Steering gone on my 2021 ZS EV

Just started car and my steering just went. some sort of bracket fell dow at side of break pedal. Just waiting for RAC
Anyone had this problem
joe
Do you have any photo's of the part that has fallen down ?.
Has the steering completely failed !.
Are you able to turn the steering wheel in complete circles, without any affect at the road wheels ?.

Hi will attach photos. RAC just been bearing sheared from knuckle joint
Not a good situation

Attachments

• D8B574BB-893E-4B1E-8E9C-A06FA38E0D64.jpeg
    D8B574BB-893E-4B1E-8E9C-A06FA38E0D64.jpeg
    526.9 KB · Views: 722
  • 44EB024F-AA33-4E91-BC98-CEDDEB291FD4.jpeg
    44EB024F-AA33-4E91-BC98-CEDDEB291FD4.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 745
Should be OK under warranty and then should be a recall for other owners I don't know how many have to fail to activate a recall or does someone have to die?

Worrying photos! Some owners have reported 'clicking' from steering which has been ascribed to varying causes......just wondered if you had noticed any noises like this prior to it dropping out? (UJ's usually fail gradually)

My 2020 ZS EV developed "Clicking from the steering column" at just 1,000 miles from new which gradually got worse, I mentioned this to my Servicing Dealer (Chorley Motors in Burnley) who did not hesitate to change the whole steering column.

Sounds like this could possibly be a known fault to MG as no problems whatsoever since it was changed.

Andy (Blackpool)

A recall is unlikely because of a single failure but there needs to be an urgent investigation of this to determine the root cause. Bad news for Joe of course but I sincerely hope this is an isolated event.

Wasn't it making a knocking noise when turning the wheel before it fell out ?
The UJ was the first thing I checked when mine started clicking as I had heard of a failure from a YouTube video. Luckily mine wasn't that, it was the tilt mechanism.

There was a recall in the USA of a power steering fault on the earlier Merivas. Over here they were replaced when they failed as my wife found out! Fortunately she was turning left at a junction so was only doing about 10 mph. It was steerable but very heavy which if you're not expecting it can have serious consequences.

Sorry, but that IS a recall if I ever I have seen one !.
You can’t get anymore serious than THAT in my honest opinion !.
Complete steering failure is on the same level as a brake failure.
There must have been play at the steering wheel prior to this complete failure surely !.
One of of members who leave down under, has had the same UJ failure.
So, we know of two cars within this group that has failed with the same problem.
A failure like this on a car so young, is pretty much unheard of.
I believe the steering system is made by Bosch, so I am a little surprised by this I have to say.
Can you imagine the face of the tech who looks at this for the first time !.
I think the expression is ……. “OMG”.
Just been looking at the photos again.
At first, I was wondering if one of the UJ cups, had lost the retaining cir-clip, that would have allowed the cup to fall out, then it would allowed the UJ to fail.
But no, after studying the photo, all cups are present, but one cup has discarded ALL of its needle roller bearings ( and grease ) and allowed the UJ to disengage from the UJ yoke.
The cir-clip and cup is still in place, but has failed in dramatic style !.
My guess would be a failure when the UJ was first assembled and some of the needle bearings where pushed out.
UJ joints rarely fail if they assembled correctly and have sufficient lubrication.

A496A9A9-8C31-45E7-BE8C-89FFAFACD0DA.jpeg

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom