• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Secret menu Mk2 - Pin

hmadsen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
In the menu where you can see the what version the infotainment is running, if you press the version string 5 times, it pops up a dialog, asking for a pincode.

I wonder what's behind that pincode. The secret menu perhaps :)

Must enter 6 digits before the "OK" button becomes active so quite a lot of possibilities :)

Random guesses probably not a good idea :LOL:
No i guess trying out 1 million combinations is going to take a while.

We could divide the pool into smaller parts, but since most in here does not seem to have gotten their car, it will probably take some time.

I guess the code will be guessed or leaked at some point.

Statistically you should be able to get the code in about 50% tries, so statistically you only need 500.000 different tries.

If 1000 owners got together and tried 500 each, (Someone should arrange who tried what ranges) it would be possible.

But on the other hand, it would be kind of a bummer if there is nothing interesting in there or MG pushed an OTA that also changed that code. (But still, maybe hacking this code, is the only way to force them to actually make an OTA update :) )

I guess, if they make an update, that can also be applied via USB and people can download that, it might be possible to reverse engineer the firmware and retrieve the code this way :)

That sounds like the Android "developer options" menu. There's no knowing what might be hidden there on a car but on a phone there's various settings that may be of interest to a hacker, such as enabling USB debugging, bootloader unlocking and other stuff.
On a phone, to access it you would enter the phone's normal user unlock pin. But the MG embedded version of Android obviously does not use a user pin.

Also have a look at the vehicle VIN number, perhaps first 6, last 6, or the 6 following a letter in the VIN.
I highly doubt it will be that specific, that would be a monumental task to hard code that pin code individually into each individual car... it is 100% going to be a generic code that is hard coded into each vehicle

I highly doubt it will be that specific, that would be a monumental task to hard code that pin code individually into each individual car... it is 100% going to be a generic code that is hard coded into each vehicle
Yeah, and i found out that you can press "accept" after entering 6 digits, but you can also enter more than 6 digits, so maybe the code is 8 digits.

In the menu where you can see the what version the infotainment is running, if you press the version string 5 times, it pops up a dialog, asking for a pincode.

I wonder what's behind that pincode. The secret menu perhaps :)

Must enter 6 digits before the "OK" button becomes active so quite a lot of possibilities :)
000000 🤣

Feel like i've just finished searching the entire Interwebs... All i have is that this model is called ZS11E EU... 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_20220710_225134.jpg
    IMG_20220710_225134.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 520
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom