• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

South korea a third world country ?

Mgkev

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just watched a "Thames Television" clip on Youtube of a c1980 motoring show which contains an article on foreign car imports. A motoring expert (?) is asked if the UK should be worried about possible car imports from the likes of South Korea to which the expert replies,
"I don't believe the UK should be concerned about any imports from third world countries such as South Korea".
Mmmm, it just shows how blinkered we were forty years ago.

In the early 1950s the communists of North Korea, supported by China, almost completely over-ran what is now known as South Korea and pretty much demolished the country. South Korea was defended by the USA and the UN. The Gloucester Regiment lost a lot of its men defending an attack by North Korea as they tried to capture Seoul at the battle of Imjin River. The “Glosters” are still revered in South Korea.

South Korea has build up from literally nothing in the 1960s to what it is now. I have been involved in business there since 1990 and have certainly seen the country grow into the most technology advanced country in the world. Being involved in the automotive industry I have also seen massive advances in their capabilities. Their absolute work ethos is unmatched, even by the Japanese (a country hated by many of the older Koreans for good reason).

Similar thing with China. 70 years from peasant culture that at one point was associated with crap quality products - made in China anyone? - to global producer and provider of everything and hi-tech metropolitan power.
Also the fact that they own most of UK services now, one way or another.

Phenomenal really.

Went there for a month just before Covid release and had more than a few moments of feeling like I was the one from the third world country ( UK) .

Reassured we'll never go to war with them though. Why would they be interested in destroying their client base ? 🤔

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom