• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Setting Battery to 80%

Cameron1590

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello

We collected our zs ev from the dealer last week. When we collected the car is was in "long journey mode" and would charge up to 100%.

We are struggling to work out how to set it to "Battery Health Mode" where it will only charge to 80%

We can't find any settings in the car. After pairing the app, we noticed you can change the charge % by swiping on the battery symbol but it always states "failed" and then goes back to 100%

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi! If it’s a SR model, it’s normal, because it’s an LFP battery, you can’t lower the charge limit.
You need to keep these batteries equalized in order for them to work properly, and the equalizing/balancing happens at 100%.
Also, charging this type of battery to 100% causes no damage or degradation.

Ah perfect!

Thank you for the advice, it is indeed a SR version. You think MG would have made the menu a little clearer as to me it reads like it is an option.

I guess it's a cost saving, just applying the same operating system across the entire range.

Thanks for your help.

Tesla has the same battery and recommends charging to 100% at least once a week but a often as possible. So with LFP battery just plug it when not in use if you can

Hi, I have the new long range Trophy model and it did charge to 100% but now it won't charge over 70% and says it is fully charged. On the info screen it says that there is a long journey mode to take the charge to 100% but it won't turn on and won't start charging to take the charge to 100%. How do I make it charge to the full range. Don

Hi Don,

I only have a standard range so I can't help. I would recommend starting a new thread with your issue so the rest of the forum see it.

Sure someone will know once you start a new thread.

Cheers
Hi, I have the new long range Trophy model and it did charge to 100% but now it won't charge over 70% and says it is fully charged. On the info screen it says that there is a long journey mode to take the charge to 100% but it won't turn on and won't start charging to take the charge to 100%. How do I make it charge to the full range. Don

Hi! Try disconnecting the 12V battery for 5 minutes.

If you can’t, just start the car with the foot on the brakes, and then press and hold the home button under the infotainment screen until it becomes black.
This will reset the screen

I note several threads on this topic, many stating you need to charge your SR to 100. My reading suggests the only benefit of the full charge is it improves accuracy of the range estimate. Charging to 100 is still likely to be less healthy for the battery than charging to 80, though this difference isn't as high with LFP batteries. Tesla recommend charging to 100 because people will be annoyed with inaccurate range before their battery degrades, which takes much longer.

If your car wont charge to 100% look at the charging screen put your finger on the dotted line showing charge only to 80 / 70% or whatever it's at and drag the dotted line to 100% or whatever you want the percentage to be.

If your car wont charge to 100% look at the charging screen put your finger on the dotted line showing charge only to 80 / 70% or whatever it's at and drag the dotted line to 100% or whatever you want the percentage to be.
Hi Roldorf, thank you for your advice, cured my mg zs ev, straight away, was only going to 80%. Only had car since March, and this forum as been brilliant, for curing problems Thanks all.

Hi Roldorf, thank you for your advice, cured my mg zs ev, straight away, was only going to 80%. Only had car since March, and this forum as been brilliant, for curing problems Thanks all.
There is loads on here àbout whether or not to go to 80% or 100% using a type2 AC EVSE.
A lot depends on battery chemistry but also if you are going to keep the car or have it on lease and if you need a full charge every morning.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom