• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Software update disaster (now resolved)

PeteJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I left home at 7.15am this morning to drive to Richmond MG Southampton, full of excitement as they were going to install comfort pack update. They loaned me a small Hyundai car and I drove the 25 miles back home full of expectations that at last the 'bongs' would be silenced. They called me about 3.45 and I made the return journey. On arrival I paid the £120 and was led out to my car. I saw that there was now a temperature reading and that the range was showing and bliss, there were no bongs telling me that I had lane keep disabled.. I drove a few hundred yards away from the workshop along a narrow service road and stopped at traffic lights. When they turned green the car stayed where it was. I turned it off and on again but no go. The screen and dials stayed lit up and there were no warning messages. I now had a long line of cars behind me with nowhere to go as it was a one way road and too narrow to turn around. Eventually helpful people arrived and pushed me on to the pavement. I returned to Richmond who went to the car which then started for them. In the workshop after a long wait they told me that the car would have to stay with them. I wait for the call from them tomorrow which will mean that another day is written off.

Oh dear. Sorry to hear what happened! Was the handbrake not disengaging?

Hi @PeteJ
Shieeet as someone in Norway would say!!
I bought mine from Southampton as well and was intending to get them to do the update at the 15k service in January. Mmmm?
I am equally located between them and a new dealership in Bournemouth and was in two minds which to go to. Strangely, both are connected to Hyundai dealerships one Richmonds and the other Henry’s.
Actually, when we picked the car up we had to kill three hours as it hadn’t been charged up prior to handover.

Last edited:
If a dealer is fairly new to MG I do wonder how much experience they have on MG cars?

Still no car! I have been told that after contacting the MG technical team the garage reinstalled the Comfort software and sent the read out from the cars computer to the MG team. They advised that other pieces of software should also be updated. That done, the car was taken for a test run and a computer download sent back to MG. If they are happy I will get the car back tomorrow???

I had a new car on order in July and when the dealer put it in for PDI and the updates it bricked the car.
The deal was cancelled by mutual consent.
I then looked to get a deal for the zsev from another dealer and was told by the sales guy that the comfort 2 update was on hold and not to be done?
But I will be picking?? up my pre reg car up on Saturday from the same dealer group just a different area (Milton Keynes) and this will have all updates done apparently we will see can't wait but still nervous its the right car.?

Had mine done a couple of weeks ago, over 500 miles since and no trouble (touching wood now) - they even managed to push it on the first go, which is apparently not common. Oficially it's 45 minutes, but according to my local dealership in Swindon can take anywhere between that and 8 hours. However long it takes it's a £90 fixed fee here. I heard of others in London area charging in excess of £240. It is well worth it if you use lane depart or any propilot features - standard bongs drove me crazy... Interestingly I was watching one of FullyCharged reviews a few weeks back of another Chinese car (available in China only) called Weltmeister (WELTMEISTER EX5-Z: the best-selling EV you’ve never heard of? – Fully Charged Show if you want to watch it). Their feedback was almost identical to bongs - just loads of them... on anything you do or don't do.

I’ve had inconsistencies with mine at to what was meant to happen, but decided to ask for it to be rechecked at the 15000 miles service to give them time to resolve and glitches.
Still get a one horn tone on closing doors if I’m not out of the car before my passengers close their doors if the motor is switched off.
High beam switch off doesn’t seem to work, auto high beam has come on when driving in dark lanes.
Predicted range still showing over 213 miles on a full charge, it was b
Never that high before the update.
These are not major matters, but it would suggest further improvements could be made. Didn’t someone say that a battery heating update was due to be released in August?

I now have my car back with no bongs. I will see if the other changes work over the next few days but at the moment everything seems fine. It seems that the comments about inexperienced technicians may be correct as the workshop had to liaise with MG Technical for guidance over this fiasco.

My experience with Lexus Is that the service guys are just that anything more complicated and a Lexus head office techy is called upon.
I guess it’s not cost effective to have highly skilled/paid staff under utilised most of the time.

Have driven over 25 miles today, wow, what a difference. everything seems to work faster and quieter without the bongs. all functions seem to act more smoothly. I have not seen any changes to my projected mileage. The car is what it should have been in the beginning. The process was very frustrating and time wasting and has left me with questions as to whether I use the same dealer again.

Glad to hear that all is finally well. I will be going to the Toyota dealership in Bournemouth on Monday and am planning to visit the MG dealership across the road to check them out.
I shall report back my findings.

At least yours is all done and working, mine is done, but I believe it’s only half working, auto high beams option is within the settings is set so that they shouldn’t come on, but guess what the high beams came on when they should have...it’s really, really frustrating..only 6000 miles to go until I get them reinstalled and we can try again..

Sorry to hear about the problems experienced by some. My comfort 2 update went fine at no cost. Great! Heard others mentioned an increase in range. On full charge mine reads160. After update still the same. Any thoughts?
Generally very impressed with the car, even better without the ‘bongs’.

Mine GOM shows 218 range on a full charge in ECO and with fans, heating / cooling off; but it doesn’t do that albeit I do drive very economically and recently on a combined run of motorway and back roads achieved 4.9 miles per KWh, caveats is that my motor way speed was between 50 and 60 mph just to see what I could get out of it..

Have my EV booked in at Richmond tomorrow (Monday 7th) for the software update. I'll mention your problem and see what they come up with. If all goes well I think I'll drive up and down, switching the car on/off a few time before venturing away. Fingers crossed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom