if so where did the 50kg weight limit come from?
  • He thought a tow bar could not be fitted as an alternative method to assist in securing a bike rack because a future purchaser might think he could use the bar for towing.
  • The same purchaser will not of course make the same leap of faith and think roof rails are for loading.
  • In these days of H&S am I directly responsible/liable to ensure future buyer(s) are fully aware they do not use the rails for carrying loads?
  • What if the handbook is mislaid or not given to future buyers?
  • Why is 'do not load' either etched on the rails or on a sign in a prominent place in the car?
  • Does the Chinese version have the same restrictions?
Apologies for ranting on and no disrespect to the dealer who was informative and very good to take part in the forum.
I am unable to get my head round false roof rails, they would rarely (if ever) be used and I would have preferred high beam assist or a heated windscreen (which are still indicted in the AutoTrader advert detailed specifications).
I do think if an item is there it should function and apologies again if this is the norm in other vehicles.
I've already installed a home charger (delivery was originally advised for the end October, then December) but am seriously reconsidering the purchase.

Watched the podcast last night and having the Exclusive on order was very interested in the MG5 roof rails discussion.
  • Evidently the dealer used a demo car with the car fully loaded and the roof rails in use with no apparent problems.
  • Buried in the manual page 62, it clearly states they are for decoration and may be dangerous if loaded.
  • Thank heavens he was not in an accident. If he was, would his insurance have been void?
  • Evidently it was a communication mix up with the manufacturer - if so where did the 50kg weight limit come from?
  • He thought a tow bar could not be fitted as an alternative method to assist in securing a bike rack because a future purchaser might think he could use the bar for towing.
  • The same purchaser will not of course make the same leap of faith and think roof rails are for loading.
  • In these days of H&S am I directly responsible/liable to ensure future buyer(s) are fully aware they do not use the rails for carrying loads?
  • What if the handbook is mislaid or not given to future buyers?
  • Why is 'do not load' either etched on the rails or on a sign in a prominent place in the car?
  • Does the Chinese version have the same restrictions?
Apologies for ranting on and no disrespect to the dealer who was informative and very good to take part in the forum.
I am unable to get my head round false roof rails, they would rarely (if ever) be used and I would have preferred high beam assist or a heated windscreen (which are still indicted in the AutoTrader advert detailed specifications).
I do think if an item is there it should function and apologies again if this is the norm in other vehicles.
I've already installed a home charger (delivery was originally advised for the end October, then December) but am seriously reconsidering the purchase.
I get the roof rails thing, it is very annoying. Personally I was wanting roof rails for bikes, so my plan is to purchase an alternative carrying device that attaches to the back of the car. Not a solution for everyone I realise. But I do feel that people who have put in orders (myself included) ought to be compensated in some way since we are getting less than we thought we were paying for.

I to watched the podcast about the roof rails and I am about to get my car MG5 exclusive in January when I ordered the car an MG brochure was given to me which shows the car with a bike on the roof also when I looked on the MG web site at what extras and accessories where available under the touring section I am sure the bike carrier was listed as an extra but when I have looked again tonight this is no longer listed for the MG5 also I read PDF handbook on line on I to noticed on page 62 it says and I quote,

The roof luggage RACK is a none load bearing luggage rack which is used only as decoration. Do not load anything on the roof luggage rack as it could result in an accident or damage to the vehicle. Unquote.

This I found most confusing as pictures of the car so a cycle on the roof as I have said above, the other thing is it says on page 62 roof luggage rack there is no mention of ROOF RAILS, so thinking about it the roof on these cars is ribbed and I thought that this is what they might be calling the roof rack, so I rang the MG head office to ask was the that the case. I rang on three separate occasions and was told they would speak to someone and get back to me, guess what no one ever did I have also e-mailed them but have had no reply,

I have found the service so far from MG uk very off putting and after watching you pod cast I am now very upset I have had many estate cars the last three being Skoda’s Octavia and Superb estates and have waited a long time for some one to do a EV estate but now I’m not sure what to do.

I wonder does the department of transport know the there is a car on British roads that someone unknowingly might put something on the roof rails with cross bars of course that might detach at speed on a motorway because they have not read page 62 worrying can I get my money back now at this late stage never mind the fact I have already spent the best part of £900 having a Zappi installed to charge it

Please speak to the dealer where you placed your order as you’ve obviously paid for something that has been clearly misrepresented and therefore under your consumer rights you are entitled to a full refund; it’s a real shame as this is a great car for the money, but if you need the roof bars it no good for you.

Please speak to the dealer where you placed your order as you’ve obviously paid for something that has been clearly misrepresented and therefore under your consumer rights you are entitled to a full refund; it’s a real shame as this is a great car for the money, but if you need the roof bars it no good for you.
Thank you for your message mark I agree I’m sure I could demand a refund but am on the fence at the moment as I do like the car and yes I don’t use the rails very much on my current Skoda Superb estate has only been used a few times with a light load on the roof but it is useful to have that ability but I do think this needs to be addressed by MG if they can’t be updated in some way to m@ke them useable then they should in my opinion be removed has as I wrote before some one unknowingly might put something on them and put life’s at risk if they came detached while on the road or even a motorway

Thanks all for your posts - I looked for a link to the podcast mentioned but couldn't find it. If someone could post a link that would be much appreciated. I made an Exclusive order in November and the car has apparently just arrived for collection, though having found out at the weekend (thanks to this forum) about the roof rail problem I'm not sure I'm going to proceed. The dealer is trying to find other options for roof mounting but I'm not happy about a brand new family car not having this option. As for the airbrushed photos...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom