MG5 Roof rails decorative only

" Nothing to see here then".......Well done with trying Les.

Personally it wasn't a deal breaker for me......it was the reduction in the safely equipment.....Blind Spot, Radar Cruise, Emergency breaking etc. and the lack of a sun roof.

I liked the drive, the range, comfort, space etc...

I'm sure many of us appreciate your efforts.
Hi Chris and thank you for your comments yes I agree all the things you have listed would have been nice to have but it was the range for me but it’s still on hold for now the email they sent me today has really android me though as I said what chance of anyone got of selling the car on for something better with in my opinion a safety issue unresolved and if there is an accident due to this issues I dread to think what might happen i have written before it needs sorting now while only a few have been sold I know you agree thank you again

Thank you Les.

A totally unacceptable response. They printed sales literature with pictures of a cycle rack. They need to get some legal advice. This response would not be accepted in any court in the land and would be treat as completely disingenuous, flying as it does in the face of all available evidence.

I shall write in the first instance and ask for an explanation.

Any advice from members on the appropriate safety agency to contact would be welcome.

Pete
NO Pete Thank you. By all means please write to the MD at MG as I have done by post only I was told address is at the bottom of my last post 15:02 hrs 29/12/2020 the more the merrier I have stated in my post much the same as what you have written earlier and I have said this in my four page letter to him and I quote the final paragraph from the letter here is what I have said I wished I could put a copy of the complete letter but I use an iPad and don’t seem to be able to do that anyhow here’s the last paragraph

Quote, Please be aware as stated earlier there are numerous customers concerned about this safety issue and total misrepresentation of this vehicle in your initial brochures on which sales have already been completed I am also concerned about the insurance company’s reaction should an accident occur l am sure if the media are made aware of this issue His would be very detrimental for your company And it will be reported to the DVSA and HSE Government departments who will investigate. Unquote.

That is what I said at the end of my letter I was told I had to send my complaint by post which I have done by recorded delivery so they can’t say it’s not been received
We will see what happens
Les

Thank you Les.

A totally unacceptable response. They printed sales literature with pictures of a cycle rack. They need to get some legal advice. This response would not be accepted in any court in the land and would be treat as completely disingenuous, flying as it does in the face of all available evidence.

I shall write in the first instance and ask for an explanation.

Any advice from members on the appropriate safety agency to contact would be welcome.

Pete
Veloap/Les

I have already ordered my MG5 due March but not too sure if a want the car now. Although I probably would not use them much they would be handy when needed. I have posted on this forum a complaint to highlight that dealers are still selling the car using the MG literature that say how marvellous the car is "with rails" etc etc. Miles at Chorley replied and said they would remove the advert and well done to them for reacting, unfortunately when you download the brochure on their site there it is complete with a bike! There are many more dealers showing the rails in use. I don't understand why they persist in using the MG literature that is truly false advertising.
I am aware a number of people have complained the the ASA and have asked me to do the same, I have a good mind to do so as well or write to the BBC Watchdog. Or how about Daniel Gregorious head of Sales in London MG HQ

The ASA address is:
Advertising Standards Authority Ltd
Castle House, 37-45 Paul Street
London EC2A 4LS

Just a quick edit:

Just emailed Daniel Gregorious with these issues and asked him to look at the blogs etc. I hope you don't mind Les but I attached the reply you received from the call centre and said it was an unacceptable reply and just an unbelievable response and somewhat derogative to MG owners. Await a reply 🥱

Last edited:
Veloap/Les

I have already ordered my MG5 due March but not too sure if a want the car now. Although I probably would not use them much they would be handy when needed. I have posted on this forum a complaint to highlight that dealers are still selling the car using the MG literature that say how marvellous the car is "with rails" etc etc. Miles at Chorley replied and said they would remove the advert and well done to them for reacting, unfortunately when you download the brochure on their site there it is complete with a bike! There are many more dealers showing the rails in use. I don't understand why they persist in using the MG literature that is truly false advertising.
I am aware a number of people have complained the the ASA and have asked me to do the same, I have a good mind to do so as well or write to the BBC Watchdog. Or how about Daniel Gregorious head of Sales in London MG HQ

The ASA address is:
Advertising Standards Authority Ltd
Castle House, 37-45 Paul Street
London EC2A 4LS

Just a quick edit:

Just emailed Daniel Gregorious with these issues and asked him to look at the blogs etc. I hope you don't mind Les but I attached the reply you received from the call centre and said it was an unacceptable reply and just an unbelievable response and somewhat derogative to MG owners. Await a reply 🥱
Hi Richie well done no problem with you using my Email you may not have seen but yesterday I sent 4 page letter to the MD at MG Longbridge as I was told by MGs London office office any complaints must be posted so it now has and I would hope it will be on his / her desk this morning

I like you don’t really need the rails maybe perhaps now and again but this is a safety on our roads issue for me plus as others have pointed out there is are resale values that are also very important

I have not as yet cancelled my order just refused to take delivery until this is sorted my car is at my dealers and he is like me waiting for MG to respond the dealer as been very good in all this but MG head office well not so good it’s sad to say I have said to the MD in my letter that if the media get a hold on this it will be very detrimental to their sales and I sure the DVSA or HSE would have to investigate the issue

Last edited:
I need to confess.
I took delivery.
The dealer needed the end of year sale and I had committed too much to pull out so a compromise was reached.
He did speak to someone at MG head office but could not get any explanation why the roof rails were now useless.
Car is absolutely fine apart from this roof rail nonsense - although with the current COVID restrictions the opportunity to do much driving is restricted.
I now study roof rails on all other vehicles, the only spot so far of one with a 3 section rail is a Peugeot 3008, I have been looking on the web for images of the Chinese version but no luck so far showing one with the rails in use.
I did find an American website that did sell cosmetic roof rails, so incredibly this is not unheard of, and a government chap confirmed roof rails are not part of the MOT testing.
Good luck with representations to MG.

I need to confess.
I took delivery.
The dealer needed the end of year sale and I had committed too much to pull out so a compromise was reached.
He did speak to someone at MG head office but could not get any explanation why the roof rails were now useless.
Car is absolutely fine apart from this roof rail nonsense - although with the current COVID restrictions the opportunity to do much driving is restricted.
I now study roof rails on all other vehicles, the only spot so far of one with a 3 section rail is a Peugeot 3008, I have been looking on the web for images of the Chinese version but no luck so far showing one with the rails in use.
I did find an American website that did sell cosmetic roof rails, so incredibly this is not unheard of, and a government chap confirmed roof rails are not part of the MOT testing.
Good luck with representations to MG.
Good luck with your purchase and it’s important to understand and listen to other views and comments, but not to be driven by others and being for a want of a better word a cow in a herd, you need to do what’s right for you and there are other options that can be used if you did ever need to carry items on the roof or transport bicycles...yes it may cost you a little more money, but there are options, enjoy your new car.

Happy new year everyone.

Just a thought but I wonder if the Vehicle Certification Agency people (Vehicle Certification Agency) could throw any light on the certifiability status or otherwise, of the roof bars. There's a Certification reference number on the cars V5c form.....
Hi that’s very interesting,didn’t know that was on the V5c ,but I’m going to wait a short while for a reply from MG to the letter I sent their MD 3 Days ago which I have written about earlier in this forum, I think they have to be given the chance to respond before I go any further meanwhile I will have a little read to see what it says

But thanks for the info

MG5 ROOF RAIL ISSUE
Note to Stuart Wright i have copies off all the letters and mail between myself and MG but have no idea how to place them on the forum not my thing iPads, which is all I have, if the members would like to see what I has been said both ways or if I could forward them perhaps to yourself would it be possible you could then place them in the forum for all to see my email is as I say I’m not very computer savvy [email protected]
Thank you

Hi everyone trusts you all safe and well in this crazy time that we a living in
So I have an update, sorry this is a bit lengthy so I will try and break it down.

You my recall and will find within this thread -page 4 December 29 a reply I managed to get after a lot of chasing to get anything out of MG, this saying that nothing was going to be done about this issue and also saying it was owners responsibility to inform the person we sold the car on to that the rails where for decorative use only it said if I was not happy with what was said I should write to the Managing Director and explain why, they said I must send my point by post only.

Well I wrote a four page letter about my telephone conversation that I had in the week before Christmas and in November, I’m not the best in the world at writing letters but I did try to explain the situation and tell them about the forums here and elsewhere about MG vehicles and gave them the details of these and suggested to them to have a read

I had proof of posted but 9/10 days later no reply had been sent back so I emailed MGs head office asking why I had no response and telling them if nothing came back within the next 7 days I would send everything I had written to them to the Government offices of the DVSA/HSE or ROSPA

So the next morning I get an email from them apologising for the delay from someone called Mr Gary Smart

Telling me first that the MD was out of the country and he had been given my letter to make a reply to, it he goes on to tell me about everything in the brochure has been update with a wording of Roof Rails are for decorative purposes only I have looked at this but can’t find this statement in the brochure online anywhere
He then quotes the T&Cs to me about the being able to change wording at anytime, then he says that MG are trying to find a solution, but this could take some time but may never happen, as MG are responsible to notify potential customers of a change i:e roof bars are not load bearing ,it is the current owners who are Responsible to inform anyone they pass the car onto be it a private sale or a trade in, to tell them that the roof bars are none load bearing he says

I have said to him in my reply as MG are trying to find a solution I am glad we now agree that there is a problem and have told him the MG should be at least be writing to all owners of vehicles already on our roads to inform them they must not load the rails as they may not know as I have said before the information about this in the handbook is under ( instrument and controls ) in who would look in this section when trying to load anything into or onto a vehicle
Failing to write them letters they should issue a recall and get it this sorted I have tried to put some of the mails below but the are screen shots from my iPad don’t know if you can see or read them sorry if this as gone on a bit but I will not give up and I have told MG I will take this matter further if something more positive is not done I have still not took delivery of my car May have lost it by now but dealer as not been in touch
Les

Attachments

• 20B3AA08-A8D7-433A-B503-AC289B4C7178.png
    20B3AA08-A8D7-433A-B503-AC289B4C7178.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 154
  • 61FADD36-5B49-4151-B4CF-DD43622BA435.jpeg
    61FADD36-5B49-4151-B4CF-DD43622BA435.jpeg
    624.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 26D69D34-178C-4A00-9CC8-5246E27E1391.jpeg
    26D69D34-178C-4A00-9CC8-5246E27E1391.jpeg
    607.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 661E2EA9-F158-45F6-912C-CA0911ADCF69.jpeg
    661E2EA9-F158-45F6-912C-CA0911ADCF69.jpeg
    675.3 KB · Views: 153
I have just had confirmation from MG today that following an urgent engineering review, we can now confirm the roof rails for
MG5 EV Exclusive have a load capacity of 35kg. This update applies to all examples of the MG5 EV Exclusive, including those for any customers who have already taken delivery, and for any orders that have been placed.

I have just had confirmation from MG today that following an urgent engineering review, we can now confirm the roof rails for
MG5 EV Exclusive have a load capacity of 35kg. This update applies to all examples of the MG5 EV Exclusive, including those for any customers who have already taken delivery, and for any orders that have been placed.
Well done! Many thanks for your efforts! That's a weight off our minds (and onto the roof rack)

Well done Miles, makes no difference to me, but your continuing support and knowledge means a lot to us all. 👍

MG5 ROOF RAIL ISSUE
Note to Stuart Wright i have copies off all the letters and mail between myself and MG but have no idea how to place them on the forum not my thing iPads, which is all I have, if the members would like to see what I has been said both ways or if I could forward them perhaps to yourself would it be possible you could then place them in the forum for all to see my email is as I say I’m not very computer savvy [email protected]
Thank you

Hi everyone trusts you all safe and well in this crazy time that we a living in
So I have an update, sorry this is a bit lengthy so I will try and break it down.

You my recall and will find within this thread -page 4 December 29 a reply I managed to get after a lot of chasing to get anything out of MG, this saying that nothing was going to be done about this issue and also saying it was owners responsibility to inform the person we sold the car on to that the rails where for decorative use only it said if I was not happy with what was said I should write to the Managing Director and explain why, they said I must send my point by post only.

Well I wrote a four page letter about my telephone conversation that I had in the week before Christmas and in November, I’m not the best in the world at writing letters but I did try to explain the situation and tell them about the forums here and elsewhere about MG vehicles and gave them the details of these and suggested to them to have a read

I had proof of posted but 9/10 days later no reply had been sent back so I emailed MGs head office asking why I had no response and telling them if nothing came back within the next 7 days I would send everything I had written to them to the Government offices of the DVSA/HSE or ROSPA

So the next morning I get an email from them apologising for the delay from someone called Mr Gary Smart

Telling me first that the MD was out of the country and he had been given my letter to make a reply to, it he goes on to tell me about everything in the brochure has been update with a wording of Roof Rails are for decorative purposes only I have looked at this but can’t find this statement in the brochure online anywhere
He then quotes the T&Cs to me about the being able to change wording at anytime, then he says that MG are trying to find a solution, but this could take some time but may never happen, as MG are responsible to notify potential customers of a change i:e roof bars are not load bearing ,it is the current owners who are Responsible to inform anyone they pass the car onto be it a private sale or a trade in, to tell them that the roof bars are none load bearing he says

I have said to him in my reply as MG are trying to find a solution I am glad we now agree that there is a problem and have told him the MG should be at least be writing to all owners of vehicles already on our roads to inform them they must not load the rails as they may not know as I have said before the information about this in the handbook is under ( instrument and controls ) in who would look in this section when trying to load anything into or onto a vehicle
Failing to write them letters they should issue a recall and get it this sorted I have tried to put some of the mails below but the are screen shots from my iPad don’t know if you can see or read them sorry if this as gone on a bit but I will not give up and I have told MG I will take this matter further if something more positive is not done I have still not took delivery of my car May have lost it by now but dealer as not been in touch
Les
Great news Les

@MilesperkWh Thank you for your time, efforts and sharing this information with everyone, it is very much appreciated. Sadly, @Fluffykins beat me to the first roof-based joke (above) so I shan't attempt to top that.

@MilesperkWh Thank you for your time, efforts and sharing this information with everyone, it is very much appreciated. Sadly, @Fluffykins beat me to the first roof-based joke (above) so I shan't attempt to top that.
People would just make a rack et, railing at you over it.

Hi everyone thank you to Miles for the post about the the roof rails issue I’ve had the the same email from mg so it would appear that after I contacted ROSPA ,THE DVSA,THE SMMT,AND WHICH this week That there as been a change made at last which I’m very please to hear, my dealer as just called me to ask I’m I now going to except my car which as been at his showroom for 3/4 weeks and I have, he’s been very understanding in this matter and in total agreement with me on it. Its a pity MG head office are no where near as helpful as there dealerships I was disappointed with the way I was treated by them but was not going to give up on it because of the safety aspect. I have asked that all dealers are now told to inform all there customers about this change because this 35kg is still below what was written in the brochures I:e 50kg is now 35kg and not every owner will be involved with this forum and they need to know. How stupid of MG been in this matter but good news and I hope to get my car very soon
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom