• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Safety recall update - Failed

Took my MG4 Trophy in for the Recall today and just had a call to say it failed and now the car is completely dead and wont turn on, Have to leave it with them until a fix is found.

Anyone else had this issue?
I hear this can happen if someone sits in the driver's seat while updating the software.
The car really doesn't like that!

I recall reading that this happened to one other person (though it may not necessarily have been that specific update).

Not sure what they have done but just got all these notifications through on the app - seems they have it running now at least - Excuse the street name :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 16.59.08.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 16.59.08.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 298
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 17.01.51.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 17.01.51.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 297
Not sure what they have done but just got all these notifications through on the app - seems they have it running now at least - Excuse the street name :ROFLMAO:
Did you get Email and/or SMS alerts for the Air Bag warnings? (I did when they were working on my car today ... I got such alerts for Air Bag and Brake System. Warnings for Alarm Reset and TPMS only appeared in the iSMART app).

You would think an MG trained technician would know not to sit in the drivers seat whilst an update was being down.

You would think an MG trained technician would know not to sit in the drivers seat whilst an update was being down.
Certainly been the reason cars have bricked before

Did you get Email and/or SMS alerts for the Air Bag warnings? (I did when they were working on my car today ... I got such alerts for Air Bag and Brake System. Warnings for Alarm Reset and TPMS only appeared in the iSMART app).
I never get any txt or email notifications?
Checked app settings and look right and have the Vehicle Fault Notifications ON. Have the START Off.
Get them in the messages screen on the App but never via a Txt or email.

I never get any txt or email notifications?
Checked app settings and look right and have the Vehicle Fault Notifications ON. Have the START Off.
Get them in the messages screen on the App but never via a Txt or email.
Same for me, but in fairness the only notifications I've received on the app have been for TPMS warnings (hundreds of them!) and a couple of power steering warnings (today, while the dealer was doing the locked in software update).

Arranged my orange Trophy in for the recall end of Jan, hoping for a smooth software update.

I wonder if it will be a full software update, or only update fix for the door locking issue?

No issues with mine although i also got a load of texts as per above as they were doing it. 25 minutes and i was away. Not noticed any issues since. Hope you get sorted.
Same here! (MG Reddich?), all done within 30mins, and on my way again.

The only thing is now my app is reporting (attached). When they were doing the update, I got the same message up - it thought the car was in Belgium though

1674177529492.png

My Trophy is currently in and they said theyre still waiting for MG to supply them or give them some info on the software update required... very strange, I would assume I wasnt the first one to be done and its a simple process now.

My Trophy is currently in and they said theyre still waiting for MG to supply them or give them some info on the software update required... very strange, I would assume I wasnt the first one to be done and its a simple process now.
I must admit, my heart sank when I went in, when the service manager said, "oh your the 1st one to have this done", but they were as good as their word, 1/2 hr, and you'll be on your way. The service manager also explained as to why MG were taking it so seriously, as one poor person (mobility car), had had to have the roof taken off to get them out.

Yeah i got the emails too, hopefully that means its all sorted, I wish it did take half an hour

UPDATE: just had a call to say its all done and updated

Last edited:
Yeah i got the emails too, hopefully that means its all sorted, I wish it did take half an hour

UPDATE: just had a call to say its all done and updated
Mine took about 40 minutes. While they were doing it my iSmart app was showing a couple of warnings for electric power steering, but not for air bags, strange!

I got a few warnings, which I cleared, and have cleared cache, but still have this one from this screen (but nothing on the cars display to date)
1674211863898.png

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 424 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel