Wrong MG ZS EV spare wheel kit supplied - worth checking

John Arnold

Established Member
Reaction score
Took the good advice from another owner to get the spare wheel kit from my dealer. They supplied and fitted same yesterday. Only once I got home did I check. They supplied the ZS kit which will not fit the EV’s bolts. Could be worth checking if you have been supplied with the correct item. Easiest way to see the right one has a long bolt which fits to the wheel well with a plastic nut to retain the wheel and kit. Hate to think in an emergency having the wrong one.
Hope this helpful? PS. Dealer is replacing it.

Took the good advice from another owner to get the spare wheel kit from my dealer. They supplied and fitted same yesterday. Only once I got home did I check. They supplied the ZS kit which will not fit the EV’s bolts. Could be worth checking if you have been supplied with the correct item. Easiest way to see the right one has a long bolt which fits to the wheel well with a plastic nut to retain the wheel and kit. Hate to think in an emergency having the wrong one.
So the ZS (ICE) kit doesn't have a holding down bolt ? :unsure:

The best way to find out.....take one off and try it.
Lets face, punctures are not normally a common occurrence. I've had about 4 in 50 years of driving. One of these involved fitting a very skinny wheel on the rear of a Jag. XJR.... It looked ridiculous but got me home ok.

Unfortunately, here in Australia tradesman are prone to dropping tek screws off their vehicles. I've had three punctures this calendar year. The last puncture was a house key that destroyed a near new tyre.

Aghhh....I did say 'Normally'.......I knew a chap who worked in a boatyard ( steel hulls) he was always getting tips off welding rods in his tyres. When I was an apprentice mechanic, I remember finding a 6" screwdriver inside a tyre!

Unfortunately, here in Australia tradesman are prone to dropping tek screws off their vehicles. I've had three punctures this calendar year. The last puncture was a house key that destroyed a near new tyre.
Yes agree. One of the reasons for my choosing the MG EV over the other models on offer was its ability to carry a spare wheel (albeit a space saver) and jack in the boot without encroaching too much on boot space. Puncture repair kits will not solve a blowout on the open road. I guess I'm old school and have always had a spare wheel at least to get to somewhere save without undue stress.

Got the correct wheel yesterday. They tried to fit same. Fortunately I had watched the video on Utube. Thanks to that was able to show the dealer how it should be done. Check out the video. Very helpful. Due to the problem caused got the wheel kit at a discount.

There is a MG ZS EV being broken on EBay at the moment so if anyone wants a full size spare at least one curb rashed alloy is available.

Don’t forget to copper-grease the back of the alloys to prevent the wheel corroding onto the hub.
It could be years until a wheel is ever removed and you don’t want to be struggling in the rain changing a wheel you can’t remove.

I shall be doing that after the 3rd free service, let them struggle for the first 3 :) and if I'm stuck I'll use the AA cover.

I need that bolt.

I don't want to buy an entire spare wheel kit just to get the bolt;)

Any idea what I can do?;) I've reached out to my MG dealer, but they told to me to eat a ...

I need the bolt to attach my subwoofer.

You could just pack your bits of safety equipment around the wheel......tyre repair kit yellow jacket...tow rope etc etc.That should stop it moving OK. The bolt would only become really important if the car is inverted......then you might have bigger worries......

Well, I assume it will move when i fly over the speed bumps
I think you have the wrong idea of what a speed bump is for there @jhunterwu :LOL:

unexpected speed GIF

Thanks for that. Just sitting in my car, as I'm charging it, and decided to check what my dealer installed...and it looks like they put wrong one. Really.... with part no on the box and in the system. Tomorrow it is gonna be my last visit at my local MG.

Attachments

• 20210127_212621.jpg
    20210127_212621.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 227
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom