• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Solar EV / Panels / Batteries

biffo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
As I delve deeper down this rabbit hole, I start to think of better ways to charge an EV along with renewables and potentially solar batteries (although WFH may negate their benefit somewhat).

Anyway, this link seems well thought out and good maths involved. Given Scottish Government 0% grants for solar and batteries, might be my next step.

Although, if Vehicle 2 Home/Grid becomes more common, then older compatible bi-directional cars surch as Nissan Leaf may become Viable alternatives solar batteries.

hi biffo
I agree a bit of a rabbit hole. overtime I have had installed

3.5 kW of solar
13kw tesla powerwall 2
on octopus go tariff

currently, electric bills are running at less than £10 a month and approx £30 a month in winter

bought zs 30/06/21 and charging free locally for now

awaiting zappi install so I can charge with access solar and not discharge my powerwall into the car
as the zappi seems to be the only EV charger that will take storage batteries needs into account.

all this works for me

as the presenter of the video says its what suites you that counts (horses for courses)

enjoy your adventure

ps for anybody that whats it this is my octopus referral

share.octopus.energy/flax-whale-708

I'm looking at getting a Zappi too - chances are I'll move to a British Gas EV tariff, not quite as cheap as Octopus but I'm tied to them until next year and wouldn't save the £70 early exit fees moving elsewhere.

Second generation smart meter install is booked & waiting for home efficiency survey to be arranged - the 0% loans for £5k solar and/or £6k battery seem like the next logical step.

Until that all happens, hopefully the 50kW chargers nearby remain free for a while yet!

I did a quick analysis of solar and/or battery and couldn't get the figures to show a payback less than 20 years. Given my age (let's just say I'm not far off the state pension) it's not that attractive!

Discussed it with my electrician and his response was that any such install would be to be "green" rather than worrying about a payback.

My thoughts are that I would sooner ensure my electric supplier is "green" and they can worry about generation rather than me.

It is tempting though to go down the rabbit hole!

I'm not completely sold on the battery yet - not entirely sure that it would pay itself back - but like you say, it's more about the green-ness of it all, and self sufficiency aspects.

Solar batteries are only going to get cheaper over time though as more of the early generation EVs are scrapped and their batteries repurposed - so maybe something that'll drop in price over time.

hi
zappi is not cheap but is the best (only) option for solar and battery as far as I know.

biffo check with octopus as I think that will pay your exit fee.

battery addition made good sense for me as I got the solar back in 2011 and on good fit payment but the export was based on 50/50. but after some spreadsheeting was found I was only using 25% of solar-generated. so had powerwall installed march 2020 now I use in access of 85% of solar-generated.

reduced my electric bill from over £600 to less than £250 approx saving pa £350
I could not get that sort of return on my investment elsewhere.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom