MG5 Roof rails decorative only

My guess is that whatever vehicle(s) or technical data MG supplied for type approval didn't include the roof bars, which were therefore not approved.
That's just a guess but it kinda fits the situation.

My guess is that whatever vehicle(s) or technical data MG supplied for type approval didn't include the roof bars, which were therefore not approved.
That's just a guess but it kinda fits the situation.
Hi and welcome to the forum You may be right in what you have said then in my opinion they should not have been on the car when it was released in the uk I see you are a new member on the site so if you go back a couple of weeks you will see what as been written on the subject the original pictures show on the car bike carriers and a bike on the roof but now someone as remove the bike from the same pictures since this forum highlighted there may be problem as I have said a few times before this is a safety issue now that’s got to be sorted out before there are many more on our roads but I thank you for your comments and urge to to read some back listings
Les

Last edited:
Agreed but think on this: if the car hasn't been inspected and approved with rails, then the manufacturer would be at risk of a hiding to nothing if anything untoward happened, no matter how unlikely. Given that situation, corporate governance kicks in. Presumable a bean counter somewhere had apoplexy.

I assume getting reapproval would be too problematic or costly for some reason so, whether or not the rails are up to the job, the path of least resistance is for the brochures and manual to be changed.

I've seen something similar in my job. There was a range of equipment approved for safety related applications up to SIL3 (suitable to help mitigate VERY serious risk of very nasty things happening). To give a low cost option, for lower risk applications, the EXACT SAME kit was certified to SIL2 (suitable to help mitigate moderate risk of slightly nasty things happening). The ONLY differences were the colour, the label and the price. Despite that, if the SIL2 approved kit got used in a SIL3 application and things went pear shaped, it would have been quite possible for someone to do jail time.

There is a YT video out there showing the roof bars. They are not a one piece unit and seem to have joints in them, I'll try and find the link. That would make sense that they are not load bearing.

Here it is

There is a YT video out there showing the roof bars. They are not a one piece unit and seem to have joints in them, I'll try and find the link. That would make sense that they are not load bearing.

Here it is

That looks almost exactly the same setup as my old Passat estate. I've had Lord alone knows how much weight on that occasionally, with no problems.

Is this a case of the rails not having been properly tested to UK standards before the vehicle came to market rather than actually designed as decorative? Surely MG should be required to come clean and either get the proper testing carried out or alternatively recall affected vehicles for the defect, if there is one, to be remedied. The suggestion that they are only ever meant to be decorative is clearly bogus as evidenced by their own promotional materials and the design of the rails.

I've just this evening downloaded the MG5 brochure off the MG website. It clearly shows the roof rails carrying a bike and a safe weight loaded spec of 50kg. See https://mg.co.uk/files/2020-09-39/MG5_EV_Brochure_SEP_20201.pdf

Screenshot_2020-12-26-22-20-58-672_com.brave.browser.jpg

All very confusing for a potential MG5 purchaser....

.I know mine are up to the job on ZS EV.....I've fully tested them!

It took two of us to lift my 'lawn' on....then a 30 mile trip home. ( I did take it steady though) :)

Lawn on roof.jpg

I had cars in the past that always seem to get a little bit of moss on the window seals or rubbers sometimes but nothing this bad LOL love the picture chris

Last edited:
Hi everyone up date for you on MG5 roof rail issue I’m not sure if I said somewhere on the forum that I had spoken to MG again twice last week and was promise a response from them by Xmas eve which again never came.(Santa was a bit busy)

Well this morning Tuesday 29/12/2020 I’ve been on the hunt again at MG for my promised response, and I have got one via e-mail , now I’m not to good with e-mailing and have no idea how to attach the email they sent me to this post with my iPad so I have taken a photo shot of it and hope you can all read it apart from the disappointing reply they state in the first paragraph that it will be the responsibility of the current owner to tell the person buying the from him to say the roof rails are not for loading or the 2nd car retailer to let a buyer on his car lot or showroom know the roof rails are only decorative and must not be use LOL 😂 😂 Can you see that when your trying to sell an estate car

So I have today posted yes posted by recorded delivery quite a lengthy letter to the Managing Director at MG motors uk at Longbridge and I will wait for a reply the letter I have sent is four pages long and I have told him everything that has been said by me and others on the forum with regard to this issue I can assure you this is about safety and have told him I will take it to relevant government departments if we don’t get a more positive response than is in this email picture I have sent with this posting sorry if I’ve gone on a bit to much

7BDA5B30-2311-417A-A879-BED5B8AA26ED.png

" Nothing to see here then".......Well done with trying Les.

Personally it wasn't a deal breaker for me......it was the reduction in the safely equipment.....Blind Spot, Radar Cruise, Emergency breaking etc. and the lack of a sun roof.

I liked the drive, the range, comfort, space etc...

I'm sure many of us appreciate your efforts.

Thank you Les.

A totally unacceptable response. They printed sales literature with pictures of a cycle rack. They need to get some legal advice. This response would not be accepted in any court in the land and would be treat as completely disingenuous, flying as it does in the face of all available evidence.

I shall write in the first instance and ask for an explanation.

Any advice from members on the appropriate safety agency to contact would be welcome.

Pete

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom