• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Sat Nav upgrade

graybags

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Is there an upgrade or can one be purchased because current system does not give any indication of delays or issues on planned route ahead or suggest alternative routes like most other Sat Nav systems on modern cars.

Not on the system, if you have a smart phone you can use map through the car play or android with a wire or you can make it hands free with a adapter which works well for my apple phon.

Is there an upgrade or can one be purchased because current system does not give any indication of delays or issues on planned route ahead or suggest alternative routes like most other Sat Nav systems on modern cars.
thanks, doing that, was hopi g that some kind of upgrade might be around soon .

You should contact Naviextras who are the map system providers.
NNG - Naviextras Support [email protected]
I had a major issue with my new September 21 HSE here in Malta. My maps were stuck on Q4 2019. The updates keept failing and it took 5 months to sort it out, but finally as of yesterday I now have the latest maps and excellent service from Navi.
In your case there is a setting that you need to enable to advise you of alternative / suggested route changes base on time and distance. I did not enable this as here in Malta and Gozo where I live, any rush hour or equivalent M25 Friday afternoon 4pm Jnc 21 to 28 does not exist. Our traffic jams are like a Tesco car park at 1pm on a weekday.At this moment in time I have not found a way for a cell phone link to update traffic issues however I belive that Navi are working on this as one gets on Sygic (live update).

Naviextras don't provided UK support but that may be different elsewhere in Europe.

I don't understand. Navi is installed on UK spec cars and mine came from MG UK albeit with Kms for cluster. I have just looked at Navi site and support ie troubleshooting, maps etc all available to UK. What's the point of providing an updateable mapping system to UK spec cars and then no on can fix it if it goes tits up. Not sure if that contravenes Consumer Rights in UK.

They used to support it in the UK, made use of that support myself, but then they stopped for some reason.

This is the email I received from them:

Please be advised that we do not provide technical assistance for the navigation device model that you have selected.

In order to find a solution to your problem, we kindly ask that you browse our knowledge base, where you will find useful information and troubleshooting articles. Alternatively, please contact the manufacturer of your vehicle or device.

Should you have any questions regarding a purchase or an invoice, or if you wish to have your personal data removed from our customer database, please contact us via the dedicated buttons in the knowledge base.

Please do not reply to this mail as it will not be processed.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,
Naviextras Support

Ah....the model you have selected. OK makes sense but you must have been really pizzed off. But even so, your car I assume is pretty new and the head unit recent. My issue was with the updating method as the downloaded update to the USB stick only got so far then "Update Failed" on screen. Tried it about 40 times over 5 month period. In the end they fixed it. Now I know where I am going or coming from🤣🤣🤣

I have an HS PHEV that is one year old. Just had it serviced at my MG dealer in UK. I asked them to update navigation with latest maps. They say to log in and register my car on the MG web site. I can find nowhere to log in. So looked at Naviextras. eHS is listed so set it as my device. There is a qtr one 2022 map set for my car for Western Europe. But it costs £100 - updates were free on my Hyundai Tucson! Then it talks about needing a USB stick with a "footprint". What's that about? Do I need a "footprint"? How do I get that? This is all very confusing - and expensive! Luckily Android Auto works OK so I think I will leave it! :(

Ah....the model you have selected. OK makes sense but you must have been really pizzed off. But even so, your car I assume is pretty new and the head unit recent. My issue was with the updating method as the downloaded update to the USB stick only got so far then "Update Failed" on screen. Tried it about 40 times over 5 month period. In the end they fixed it. Now I know where I am going or coming from🤣🤣🤣
In my case I tried the update and it broke the infotainment unit such that it had to be removed and sent to Longbridge for re-programming.

Step 1
Take a good quality 16 or 32g USB stick and erase and format to FAT32 16- or 32-bytes size.
In the case of EHS PHEV go to head unit and go to settings section. If you are in the correct section then on the left hand of screen will be a list.
Top is -AUDIO- I believe and the bottom one is -SYSTEM-
Touch SYSTEM and you are in the HEAD system page that will show all the factory resets buttons. DON’T TOUCH THEM.
Scroll or finger down to the NAVIGATION UPDATE button.
Touch / press START and the screen will change and state the there is no USB media file inserted.
At this point put the USB drive that was formatted into the INPUT USB port furthest away from the fag lighter.
A few moments later the screen will identify the inserted USB drive and ask you want to proceed
Select YES and the Head Unit will download the current info about the unit and the maps already loaded in system.
Once it has done this it will ask you to remove the USB stick.
This is the “FOOTPRINT”
Done.

Step 2
You got to. Naviextras.com - Map updates for your navigation device and more...

Create and account and select you’re your car ….MG EHS PHEV 2021 or 2022 if it is showing. When you have, follow instructions.
Download ‘Naviextras toolbox’ and install on computer. It is at this point after launching the ‘toolbox’ you insert the USB stick. Screen will ask you to log in with user name which is your email address and the password which is the same as when you created the account.
The ‘toolbox’ will recognise your head unit and then go to maps download page. Here you can select which ones to download.
Make your selection and hit ‘GO’ or ‘OK’.
The maps will download and install on the USB drive. Does take a while.
Once completed it will say you can remove USB stick and install map updates on head unit.

It is at this point that my system didn’t play nicely.

Once you go back to car use Step 1:
In the case of EHS PHEV go to head unit and go to settings section. If you are in the correct section then on the left hand of screen will be a list.
Touch SYSTEM and you are in the HEAD system page that will show all the factory resets buttons. DON’T TOUCH THEM.
Touch / press START and the screen will change and state the there is no USB media file inserted.
At this point put the USB drive that was formatted into the INPUT USB port furthest away from the fag lighter.
A few moments later the screen will identify the inserted USB drive and ask you want to proceed and it should ask you if you want to install the maps.
Select OK or YES. Should all happen smoothly.

Pricing.
For some the cost of 119€ for Western Europe and 129€ for Europe may be somewhat steep.
Unlike Sygic, TomTom, and others who give you long term updates at no cost Naviextras is different. When you buy a map, it is a once only download but there are some Free updates that appear during the year.

Unlike the free Waze or google maps and whatever you have on your phone through Apple car play or Android Auto you must pay for Navi Maps as you have a mapping system on your infotainment screen with no wires, Bluetooth boxes etc cluttering up the lower dash.

I had considered using my Samsung phone with full blown Sygic on it and wire connected to USB input port, but I decided that I have paid good money for a well-equipped car that I want my infotainment system and Sat Nav to work as it should and what it was designed for.

I will see how many roads are changed here in Malta as there are major improvements happening. That will determine my paid update schedule over the next couple of years. I can say that Gozo is a no brainer to grasp location knowledge but even though Malta is not big the roads are a nightmare and I am still on a learning curve. I knew all of Outer London, Central London and the City like the back of my hand with no need for Sat Nav. Not the same for Malta….at present.

If any one feels that I have been too long winded in my post or overstepped the mark then I stand corrected and can remove my post.

I have an HS PHEV that is one year old. Just had it serviced at my MG dealer in UK. I asked them to update navigation with latest maps. They say to log in and register my car on the MG web site. I can find nowhere to log in. So looked at Naviextras. eHS is listed so set it as my device. There is a qtr one 2022 map set for my car for Western Europe. But it costs £100 - updates were free on my Hyundai Tucson! Then it talks about needing a USB stick with a "footprint". What's that about? Do I need a "footprint"? How do I get that? This is all very confusing - and expensive! Luckily Android Auto works OK so I think I will leave it! :(
I think..a footprint is where you have kicked the life out of it..and left the imprint on the screen.🤣🤣

I think..a footprint is where you have kicked the life out of it..and left the imprint on the screen.🤣🤣
excellent GIF

Step 1
Take a good quality 16 or 32g USB stick and erase and format to FAT32 16- or 32-bytes size.
A few moments later the screen will identify the inserted USB drive and ask you want to proceed
Select YES and the Head Unit will download the current info about the unit and the maps already loaded in system.
Once it has done this it will ask you to remove the USB stick.
This is the “FOOTPRINT”
Done.

Step 2
You got to. Naviextras.com - Map updates for your navigation device and more...

Create and account and select you’re your car ….MG EHS PHEV 2021 or 2022 if it is showing. When you have, follow instructions.
Download ‘Naviextras toolbox’ and install on computer. It is at this point after launching the ‘toolbox’ you insert the USB stick. Screen will ask you to log in with user name which is your email address and the password which is the same as when you created the account.
The ‘toolbox’ will recognise your head unit and then go to maps download page. Here you can select which ones to download.
Make your selection and hit ‘GO’ or ‘OK’.
The maps will download and install on the USB drive. Does take a while.
Once completed it will say you can remove USB stick and install map updates on head unit.

It is at this point that my system didn’t play nicely.

Once you go back to car use Step 1:
A few moments later the screen will identify the inserted USB drive and ask you want to proceed and it should ask you if you want to install the maps.
Select OK or YES. Should all happen smoothly.

Pricing.
For some the cost of 119€ for Western Europe and 129€ for Europe may be somewhat steep.
Unlike Sygic, TomTom, and others who give you long term updates at no cost Naviextras is different. When you buy a map, it is a once only download but there are some Free updates that appear during the year.

Unlike the free Waze or google maps and whatever you have on your phone through Apple car play or Android Auto you must pay for Navi Maps as you have a mapping system on your infotainment screen with no wires, Bluetooth boxes etc cluttering up the lower dash.

I had considered using my Samsung phone with full blown Sygic on it and wire connected to USB input port, but I decided that I have paid good money for a well-equipped car that I want my infotainment system and Sat Nav to work as it should and what it was designed for.

I will see how many roads are changed here in Malta as there are major improvements happening. That will determine my paid update schedule over the next couple of years. I can say that Gozo is a no brainer to grasp location knowledge but even though Malta is not big the roads are a nightmare and I am still on a learning curve. I knew all of Outer London, Central London and the City like the back of my hand with no need for Sat Nav. Not the same for Malta….at present.

If any one feels that I have been too long winded in my post or overstepped the mark then I stand corrected and can remove my post.
What an outstanding, helpful post. Thank you so much, these are the instructions I have been dreaming about. I'm off to try it, thanks again!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom