MG5 Roof rails decorative only

I have just had confirmation from MG today that following an urgent engineering review, we can now confirm the roof rails for
MG5 EV Exclusive have a load capacity of 35kg. This update applies to all examples of the MG5 EV Exclusive, including those for any customers who have already taken delivery, and for any orders that have been placed.
That's great news.

Can you tell me, will MG be selling the roof rack and bike rack options again soon?

Hi everyone sorry but I have just been contacted by the Which magazine ( the consumers association) and also the DVSA .gov.uk and the post earlier today about the rails now being able to take 35kg may still not be correct i say may not be correct I’m not sure what the heck is going on I will keep you updated as soon as I can I have just put my car back on hold with the dealer

Last edited:
Hi everyone sorry but I have just been contacted by the Which magazine ( the consumers association) and also the DVSA .gov.uk and the post earlier today about the rails now being able to take 35kg may still not be correct i say may not be correct I’m sure what the heck is going on I will keep you updated as soon as I can I have just put my car back on hold with the dealer
It may not be correct, but if MG have committed to this and it’s in writing the liability would sit with them if worse case scenario anything or anyone was injured because of a failure; let’s not forget we live with risk everyday the minute you get out of bed and so let’s not dwell on this too much.

Here is the latest from the government body DVSA which is why I said the information on the roof rails saying 35kg May be wrong I believe MG have now retracted that I will keep you posted cars still on hold
Les

Dear Mr Les burrows

Please accept this email as confirmation that the review stage of your defect report is now complete.

The manufacturer has now been contacted and has been given 28 days in which to respond.

We will endeavour to update you with the progress of the case and inform you of any outcomes.

For further information and relevant publications, please visit www.gov.uk/dvsa

Your sincerely

Vehicle Safety Branch

Find out more about government services at www.gov.uk/dvsa

Here is the latest from the government body DVSA which is why I said the information on the roof rails saying 35kg May be wrong I believe MG have now retracted that I will keep you posted cars still on hold
Les

Dear Mr Les burrows

Please accept this email as confirmation that the review stage of your defect report is now complete.

The manufacturer has now been contacted and has been given 28 days in which to respond.

We will endeavour to update you with the progress of the case and inform you of any outcomes.

For further information and relevant publications, please visit www.gov.uk/dvsa

Your sincerely

Vehicle Safety Branch

Find out more about government services at www.gov.uk/dvsa
A holding statement. What makes you think this means the information MG are now giving their dealers is wrong?!

A holding statement. What makes you think this means the information MG are now giving their dealers is wrong?!
An article consisting of out of date information mostly.

Two separate MG dealers, knowledgable and well respected ones at that, have confirmed today the new instruction from their engineering team that the load rating is 35kg!
Well kiltox I hope your right I want my car but not until this mess is sorted I rang my dealer today around 16:30 they then made a call to MG and came back with the problem is still under review so it will be next week now before we get any more I would think and apart from that I would not believe anything MG head office says any more after the rubbish they have written to me over the last two months I have said before the dealers I think do care but the head office they do not in my opinion makes me wonder why I looked at an MG in the first place but I no why it a nice car and I got a fair deal so let’s go electric but let’s be safe also
Les

Last edited:
You could’ve had your car weeks ago if you didn’t decide to stand up for the consumer rights of the fourth owner in ten years time.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

I have just had confirmation from MG today that following an urgent engineering review, we can now confirm the roof rails for
MG5 EV Exclusive have a load capacity of 35kg. This update applies to all examples of the MG5 EV Exclusive, including those for any customers who have already taken delivery, and for any orders that have been placed.
Miles
Thanks for this update and at first it looks like the problem has been sorted although set at only at 35kg. Some of the replies that followed do throw some doubt, not on you or dealers but MG's credibility.

I will say that 35kg for total loading is not very much and amounts to approximately one suit case.
Just for an example: For a business class flight on Emirates, the checked bag allowance is 2 bags per person at 32/40kg (depends on route) + 2 cabin bags at 7kg per bag. Air India allows 40kg and 7kg hand luggage per person and so on.

I'll leave you to do the maths but that makes the boot the only real option for one and more difficult for 2, 3 or 4 people, the boot would be jammed packed. Even a UK weeks holiday luggage for a family of 4 could outstrip 35kg. That's why we initially liked the roof rails!

A paltry loading and I guess someone at MG is just being very conservative in trying to appease the customers and made a "finger in the air" quote. There's possible a better place for their finger? ☝️

Last edited:
Veloap/Les

I have already ordered my MG5 due March but not too sure if a want the car now. Although I probably would not use them much they would be handy when needed. I have posted on this forum a complaint to highlight that dealers are still selling the car using the MG literature that say how marvellous the car is "with rails" etc etc. Miles at Chorley replied and said they would remove the advert and well done to them for reacting, unfortunately when you download the brochure on their site there it is complete with a bike! There are many more dealers showing the rails in use. I don't understand why they persist in using the MG literature that is truly false advertising.
I am aware a number of people have complained the the ASA and have asked me to do the same, I have a good mind to do so as well or write to the BBC Watchdog. Or how about Daniel Gregorious head of Sales in London MG HQ

The ASA address is:
Advertising Standards Authority Ltd
Castle House, 37-45 Paul Street
London EC2A 4LS

Just a quick edit:

Just emailed Daniel Gregorious with these issues and asked him to look at the blogs etc. I hope you don't mind Les but I attached the reply you received from the call centre and said it was an unacceptable reply and just an unbelievable response and somewhat derogative to MG owners. Await a reply 🥱
Hi Richie hope your keeping well I was just backtracking trough the roof rail thread and read your post again about your email sent to Daniel Gregorious
did you ever get a reply from him ? Also yesterday I was on the phone with a gentleman from Which ( consumer association)and he told me that the pictures of the car with the bike on the roof and the accessories page showing the bike carriers are still on the web sites of the dealers, so I had a checked this morning on a couple of dealers websites including Acorn, and Chorley Groups, plus others and he’s right they are still there, when I ask my dealer a couple of weeks back why they where still using the brochures the answer was because that’s all they had, I’m not sure but I think the dealers have to pay for them also over about a week ago now I was given the same brochure in a dealership!! but I’ve done now this week what I told Gary Smart at MG That i would do I placed a post yesterday and the DVSA have told me they have issued a 28 day notice to MG to take some action or they will, which will cost MG dearly if they make them do a recall which is what they have the power to do it’s up to MG now but to go back a little did you get a reply to your email was the question please let us know thanks
Les

Hi Richie hope your keeping well I was just backtracking trough the roof rail thread and read your post again about your email sent to Daniel Gregorious
did you ever get a reply from him ? Also yesterday I was on the phone with a gentleman from Which ( consumer association)and he told me that the pictures of the car with the bike on the roof and the accessories page showing the bike carriers are still on the web sites of the dealers, so I had a checked this morning on a couple of dealers websites including Acorn, and Chorley Groups, plus others and he’s right they are still there, when I ask my dealer a couple of weeks back why they where still using the brochures the answer was because that’s all they had, I’m not sure but I think the dealers have to pay for them also over about a week ago now I was given the same brochure in a dealership!! but I’ve done now this week what I told Gary Smart at MG That i would do I placed a post yesterday and the DVSA have told me they have issued a 28 day notice to MG to take some action or they will, which will cost MG dearly if they make them do a recall which is what they have the power to do it’s up to MG now but to go back a little did you get a reply to your email was the question please let us know thanks
Les
Hello Les or should I call you the "roof rail warrior"? :)

No, no answer as yet and I have chased him with another email. I'll email again this weekend following the latest info and debacle.

My dealer did call me and say my MG5 is in and I could have it next week, but I have declined, Two reasons: 1, not confident about the roof rails and 2, I'll wait for the new registration. They will probably keep it till then but was hoping they would sell on and I'll might get an updated one nearer the time.
In the mean time just looking at the e-Nero but then the MG5 is still great value for money.

If you wish you can PM me if that is available on this site.

No, no answer as yet and I have chased him with another email. I'll email again this weekend following the latest info and debacle.

My dealer did call me and say my MG5 is in and I could have it next week, but I have declined, Two reasons: 1, not confident about the roof rails and 2, I'll wait for the new registration. They will probably keep it till then but was hoping they would sell on and I'll might get an updated one nearer the time.
In the mean time just looking at the e-Nero but then the MG5 is still great value for money.

Hi Richie LOL AT WARRIOR my misses is doubled up but thanks for your response 👍just about what I expected from MG I’m not trying any more to contact anyone at MG for a while they are a was of time the dealers been great understands the problem and agrees I’ll just leave it with the DVSA and Which for now MG can’t ignore them or not respond to them, I know that Which has already sent them a load of questions about the subject and what they intend to do about it not sure what you mean by PM me, never used a forum site before so PM ? think most of the people on here and the other forum are pleased it is now getting some kind of a result and can see an end to this issue coming not sure how long it will take and not sure how long my dealer will hold my car for but if it goes it goes loads of dealers to go at out there wait long enough and might get a Tesla when I win the lottery lol

Hi Richie LOL AT WARRIOR my misses is doubled up but thanks for your response 👍just about what I expected from MG I’m not trying any more to contact anyone at MG for a while they are a was of time the dealers been great understands the problem and agrees I’ll just leave it with the DVSA and Which for now MG can’t ignore them or not respond to them, I know that Which has already sent them a load of questions about the subject and what they intend to do about it not sure what you mean by PM me, never used a forum site before so PM ? think most of the people on here and the other forum are pleased it is now getting some kind of a result and can see an end to this issue coming not sure how long it will take and not sure how long my dealer will hold my car for but if it goes it goes loads of dealers to go at out there wait long enough and might get a Tesla when I win the lottery lol
PM = private message. Still no problems.

Re: my MG5 order, may consider changing to another ZS. Maybe go back to an ICE car, sometimes I wish I had kept the Discovery and at my age the time they stop making them I probably wont be driving anyway.

PM = private message. Still no problems.

Re: my MG5 order, may consider changing to another ZS. Maybe go back to an ICE car, sometimes I wish I had kept the Discovery and at my age the time they stop making them I probably wont be driving anyway.
Hi Richie
Thanks for the PM info I had a look but can’t find anything anywhere saying how to do that, but re your last post Im much the same as you my cars on hold and one of the reasons I went for it in the first place was range as my son lives in London and the congestion charge zone is expanding again, and I think he’s home may then soon come under it not sure, about the ZS it’s well down on range and since I found this forum the comments by some about the battery and charging problems that some seem to be having is not good reading I hope the 5 as not got them posting are saying not but then posting and some YT reviews are saying the 214-276 mile range for the 5 is a load of bull as well but I’m sure it will be better than the ZS bigger battery and what should be less drag for a start

But I like up might still say no to MG especially if they don’t sort out these roof rail problems as we know if one did cause an accident because of the rails then no one would even look at buying one, my current motor Skoda Superb estate lives up to its name in every way ( SUPERB ) had over 7 years now never miss a beat averages 53 mpg and can do 60 plus on a run and at my age now 74 I might just run it into the ground local garage who does my annual service on says I must be mad getting rid of it but as I said at the start going into London soon to see family will be about £15 a day soon and of course fuel is going up and up and I sure quite soon the government is going to do something more to get as many ICE of the roads as they can so my thinking was get the EV now so at least I can get a few years out of it I hope, before maybe I have to stop going up and down to London .

I took a look around the comparison sites for insurance got a few prices around £50-80 more than the Superb last week

Well you know how they send up updates on some of them well the prices I was given have gone up by a further £50-70 this week on the MG5 makes you think so watch that rang my current insurer as well not even got the MG 5 listed as yet so unable to give me a quote said try later if i get the car
Stay safe

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom