MG5 SOH

It's an MG dealer, so no f help at all. I thought about doing several equalisation charges on a 7kw charger starting tomorrow. Thanks for your help and fingers crossed
You are very welcome !.
This forum is a wealth of good information from other owners who have suffered in the same way as yourself.
When some cars where affected by buggy software that entered in to the system, when some updates where applied to the car like the Comfort 2 update etc.
That is where the problems started !.
To correct this error, the BMS update was applied to rectify the problem of reduced range etc.
Owners using D/C rapid chargers, were just making the problem even bigger and putting the HV pack more and more out of balance.
Some cars that were charging on a A/C supply and only recently updated, were affected less so.
The recommendation from MG was to inform the affected owners, to use either a wall box or a Granny and charge to 100% and leave the car connected.
At 100% the car would then commence the balancing process.
If you are able to monitor the length of time it takes to complete the balance, it will give you a rough indication of the level of imbalance in the pack.
IF the battery IS out of balance, don’t worry it will recover !.
It just make take numerous balance cycles to recover the balance in the pack.
I you need to do more research on the forum on this subject, then type “BMS Update” in the search 🔍 field at the top of the page.
Word of warning, it will be a long read but it offers a huge insight of information.
My car was one of the first cars to receive the BMS update, the day after it was first released !.
So I understand what it is like alright !.

I have just returned from my first service (just over 12000 miles) and the box to record the SOH was blank. When I queried this I was told that MG don’t record SOH readings when the vehicle is serviced. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Couple of ways of looking at this I guess ?.
As part of the main dealer service, the dealer should be hooking up the diagnostic computer to check if the car has any outstanding updates to apply to the car, this clearly publicised as the main reason WHY people should be using the main dealerships for servicing needs and not a third party to service their cars.
The main dealer will be the only people who can access the main MG server.
If checking the battery SOH is a requirement on the official MG service check list, then clearly it should be done ✅ or what is the point of having it on the sheet in the first place ?.
Not populating the SOH would imply to me that it was either not recorded or they have no data to populate the SOH field with 🤷‍♂️.
Is the process getting skipped ?.

I have just returned from my first service (just over 12000 miles) and the box to record the SOH was blank. When I queried this I was told that MG don’t record SOH readings when the vehicle is serviced. Has anyone else found this to be the case?
I went to a main dealer for a first service and they didn't record it either. Another dealer did it on the second service. To be honest on the first service they were so useless I was glad to get out and still have a working car. It took 3 visits to update the software and they broke the radio!!!!!!. I'd be very interested to know what your SOH is...

I had my second service at 29K and they put 100% down for SOH which is strange as my OBD reading for it was 98%.
They didn't have time to do any software updates.
They did say I needed 4 tyres, at £160 each, as they were between 2.8mm and 3mm which I was fully aware of.

I had my second service at 29K and they put 100% down for SOH which is strange as my OBD reading for it was 98%.
They didn't have time to do any software updates.
They did say I needed 4 tyres, at £160 each, as they were between 2.8mm and 3mm which I was fully aware of.
On a service I once had on one of my VW’s I was advised that two of my tyres 🛞 required replacement.
They were being reported as 3.5mm remaining and quickly added that they could do it while it was there, if I wanted of course.
When I questioned this, they said they recommend replace at anything below 4.00mm now.
They even had a price to replace them, ready on hand.
More expensive than latter research discovered.
I mean come on, there is only roughly 7.00mm on a brand new tyre !.
I declined their kind offer.

I used this:
Amazon product ASIN B08BPC179W
together with the "Car Scanner" App:
Do you leave this dongle in all the time. I fitted one today and used this app. I couldn't find battery state of health values on it. There was an empty square on a page that was titled as such but no value was showing. Then the cars alarm kept activating after I had put it in so I had to take it out again.

I have just put the same blue device in and got this on my MG5

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230218-180251.jpg
    Screenshot_20230218-180251.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Alb

You have really piqued my interest, I didn't know we could get a 'scanner'. Did you ever use the NEXAS NexLink with Car Scanner ELM OBD2 in Windows? I would have to use a laptop.

Interested in your thoughts
Sincerely
Martin
Have you tried the car scanner app?
Works great on mine, the outside temp window shows 218c but i can live with that.

When is on charge it shows a negative reading rather than a positive reading but i can live with that.

Have you tried the car scanner app?
Works great on mine, the outside temp window shows 218c but i can live with that.

When is on charge it shows a negative reading rather than a positive reading but i can live with that.
Re my earlier question. Do you leave the OBD dongle in or just connect it as and when you require any information that can obtained from using it with a relevant app? I've watched lots of You Tube videos and nobody has said that after connecting it to the car, just leave it there ir take it out after using it?

Re my earlier question. Do you leave the OBD dongle in or just connect it as and when you require any information that can obtained from using it with a relevant app? I've watched lots of You Tube videos and nobody has said that after connecting it to the car, just leave it there ir take it out after using it?
I leave mine in, or should i say i forget to take it out.
Mine does have a on/off button however upon car start up it turns it on automatically.
The car alarm only triggers if i decide to run the app with the car off and locked.

Not noticed any drain on the 12v if left in and the car not used.

I saw somewhere that MG removed SOH from the first service.

It's an MG dealer, so no f help at all. I thought about doing several equalisation charges on a 7kw charger starting tomorrow. Thanks for your help and fingers crossed
It also balances on the way down to either 94 or 96% so after an equalisation you can put it in ready mode and not drive to keep balancing for hours (just make sure no-one can get in and drive off).

Had the first service done on our ZS EV LR only yesterday, happy to receive a "service check off sheet" and went through it at home, the SOC & SOH fields where left blank.
Am I concerned - NO not at all TBH.
Why don't they populate these fields ?.
I have no idea really, as in my case I know the car was hooked up to the dia computer for sure.
The only reason I can offer, is that because at 1 year old they do not expect to report any issues regarding HV battery issues anyway.
Which I go along with really.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom