Space saver spare wheel kit

KlinkPC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a MG ZS EV here in Australia. It is impossible to buy a space saver kit here as spare parts search by VIN and the result is zero. Could some kind soul find me the part number for the space saver spare wheel kit?

This is the one I bought:-

MG Sparewheel.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I ordered a space saver spare for my MG ZS EV through my dealer in Brisbane when I collected the car in November 2020. I'm still waiting on delivery of the spare, expected in February. The space saver hub (rim) is the same as supplied with the GS and HS models which is an R16 and has the same bolt pattern and P.C.D. as the ZS EV. The space saver tyre fitted to that rim will be a 125 90 R16, to closely match the outside diameter of the supplied 17" main tyres. The space saver tyre size is also shown on the door pillar on the drivers side.

I ordered a space saver spare for my MG ZS EV through my dealer in Brisbane when I collected the car in November 2020. I'm still waiting on delivery...
An update to my last posting in January on this subject. My dealer in Brisbane was unable to get a genuine MG ZS EV space saver. Apparently not imported to Australia. After further research I found an alternative with similar specs out of a wrecked 2012 VW Golf GTi. The RIM is an R18 with identical Bolt pattern and PCD. The tyre fitted to the 18" rim is a 125 70 R18 which is the closest external diameter match to the standard full size 215 50 R17's.

An update to my last posting in January on this subject. My dealer in Brisbane was unable to get a genuine MG ZS EV space saver. Apparently not imported to Australia. After further research I found an alternative with similar specs out of a wrecked 2012 VW Golf GTi. The RIM is an R18 with identical Bolt pattern and PCD. The tyre fitted to the 18" rim is a 125 70 R18 which is the closest external diameter match to the standard full size 215 50 R17's.
That is brilliant !.
Don’t forget, you will need 4 x Off of the VW wheel bolts to use IF and when you need the use the VW space saver spare wheel on the car.
If you source a VW bolt and compare it to the original MG bolt, by holding them side by side, you will notice that angle of the MG bolt and the VW bolt are completely different.
Therefore, the angle of countersink produced in each of the rims is also different of course.
Hope this helps !.

Hi, finally got some bolts to fit the VW space saver complete wheel kit.
Jack works a treat.
Had a quick go at fitting it and the bolts bolt work fine.
The spare does have a smaller diameter but it will get me to a tyre shop.

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_141528.jpg
    IMG_20210519_141528.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_20210519_141540.jpg
    IMG_20210519_141540.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_20210519_141600.jpg
    IMG_20210519_141600.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 384
I have just ordered one of these, I don't like not having a spare. I don't need the jack or brace, have those already. This is from the ebay guise of the wheelshop and is a fiver cheaper on the real website, but getting 2 day delivery with this as have a journey planned at the weekend.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Does anyone know what the Centre Bore size is for the MG ZS EV?
Is it 56.1mm?
I know the PCD is 5x112
I'm looking at getting hold of one from ebay/FB etc and want to make sure it'll be compatible.

Is it 56.1mm?
I know the PCD is 5x112
I'm looking at getting hold of one from ebay/FB etc and want to make sure it'll be compatible.

@MilesperkWh is the best person to answer this question, as the has researched wheel sizes etc for his wife's ZS EV.

Is it 56.1mm?
I know the PCD is 5x112

The wheel PCD is 5x112mm (same as Audi/VW/Mercedes etc), with a centre bore of 56.1mm

I have just been alerted to the fact that the steel space saver will accept the taper bolts -its more of an issue when you have alloy wheels, and the seat needs to match the bolt taper. With the steel space saver, the taper and radial bolts both work fine.
indeed if you look at the MG provided spare on the petrol versions, the steel wheel has a very thin steel hole, and there is no real angle to match the seat.

Last edited:
I have been looking into a space saver spare wheel while am waiting for my Long Range MG ZS EV to arrive and have ordered (on eBay) what I think is a suitable wheel.
The tyres on the new MG ZS are slightly larger than on the first generation.
215/55/R17 (rolling dia 668mm) as opposed to 215/50/R17 (rolling dia 648mm).
The max permitted variation of the rolling diameter for a spare wheel is 3%. This means that for a tyre with a rolling diameter of 668mm the spare space saver must be within 668 x 97% = 648mm. Or for the tyre fitted to the original ZS EV 648 x 97% = 629mm.
The recommended space saver for the original ZS EV (T125/70/R18) has a rolling diameter of 632mm and therefore is not suitable for the new MG ZS.
I have searched for a readilly available space saver for the new MG ZS and have found what I think is a suitable wheel/tyre:-

T125/70/R19. This is the space saver used on some Audi and probably other vehicles as well.

Unfortunately the centre bore is 66.6mm rather than the required 56.1mm (or is 57.1mm?) However adaptor rings are readily available on eBay for less than £3.00.

To sum up :-
Space saver wheel/tyre T125/70/R19 plus an adaptor ring 66.6mm to 57.1mm.

The off-set on the space saver is 29mm (ET29) and I believe the off-set on the MG ZS is 41mm (ET41) so I don't think that will be a problem.

I hope that the above is correct but as I have yet to receive my shiny new car I cannot be completley sure.

I have been looking into a space saver spare wheel while am waiting for my Long Range MG ZS EV to arrive and have ordered (on eBay) what I think is a suitable wheel.
The tyres on the new MG ZS are slightly larger than on the first generation.
215/55/R17 (rolling dia 668mm) as opposed to 215/50/R17 (rolling dia 648mm).
The max permitted variation of the rolling diameter for a spare wheel is 3%. This means that for a tyre with a rolling diameter of 668mm the spare space saver must be within 668 x 97% = 648mm. Or for the tyre fitted to the original ZS EV 648 x 97% = 629mm.
The recommended space saver for the original ZS EV (T125/70/R18) has a rolling diameter of 632mm and therefore is not suitable for the new MG ZS.
I have searched for a readilly available space saver for the new MG ZS and have found what I think is a suitable wheel/tyre:-

T125/70/R19. This is the space saver used on some Audi and probably other vehicles as well.

Unfortunately the centre bore is 66.6mm rather than the required 56.1mm (or is 57.1mm?) However adaptor rings are readily available on eBay for less than £3.00.

To sum up :-
Space saver wheel/tyre T125/70/R19 plus an adaptor ring 66.6mm to 57.1mm.

The off-set on the space saver is 29mm (ET29) and I believe the off-set on the MG ZS is 41mm (ET41) so I don't think that will be a problem.

I hope that the above is correct but as I have yet to receive my shiny new car I cannot be completley sure.
I should have added that the rolling diameter for space saver tyre/wheel T125/70/R19 is 658mm which is within 3% of the full sized tyre 668mm

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom