• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

barrym01

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Driving out of a Morrison's supermarket at the weekend my MG4 suddenly decided to [for the want of a better phrase] emergency brake. This happened once before in the new year, but I out it down to a one off. Fortunately there was no one behind me, but it did give my passenger and I quite a shock. It was at an exit point with a street bollard nearby. I wonder if somehow the cars system my have mistook the bollard for a pedestrian, and if anyone else has had this problem/reported to a dealer? Once I've had feedback I can then discuss with my dealer. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone else who have had this happen to them.

I've had two false AEB activations.
In both instances it was when I was in the city overtaking parked bus and truck, where I moved into the oncoming lane with slow moving traffic and enough room to move by.
I think they use vehicle lane assignment for this feature. So it detects that I am in the same lane as the opposing car and it activates, regardless of the amount of extra room there.

I've had two false AEB activations.
In both instances it was when I was in the city overtaking parked bus and truck, where I moved into the oncoming lane with slow moving traffic and enough room to move by.
I think they use vehicle lane assignment for this feature. So it detects that I am in the same lane as the opposing car and it activates, regardless of the amount of extra room there.
This is unfortunately quite common on modern cars (not just MGs). You can turn the system off but I think you have to do it every journey. The technology is just not 100% there yet in terms of detecting a real threat. However, mine, buggy though it is, has saved my bacon a couple of times so I leave it on.

This is unfortunately quite common on modern cars (not just MGs). You can turn the system off but I think you have to do it every journey. The technology is just not 100% there yet in terms of detecting a real threat. However, mine, buggy though it is, has saved my bacon a couple of times so I leave it on.
Yeah it's pretty prevalent.
I also leave it on. In my two examples it is no harm to hold back for no opposing traffic to overtake (even in slow city traffic).

I've also had a couple of activations but they were only a sharp jab on the brake, nothing too serious.

Unlike the LKA, I can see how it could be useful. If child suddenly ran out in front of me it might react quicker than I could so I'm leaving it on for now.

I've also had a couple of activations but they were only a sharp jab on the brake, nothing too serious.

Unlike the LKA, I can see how it could be useful. If child suddenly ran out in front of me it might react quicker than I could so I'm leaving it on for now.
The sudden pedestrian was a failed test for the MG4 AEB.
Performed well on other tests though.
NCAP Video

I've had it happen twice in my MG4. Once when close-passing cars; the other time I can't remember why.

I've also had this in slow-moving London traffic. I now turn the sensitivity of AEB down to low before driving. Don't know if that would still do the job, but I haven't run any pedestrians over yet...

I don't understand why everyone is so nonchalant about this! It just happened to me (I'll remove my post, didn't see this one before!) and it's potentially incredibly dangerous. If it had happened at any higher speed than it just did for me, and there was a vehicle following behind, the chances are that they would have driven right into the back of me.

I've disabled the function now (also ludicrous that you need to do so each time, it should remember the setting) but that is wholly unacceptable IMO.

Hitting the accelerator will stop braking. It’s a widespread issue and yes, it can be incredibly dangerous. Phantom braking on my Tesla was horrible and very dangerous on early versions and it‘a still not completely fixed. I got used to being ready to hit the accelerator during certain conditions as I knew it would apply braking. Sometimes it would happen when unprepared and at high speed which are the worst kind.
The positives are that this technology has the potential to save lives and make cars much safer - but it’s still far from perfect I’m afraid. Changing the sensitivity settings can sometimes improve the response but they are still not perfect.

I have had this also both in the MG4 SE and MG5 Trophy no idea why they do it
Les
I think they do it Les (and it‘a not just MG) because the software is not yet sophisticated enough under certain circumstances to make the correct decision - so developers have erred on the cautious side. This then leads to unwanted braking situations.
It’s also important to remember that when some people complain about this it is not the software at fault but their driving!
Unfortunately though there are times when unwanted and sometimes dangerous braking can still happen with no fault by the driver.

I've never had the emergency brake trigger in my MG5, but it did it once in my previous car (Honda Jazz) - I was in slow traffic going round a roundabout close to a van and it suddenly applied full braking.

I've never had the emergency brake trigger in my MG5, but it did it once in my previous car (Honda Jazz) - I was in slow traffic going round a roundabout close to a van and it suddenly applied full braking.
Hi Jim but please correct me if I’m wrong you, I seam to recall are drive a MK1 SR MG5 the same as my first one and if so this car was never fitted with this software I don’t think, so it can’t happen in that model I believe.
Les

I don't understand why everyone is so nonchalant about this! It just happened to me (I'll remove my post, didn't see this one before!) and it's potentially incredibly dangerous. If it had happened at any higher speed than it just did for me, and there was a vehicle following behind, the chances are that they would have driven right into the back of me.

I've disabled the function now (also ludicrous that you need to do so each time, it should remember the setting) but that is wholly unacceptable IMO.
We are just used to it, not nonchalant. It can be very alarming and there is a risk of an accident but we are told statistically these systems prevent more accidents than they cause and so that's why they are effectively mandated and have to default to on.

We are just used to it, not nonchalant. It can be very alarming and there is a risk of an accident but we are told statistically these systems prevent more accidents than they cause and so that's why they are effectively mandated and have to default to on.
Well here’s my opinion not in any vehicle should anything that might affect the actions of that vehicle on the road default to On.

You are the driver and you should decide what is right or wrong for your journey, when a vehicle brakes suddenly and unexpectedly that might, cause an accident in some circumstances.
Or the steering on the vehicle decides it is going to turn the vehicle left or right and might run you into an oncoming vehicle or a lamp post, it will be you the driver that will be standing in the dock or by the grave side, not the software that might have cause it and not the person who designed it.
Not the NCAP people who demanded it. To ✅ some box.
No it’s you.
The driver should have total control of the vehicle they are driving at all times from the start to the Finish of there journey and it is the driver only that is responsible for the action of the vehicle they are driving.

DEFAULTS don’t count.
Les

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video