Software updates ZS EV

Ian

Established Member
Reaction score
Took our EV into the dealer for an oil leak from the N/S drive shaft ( at less than 500 miles) That being completed hopefully successfully I asked about Software updates. The receptionist informed me that I would be expected to pay as MG wouldn't for any future updates unless mandated by MG !!!! I decided not to debate it further. Seems rather odd that when the vehicle constructor upgrades and resolves software issues the owner should fund the application of the patch ?

Hi Ian,
I will not be surprised.
You know my position on MG/SAIC already.
To me they are money grabbers so if an update is deemed necessary but "not essential" i.e. the vehicle will continue to function adequately without said update, then most likely MG may refuse to pay for it.
My recommendation will be joint customer action to get MG to offer same as Tesla...free updates.
I will investigate this issue when I send my car in for updates next week.

Just about to take delivery (tomorrow) of car that was due delivery day after lockdown. It would be too much to hope I guess that they have installed any software updates that have come out subsequently.

You’re dealer should prep your car before collecting, which will or should include all the latest updates that have been released, however it wouldn’t hurt to phone them and ask anyway..

My advice would be No Update, then dont accept the car, its not unreasonable to expect the car to be sporting the latest updates for best practice. Im sure if you ring the dealer then they will apply the update, its a 20 min ite job(max). I insisted with ours on delivery.

Agreed my biggest issue is not knowing when new updates are released..as I would like to know when and what will change so that I can decide whether to book the car in or to wait until my next service...

My advice would be No Update, then dont accept the car, its not unreasonable to expect the car to be sporting the latest updates for best practice. Im sure if you ring the dealer then they will apply the update, its a 20 min ite job(max). I insisted with ours on delivery.
Totally agree, but how do you know if you have the latest software installed anyway..is there anyway of checking or do you take it on face value that is been applied??

Thanks both,
I did check with dealer (salesman) & he said he wasn't aware of any updates.
This of course does beg the question asked by Mark, "How do you know what IS the latest version". Best practice would surely be that MG would have an owners page on their website that details a new version & what that corrects or improves.
You would have thought as Mark says the "corrective updates" would be free, the ones like improved ,maps etc I can see could be a charge option.

On a number of occasions when my RX450h came back from a service I’d find that the SatNav would work more efficiently. No charge or mention of it from the dealer it just got done.

And I remember many years ago being ask to pay for an ECU software update, I asked for more details and in the end when information couldn’t be provided they reluctantly removed the cost. I then went to a Mazda main dealership and asked about the ECU updates to which I was told there weren’t any...it all boils down to trust and I like to see evidence of things, perhaps that’s why I’m in security.

Outside Temperature is now visible on Centerdisplay (right top corner, but only shows whole numbers, even if the decimal place is available.)
Kilometers / miles remaining range on Dashdisplay
Faster startup, only 1 (new) Bong and during driving no annoying Bling Blong from Lane Assist

signal-2020-05-19-145315.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-05-19 15-58-46.png

Last edited:
Outside Temperature is now visible on Centerdisplay (right top corner, but only shows whole numbers, even if the decimal place is available.)
Kilometers / miles remaining range on Dashdisplay
Faster startup, only 1 (new) Bong and during driving no annoying Bling Blong from Lane Assist

View attachment 185View attachment 186

Wow, outside temperature, excellent, I wonder if it will show an ice warning when it gets close to zero.

Did you have to pay for this, or did the dealer apply it free of charge? Was it done at the same time as a service, or a stand alone update?

pay for an update which solves all these annoying problems? never!
I know from reliable sources that this is a hot iron at MG (SAIC) and they will be careful not to take money for it!

I have emailed my supplying dealer just to see if they are aware and will they be updating clients vehicles? Hopeful but not holding my breath ;)

Not experienced the "delight" of the BB but dealer said he had silenced them as he found the noise annoying - so, fingers crossed.

Update took 2-3 hours, we got a (of course) free loaner.
the engine Control unit and charging unit were also updated.

2 weeks ago we received the 8 tire update, so that the pressure sensors of summer and winter tires can be taught in and it is no longer necessary to learn them when changing tires in the workshop.

felt the MG is now more powerful when accelerating and shows significantly better response.

that was the "big" April update which has moved a bit, release date was 15th of May 2020

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom