MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

V5 is not proof of ownership
you're just a registered keeper
Screenshot_20220704_202449.jpg

I think it says it on there😂

Last edited:
Hi Grumpy, how do you get a V5 from the DVLA, have you already paid for the car, or just a deposit. I was under the impression that a V5 was proof of ownership, and if you have only paid a deposit what would stop some unscrupulous person from stating the dealership was withholding there car? I’m confused, and curious.
cheers mate, I’m interested to see your reply.
Never thought of that - current turn around for DVLA to send out Log Book is claimed 4 to 6 weeks. My lads new motorbike log book took 3 weeks in February.

Hi Grumpy, how do you get a V5 from the DVLA, have you already paid for the car, or just a deposit. I was under the impression that a V5 was proof of ownership, and if you have only paid a deposit what would stop some unscrupulous person from stating the dealership was withholding there car? I’m confused, and curious.
A V5 is not proof of ownership, only notice of registered keeper of the vehicle. Look at your existing V5. I paid a substantive deposit so I can enforce part performance if necessary.

Any news on the people who ordered cars via MG Darlington , did they manage to sort out who was responsible for cancelling there orders?
I really hope it’s been sorted out for them.
Yep it was an error by the dealership. The cars are still on order. Early Dec order still awaiting build apparently. Hoping of course this is the worst gestimate and it'll be on one of the in coming ships.

Your right mate v5 is proof of ownership 🤔🤔🤔

Just trying to work it out and nothing makes sense?

Ships send unknown cars that arrive by surprise at dealers without any warning and also the same ships carry cars where the dealers know they are at sea and have all the information to register.

Some cars are sent direct to Portbury or Tilbury docks.

Some car details are advised to dealers by Shanghai / MG UK so that they can register the cars before they have arrived in the UK. Spoke to my mate who took delivery of a Tesla four weeks ago. He has not got log book yet? Dealer told him it takes 6 weeks.

What if the car that is already registered to you arrives at the dealership and it has a big dent from either the ship or the transport from the port to the dealer. Are you told you have to accept that car or can you reject it?

Now we find that Some cars are sent to Europe, offloaded and then loaded onto another ship to be delivered to the UK. This must be very complex and expensive post brexit with customs as would have to pay duty in Europe, customs charges, then export duties and import into UK.

It is for this very reason that cars to Ireland do not come via UK anymore as they used to. Irish cars are now imported via Europe and then sent direct to Ireland - do not touch UK or it will cost more.

Nothing surprises me anymore with MG UK.

Ok mate thank you.
I've got no idea what that means and find it rather baffling that MG would sign over and register a vehicle before thay have it. most unusual but hey nothing would surprise me anymore where MG are concerned.

Just out of interest, i checked Elmo and found this. Good idea for those unfortunate whom have been left without a car, whilst awaiting delivery for their ordered MG. Also a fair few more on there should you not be fussy re: what you have. Great post from Kevkdg, could well suit some on here.

Sorry just noted…..coming soon!! Still maybe others, as I suggested, that could be a stop gap.

View attachment 9422
Saw that too. Booked a white one for 25/7 - hopefully will help with the wait.

Saw that too. Booked a white one for 25/7 - hopefully will help with the wait.
@scoobeesnac Did you get a registration number allocated? Did you use a discount code? I'm using this until my vanarama lease one arrives. Only risk is if the lease one turns up out of the blue I might have an overlap.

We like to think MG is the exception when it comes to terrible communication and delayed deliveries, but unfortunately it's not the case. Check the Enyaq forum, about two thirds of them are still waiting, similar to us.

Their whining thread is only 150-page long so we still have the lead here. Good job everyone!

Screenshot 2022-07-05 at 10.49.14.png

@scoobeesnac Did you get a registration number allocated? Did you use a discount code? I'm using this until my vanarama lease one arrives. Only risk is if the lease one turns up out of the blue I might have an overlap.
Registration number allocated & discount code from the Elmo site, yes. Still waiting on vehicle availability confirmation & contract, expecting them this week - hoping that this doesn't keep getting pushed back 4 months as well! :-o
We'll keep hold of it for a few months and see how it works for us, but may have to rethink our (March) MG order if no news.

Last edited:
Registration number allocated & discount code from the Elmo site, yes. Still waiting on vehicle availability confirmation - hoping that this doesn't keep getting pushed back 4 months as well! :-o
We'll keep hold of it for a few months and see how it works for us, but may have to rethink our (March) MG order if no news.
@scoobeesnac have you had a contract to sign yet from them?

MG isn't the exception when it comes to wait times & poor communication, doesn't make it any better. If people want to complain, that's their choice - nobody is forced to read here or anywhere else. And back last year, it was well known that the Enyaq had horrendous wait times whereas MG were still giving 4 month delivery times until recently. Ultimately though, I don't care about other manufacturers - just my experience with the one I'm currently having to deal with.
Just in case anyone is interested when picking our car up yesterday, for those who like to track the ships... Some of the latest have been diverted to Tilbury and not Portbury. Thought that might be of use to someone.
Also, to give you an idea of the scale of orders, our local delay (Stoneacre Derby) normally sells 400 new cars a year, and so far they have over 800 on order. The dealer showed me the list on his computer, it's unbelievable and I am afraid to say they really have no idea when and where a car will show up. He did state that when MG says it's at sea, it is given a date which actually assumes that the ship will get into issues with weather and blockages and this is why sometimes they turn up out of the blue.
Thank you - I can't see that Tilbury was mentioned too much before, so interesting to know they are coming in via that route. And the scale of orders is amazing.

Just trying to work it out and nothing makes sense?

Ships send unknown cars that arrive by surprise at dealers without any warning and also the same ships carry cars where the dealers know they are at sea and have all the information to register.

Some cars are sent direct to Portbury or Tilbury docks.

Some car details are advised to dealers by Shanghai / MG UK so that they can register the cars before they have arrived in the UK. Spoke to my mate who took delivery of a Tesla four weeks ago. He has not got log book yet? Dealer told him it takes 6 weeks.

What if the car that is already registered to you arrives at the dealership and it has a big dent from either the ship or the transport from the port to the dealer. Are you told you have to accept that car or can you reject it?

Now we find that Some cars are sent to Europe, offloaded and then loaded onto another ship to be delivered to the UK. This must be very complex and expensive post brexit with customs as would have to pay duty in Europe, customs charges, then export duties and import into UK.

It is for this very reason that cars to Ireland do not come via UK anymore as they used to. Irish cars are now imported via Europe and then sent direct to Ireland - do not touch UK or it will cost more.

Nothing surprises me anymore with MG UK.
Trying to figure it out will twist your melon. I think what it comes down to, is that whomever is responsible for allocation at MG just hasn't a clue what they're doing... Or they're trying to add excitement to a mundane job by keeping dealers & customers alike on their toes 😁

Does anyone have an updated list of likely ships coming into both ports? I probably missed it in the last few pages.

Finally got my car (ZS EV Lr) yesterday despite the best attempts at the dealer/government grant screw ups! Loving it so far!! Worth the wait guys. Keep the chins up and so glad I don’t have to keep checking this thread anymore 3 times a day!!! 😂😂😂
Congratulations!! It's so nice to read that your bad experience hasn't spoiled your enjoyment of the car. I do hope you get your grant money eventually, but pleased you get to 'graduate' out of this thread 😅

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom