• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Steering Problem

MikeN

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have recently bought a new MG ZS EV Trophy. Overall I am pleased with it except for steering problems.
It is very light and ’twitchy’. Any slight crosswind or imperfect road surface, and the car veers to such an extent that the steering wheel is almost wrenched from my grasp and is difficult to reman on course. Sometime I even have to steady the steering wheel with my knee. I have checked the tyre pressures.
Has Anyone experienced similar problems?

I have recently bought a new ZS EV Trophy. I am pleased with it apart from an apparent problem with the steering.
Any slight crosswind or road imperfection, and the car veers off course to such an extent that I sometimes have to steady the steering wheel with my knee.
Has anyone else had similar problems?

Attachments

• C998CFAD-16C9-43F8-B123-C57CE78AF8AA.png
    C998CFAD-16C9-43F8-B123-C57CE78AF8AA.png
    435 KB · Views: 239
Yes, I have, I hope that’s not the problem as I find it useful. Regards.
thats what is causing it you can set it to just beep , although i found that annoying with the roads i drive on daily

You maybe better disabling it when driving around tight country roads etc.
Then enable it again for longer trips on more open roads, dual carriageway’s / motorways.

I have recently bought a new ZS EV Trophy. I am pleased with it apart from an apparent problem with the steering.
Any slight crosswind or road imperfection, and the car veers off course to such an extent that I sometimes have to steady the steering wheel with my knee.

Steady it with your knee? What are you doing with your hands?!

Could be a lane keep thing as others have mentioned. I haven't had an issue.

Yes, I have, I hope that’s not the problem as I find it useful. Regards.
I found it annoying, and switched it off after first use.... Was not aware you can just have it beep though, so I may try that next time we are on the motorway.

Sounds to me like the lane departure assist is activated. Or you've got a serious problem for dealer to sort.

Yes I say it is the lane departure I have turned it off in my mg5 and only use the mg pilot for motorways etc and the alarm on the lane us loud to ☺️ even with my hearing aids in 😂 and I find the steering in mg5 is very good and sure plus very responsive at all speeds👍

As others have said it is the so-called safety system to do with educating you to drive in the centre of the lane. My wife best described it like hitting a patch of black ice and is very unsettling. The original software build on Gen 1 made it impossible to completely turn off and it required you to press the button on the end of the indicated stalk several times until the icon on the central binnacle screen was extinguished. Eventually, I dug down into the menus and found it could be disabled following a software update. MG Pilot on the other hand 9engaged by pulling the Cruise Control Stalk towards you twice after engaging Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) has very much better behaved assistance and smoothly will assist you on windy country lanes and also on the motorway take a lot of the fatigue out of long trips.

As others have said it is the so-called safety system to do with educating you to drive in the centre of the lane. My wife best described it like hitting a patch of black ice and is very unsettling. The original software build on Gen 1 made it impossible to completely turn off and it required you to press the button on the end of the indicated stalk several times until the icon on the central binnacle screen was extinguished. Eventually, I dug down into the menus and found it could be disabled following a software update. MG Pilot on the other hand 9engaged by pulling the Cruise Control Stalk towards you twice after engaging Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) has very much better behaved assistance and smoothly will assist you on windy country lanes and also on the motorway take a lot of the fatigue out of long trips.
Thanks, useful reply.

Steady it with your knee? What are you doing with your hands?!

Could be a lane keep thing as others have mentioned. I haven't had an issue.
Holding on for grim death! I have disabled it and is much better. Someone else said it can be reset for warning only, how do I do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use lane keep assist on my MG ZS EV and on open country roads I find it make it much easier to steer. I have it on the highest sensitivity and you should check yours is on the maximum sensitivity setting. I saw this on this site.

I have recently bought a new MG ZS EV Trophy. Overall I am pleased with it except for steering problems.
It is very light and ’twitchy’. Any slight crosswind or imperfect road surface, and the car veers to such an extent that the steering wheel is almost wrenched from my grasp and is difficult to reman on course. Sometime I even have to steady the steering wheel with my knee. I have checked the tyre pressures.
Has Anyone experienced similar problems?
Hi Mike, overall everyone's suggestions and comments below are on point. I've just found the ZS EV steering in general just feels 'light duty' but it does the job. I've done numerous videos on my Aussie EV YouTube channel on my experience of 2 years of ownership so if your interested check them out at Electric Car Australia. Enjoy you new MG :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom