MG5 Roof rails decorative only

Hi everyone hope everyone’s well I’ve been waiting for a response from MG or the DVSA so not been on here much lately but got a mail tonight which I feel needs replying to so here goes.

Hi lovemyev at thread #201,and kiltox,at #205 thanks for you post,i have given you a like for your posting but with some reservations. I’m was surprised to see this video you have posted and yeh the guy doing it is quite right in what he has said within it, apart from the fact the so called Astra roof rails are from what I can make out in the pictures not at all like the MG5 in the respect that they look like a chrome strip and not a raised rail that you could tie a strap or rope underneath or clamp a cross rail that you can buy anywhere quite cheaply onto them.

To me the Ford Mondeo estate has a similar built into the roof rail which like the Astra you need a special kit that fits into a purposely built recess in the door frames for mountlng anything onto the roof that's great no problem with that.

Why because they, Vauxhall tell you in the owners hand book in the correct area luggage and loading, that you need this kit, it’s not hidden under controls and instruments on page 62 as In the MGs handbook, anything MG is saying about loading the car it’s on page 181 and no mention of roof rails at all here.

If MG had done what Vauxhall has done and fitted rails that needed some kind of fitting to be placed on the car then that would have been just fine. But what they have put on the 5 is open to misuse and still in my opinion is unsafe as they are. MG I think, have now realised this fact which is why they removed the cross rails and Bike carriers etc from there accessories page and also tried to change the brochures by removing the bike on the roof from the pictures almost as soon as it was brought out into the open, and where not very successfully in ether which as has been noted many times

Im waiting until DVSA report comes out now to see what if anything as changed shouldn’t be to long now just to remind you MG where given 28 days to respond by the DVSA on the 15th of January, as the chap in the video says this Vauxhall Astra idea might be a way out of the issue for MG but with the rail type fitted on the MG5 at the moment I personally don’t think so. For now I’ll just sit down again and wait please don’t get me wrong my car is still sat in the dealers waiting for an answer from MG motors and when the problems sorted out Who knows I to might get asked for an opinion about the MG5 but one thing is for sure if it’s not sorted soon I will be looking for my coat and hat quite a few new EVs coming out later this year by all accounts.
Les

Last edited:
Another car with “decorative roof rails” it appears.

I didn’t realise how bad the editing was on this so I’ve taken it down for now, will redo it later!

Thought the person commenting how bad it was was just trolling :LOL:

I didn’t realise how bad the editing was on this so I’ve taken it down for now, will redo it later!

Thought the person commenting how bad it was was just trolling :LOL:

this is back, now. If you watched it the other day, there’s nothing new, though!

This video #205 is the same that was place on the thread at #201 and #204, and my response to it is at #203, the other video linked to it and mentioned at the beginning within it, is at #198, this is just in case anyone a bit confused.
Les.

Just a thought but if the roof can't hold 50kg on it what happens if god forbid you roll the car onto it's roof, do you become a squashed tomato because that's putting alot more than 50kg on the roof

Just a thought but if the roof can't hold 50kg on it what happens if god forbid you roll the car onto it's roof, do you become a squashed tomato because that's putting alot more than 50kg on the roof
Good question, but I think its the rails themselves that's the problem not the actual roof. Well let's hope so.....

I don't think the integrity of the roof has ever been in question, just the rails fitted to the exclusive.

Hi has stated it’s the rails or the way they are mounted onto the roof that’s in question hopefully may get to know more next week or so as the DVSA give MG motors 28 days notice to make a response on the 15/16 of January so not to long now the excite model does not have the roof rails at all so the roof is not does not appear to be the problem also you can see what the DVSA have said so far in thread #106

Last edited:
Hi has stated it’s the rails or the way they are mounted onto the roof that’s in question hopefully may get to know more next week or so as the DVSA give MG motors 28 days notice to make a response on the 15/16 of January so not to long now the excite model does not have the roof rails at all so the roof is not does not appear to be the problem also you can see what the DVSA have said so far in thread #106
28? So today is day 28 but nothing heard!

Hi everyone the 28 days notice given to MG by the DVSA on the 15th of January about the roof rail issue passed on Sunday last, but the 28 days stated might have been working days them being a government dept so that will be this coming Wednesday the 24th, so I will be hounding them for a reply so just to inform you this as not been forgotten for those who are interested
Les

Hi everyone the 28 days notice given to MG by the DVSA on the 15th of January about the roof rail issue passed on Sunday last, but the 28 days stated might have been working days them being a government dept so that will be this coming Wednesday the 24th, so I will be hounding them for a reply so just to inform you this as not been forgotten for those who are interested
Les
Yes Les I thought the same but was giving them for Friday to expect an answer. But don't hold you breath.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom