Still not scheduled charging EO Home Smart.

Andy Poole

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, All I have had my ZS EV since January and have had quite a few problems with a recently installed EO Smart Home charger. Long story but appears fixed now. However, schedule charging still does not appear to work if set to start charging more than 10 minutes after being set and car locked,15 minutes delay + in starting ...car just appears to stay in sleep mode. The garage state that the relevant software update was applied before delivery and have installed the Comfort 2 update to hopefully sort the issue to no avail. Any one else having the same problem or can offer advice please? I have gone back to both EO and Garage for advice in themeantime. Andy

Hiya......it would appear that MG are still working on a fix for the schedule charging but as yet nothing is forthcoming......I would dearly love to be able to schedule charge mine when they do fix it but at the moment all I can do is plug the charger in after 12.30 am and get cheap charging for 4 hours from Octopus Energy

@Andy Poole,
As you will find extensively discuss elsewhere on the forum delayed/scheduled or time charging was resolved with the BMS update.
The BMS update has been available since January 2020 but there remains a significant number of UK ZS EVs without this update. My advice will be to check with your dealer whether this update has been applied to your vehicle. Again there are several dealers who do not know about the BMS update so you may need a knowledgeable reputable dealer. Also the BMS update is free. You do not have to pay for it.

I am not sure about @ging353 comments about MG working on a future fix for delayed charging.
Has anyone else any information on this issue?

Personally not heard of any further fix for delayed charging since it was fixed with the BMS update in January but there have been rumours of an app for the EU/UK ZS EVs which may include a scheduled charging menu. The current information about apps however is that this may be unlikely for the UK till after 2020.

I was not aware that the Update had solved the scheduled charging problem.......from the number of threads on here I didn't think it had and that MG were still working on it.......It will be interesting to see what happens when I get the Update on my car in a weeks time.

Thanks for the comments, I also received the following reply from another forum:

I understand that MG have completely rewritten the type 2 code and that there is another BMS update for those cars that are affected. I believe it has only been released in the last few days. I understand MG & Rolec worked on this as Rolec is one of the recommended wall box suppliers. Ask your dealer.

@ging353,
Please I am not sure but you may be confusing the C2 upgrade with the BMS update. They are two different things. If you get the C2U only nothing will happen with your charging.
You need the BMS update for your charging to change from instant to instant plus delayed.
This is what I believe the situation with updates and updrages to be... I am not 100% sure but I think I am 99% correct so check with a reputable and knowledgeable dealer.
OK... since the ZS EV was produced there has been 4 software updates and 1 software upgrade.
All cars from 2019 to about 20 June 2020 need all or at least some of the 4 updates and definitely need the C2U.
BMS update was the last of the updates.
It has been available since January and it is important that you have it done first before the C2 upgrade is done to ensure that you do not get any software conflicts.
The C2 upgrade has been available since April/June 2020.
Check to see if your car needs any of the previous other 4 previous updates before you get your C2 upgrade done.

Got Comfort 2 upgrade last week as garage said had already received the BMS update prior to delivery in January (the garage said this may sort issue but i was very doubtful). Clearly some of the updates have not been applied or at least successfully applied so will go back to the garage!

@Andy Poole,
There are members who are more knowledgeable than myself about this issue so if you want better and more detailed advice I will suggest you start a new thread specifically asking for advise on just delayed charging for ZS EV. Your current heading seems to me a bit unclear as to whether you want advice with EO or the ZS EV.
All the best with your Dealership when you go back.

Thanks Kas, I wasn't sure whether it was my MG or specific problem with an EO charger and wondered if anyone would come forward with a specific issue with EO chargers and the MG. I am thinking it is most likely to be the MG though now.

OK. Some members have tech experience and they will be able to talk you through what needs doing to check if your ZS EV has had the BMS update done correctly. So please continue asking.
What I will suggest is that you use you granny charging cable and a simple wall socket timer to check your delayed charging. If it works then no problem with the ZS EV. If it does work with the wall socket timer but not EO the most likely problem with EO or your settings.

No, still not sorted am waiting for both MG garage and EO to get back to me. I am going to try the idea of a simple timer on granny charger to at least narrow things down a bit, but I am pretty sure it is to do with the relevant software updates not being applied.

I've just ordered an install of the EO Mini Smart Home, so if you haven't resolved this by the time I get the Charger (and the car ?) then at least I can let you know if it works for me.

I might be getting my EO Mini Smart Home installed next week ?

In the mean time, I got the following response back from EO which sounds positive to me:

"All our chargers that are sent out of the warehouse have been updated with the latest firmware to ensure any previous issues are fixed. As far as I have been advised, there should not be an issue. All our chargers are compatible with all EVs and MG have done their bit and now EO have too. If however after installation you do come across an issue, I have been informed that it is a very simple 5 minute fix. Admittedly you are up in Scotland so slightly less accessible, but we would still ensure we got one of our guys out to sort this for you."

Sorry for the delay (pardon the pun).

It's taken a while for me to be able to test delayed charging as I was waiting to sort out the wifi signal at the charger before testing (had to disable my PowerLine adapters as they were interfering with charging). I've not fully resolved the issue but had enough signal yesterday to connect to the box and setup scheduled charging between 00:00 and 05:00. Connected the car last night and verified it was connected but not charging, with a SOC of 46%. I went out about an hour later just to confirm it hadn't been charging and it was just as I had left it (this was still early on, so a good few hours before the charge was scheduled to start).

Went out to check the car this morning and it's fully charged - Yay!

So other than my wi-fi issues, which only affect my ability to connect to the box for changing schedules and viewing progress, scheduled charging on the EO Mini Smart Home combined with the cars software updates to date appears to work correctly ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom