MG5 Roof rails decorative only

I noticed the roof rails on the ZS are one piece whereas the MG5 ones seem to be in three parts, front and rear curved parts and the long (slightly curved) piece joining them. I wondered if that may be why they're not load bearing and the ZS ones are ?

MG MOTORS RESPONSE TO THE DVSA ABOUT THE ROOF RAILS ISSUE

Hi everyone I wrote to the DVSA on Tuesday and got this back yesterday
Here is a copy of the reply they sent me and as a couple of you rightly said don’t hold your breath you couldn’t have been more right.

DVSA reply
Ref: VSD 33237
Dear Mr Burrows

With regards to this issue, the manufacturer has responded to the report and is in the process of dealing with the issue. Once a course of action has been determined we will let you know in due course.
Regards

Simon Lewis | Vehicle Defect Investigation & Market Surveillance Engineer
Core Member of DVSA embRACE Staff Network Group - Working with DVSA to ‘Create a Great Place to Work’
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Orgreave Way, Sheffield, S13 9LT

Find out more about government services at www.gov.uk/dvsa

And that’s was it so yesterday I made a response to the DVSA directly copy below.

Thank you for your reply to my mail my question now is, has the manufacturer given any indication how long this process of dealing with this issue is going to take, as I must stress these vehicles which may still have an issue with SAFETY are still on our roads.

MG Motors have now obviously accepted the fact that there is a problem by saying, they are dealing with it, and this is not for the first time, them having already informed the dealers to tell owners they must not place any load on the roof rails as well as supposedly had to modifying their literature etc. Have they written to any current owners as I requested them to do in November last year with this directive? Word of mouth Simon is not reliable enough on safety issues in my opinion.

These vehicles are still on our roads and owners might still be unaware or forget about the issue, also the vehicles are still being sold with the same specifications and the same roof rails and putting more of them on our roads day after day.

Their response, and the departments acceptance of in my opinion is an open door for them to take as much time as they want, even up to whenever they decide to upgrade the model when ever that might be, this I must protest strongly is an unacceptable response, and the DVSA need to press them further with a date to address the problem, or issue a recall for the safety of all road users before there might be an incident on the highway.

Also I might just add if they did take so much time and even up to a newer model let’s say model 2, there is still going to be the first model let’s say model 1, the car on the roads today, which is now in the 2/3/4 hand of dealerships and or private sales which are still going to be on sale and still may be unsafe, I say again to MG fix or remove them now, and I call on you at the DVSA to say the same, you are after all the department responsible for the safety of vehicles on our roads please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong in this.

Thank you again for your reply and I hope the department will now reconsider the response made by the manufacturer of this vehicle, I await you reply.

Yours sincerely
Les Burrows

The Consumer Association (Which) are also aware of the above respone I have made to the DVSA.

Last edited:
MG MOTORS RESPONSE TO THE DVSA ABOUT THE ROOF RAILS ISSUE

Hi everyone I wrote to the DVSA on Tuesday and got this back yesterday
Here is a copy of the reply they sent me and as a couple of you rightly said don’t hold your breath you couldn’t have been more right.

DVSA reply
Ref: VSD 33237
Dear Mr Burrows

With regards to this issue, the manufacturer has responded to the report and is in the process of dealing with the issue. Once a course of action has been determined we will let you know in due course.
Regards

Simon Lewis | Vehicle Defect Investigation & Market Surveillance Engineer
Core Member of DVSA embRACE Staff Network Group - Working with DVSA to ‘Create a Great Place to Work’
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Orgreave Way, Sheffield, S13 9LT

Find out more about government services at www.gov.uk/dvsa

And that’s was it so yesterday I made a response to the DVSA directly copy below.

Thank you for your reply to my mail my question now is, has the manufacturer given any indication how long this process of dealing with this issue is going to take, as I must stress these vehicles which may still have an issue with SAFETY are still on our roads.

MG Motors have now obviously accepted the fact that there is a problem by saying, they are dealing with it, and this is not for the first time, them having already informed the dealers to tell owners they must not place any load on the roof rails as well as supposedly had to modifying their literature etc. Have they written to any current owners as I requested them to do in November last year with this directive? Word of mouth Simon is not reliable enough on safety issues in my opinion.

These vehicles are still on our roads and owners might still be unaware or forget about the issue, also the vehicles are still being sold with the same specifications and the same roof rails and putting more of them on our roads day after day.

Their response, and the departments acceptance of in my opinion is an open door for them to take as much time as they want, even up to whenever they decide to upgrade the model when ever that might be, this I must protest strongly is an unacceptable response, and the DVSA need to press them further with a date to address the problem, or issue a recall for the safety of all road users before there might be an incident on the highway.

Also I might just add if they did take so much time and even up to a newer model let’s say model 2, there is still going to be the first model let’s say model 1, the car on the roads today, which is now in the 2/3/4 hand of dealerships and or private sales which are still going to be on sale and still may be unsafe, I say again to MG fix or remove them now, and I call on you at the DVSA to say the same, you are after all the department responsible for the safety of vehicles on our roads please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong in this.

Thank you again for your reply and I hope the department will now reconsider the response made by the manufacturer of this vehicle, I await you reply.

Yours sincerely
Les Burrows

The Consumer Association (Which) are also aware of the above respone I have made to the DVSA.
Thanks, Les

I got more or less the same info from my dealer yesterday. Been holding back on the MG5 delivery for weeks now waiting for a definitive answer. Can’t blame the dealer as they are nice guys and have been very good with our ZS ev, unfortunately it’s down to the poor service and release errors by MG.

The 5 is a nice car (if not a bit 80’s) but……… after watching Stuarts Wright podcast on “How to plan a long journey in an electric car (EV) for a comfortable, stress-free drive” I’d had enough. “Stress-free” he must be joking, multi checks, working or not, make notes, get passenger to check nearer the time in case out of order or engaged, use other apps, back tracking to find a charger that may or may not be working, research and research and you have not even started the journey yet!

Cancelled my MG5 order today, now waiting for the agreed full deposit refund. So now it’s back to a nice Merc where I only have to say “Hi Mercedes” to find a route, just by saying the destination details, she tells me how much fuel I have or not for the journey, if I ask for shop/food restaurant or fuel she will give me a choice, set temp if cold or hot for any seat/area. Open/close windows/sunroof and adjust cabin lighting and auto managed headlamps to any situation and loads more and I can put the roof top box or bikes on top if needed. YES, more money but much more car with no hassle. I know some ev’s are as much or dearer but I like the tech, the gadgets and the complete convenience of it all.

We will keep the ZS ev as that’s fine for what it is, nice drive, cheap to buy and run and suitable for short local journeys but to Edinburgh no way and certainly not to the South of France or Tuscany.

Dont see the real problem with driving to Edinburgh (but for me is is about 5 miles away)....
Lmao Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Just a thought but if the roof can't hold 50kg on it what happens if god forbid you roll the car onto it's roof, do you become a squashed tomato because that's putting alot more than 50kg on the roof
It's the action of heavy braking, and whether it will come off in that case that is in question.....it's not a roof question.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom