• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Sun roof temperature?

umad

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m based in Melbourne, Australia, and just took an MG ZS for a test drive. For me the drive was good, and I like the spaciousness (coming from a Nissan imiev), but I’m a bit worried about the sun roof. Other cars I’ve seen, including the Hyundai Ioniq EV, have a fully upholstered cover on the internal sun roof, but the MG appears to only have a thin fab sheet which was already (on a cool 16C day) quite hot when I got into the car. I don’t know how this will impact as we head into a hot Australian summer, and obviously having to have the AC constantly running for my own (and the dog’s) comfort oils dramatically reduce the range capacity. Has anyone come across this issue? Or am I being pedantic? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Welcome to the forum. I'm adding Australian dealers to our dealer map. Where did you buy yours from?
China has 40 degree summers in a lot of areas, so I expect the Chinese will probably have considered this more than the cold winters of Norway.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone! I’m based in Melbourne, Australia, and just took an MG ZS for a test drive. For me the drive was good, and I like the spaciousness (coming from a Nissan imiev), but I’m a bit worried about the sun roof. Other cars I’ve seen, including the Hyundai Ioniq EV, have a fully upholstered cover on the internal sun roof, but the MG appears to only have a thin fab sheet which was already (on a cool 16C day) quite hot when I got into the car. I don’t know how this will impact as we head into a hot Australian summer, and obviously having to have the AC constantly running for my own (and the dog’s) comfort oils dramatically reduce the range capacity. Has anyone come across this issue? Or am I being pedantic? Would love to hear your thoughts!
Us on this cold side of the world dont need to worry about this haha

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say 10-15 miles off the range in warm weather was a dramatic reduction in range. Less dramatic than the loss we suffer in Winter.
When its warm, I usually drive with the sunroof tilted and the blind closed. I use AC if that's not cool enough.

Upvote 0
I wish we in the UK could complain of it being too hot. You are so lucky to have such a problem.

Upvote 0
On the plus side, your solar panels in Australia would generate much more electricity than mine/ours in chilly old Blighty?.......swings and roundabouts.....;)

Upvote 0
Hi Umad, Welcome to the group. This is certainly the place to find the answers to everything to do with the ZS EV. I live in Brisbane (Queensland), where the temperature gets really hot. I took delivery of my new ZS EV five weeks ago. Prior to getting all the side windows and rear applied with the highest grade film for blocking UV and infrared radiation together the max legal dark shade, it was very hot in the car. As the roof was already factory tinted I thought I would wait and evaluate the results of the window tinting before going further with additional film on the roof. Since just having the windows done. I've noticed a marked difference inside the cabin. I still run the AC but not on full blast and it's comfortable inside on the hottest days. I do keep the roof shade blind in place most of the time and I don't feel any radiated heat coming from the roof. The AC obviously uses some of the HV battery power for cooling but certainly not noticeable in terms of range reduction.

Upvote 0
Although Northern England (and a trip to the Scottish Borders in early September) I can concur similarly that the sun roof seems fine, on a very hot day use the shade (same on colder days to help with insulation, something I could better attest to). Having had a car with tinting and without (for four weeks before I got the tints) the biggest change you can make is to get UV tint applied to the rear and front windows, in the U.K. they are fussy on the main windscreen so I’ve not had that done, and even on a sunny winter day you can feel the heat transfer through that as my only non tinted window left in the car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Umad, Welcome to the group. This is certainly the place to find the answers to everything to do with the ZS EV. I live in Brisbane (Queensland), where the temperature gets really hot. I took delivery of my new ZS EV five weeks ago. Prior to getting all the side windows and rear applied with the highest grade film for blocking UV and infrared radiation together the max legal dark shade, it was very hot in the car. As the roof was already factory tinted I thought I would wait and evaluate the results of the window tinting before going further with additional film on the roof. Since just having the windows done. I've noticed a marked difference inside the cabin. I still run the AC but not on full blast and it's comfortable inside on the hottest days. I do keep the roof shade blind in place most of the time and I don't feel any radiated heat coming from the roof. The AC obviously uses some of the HV battery power for cooling but certainly not noticeable in terms of range reduction.
What tinting did you get? I’m in Melbourne and waiting for my car to arrive (was meant to turn up today and they’ve ‘lost’ it!)

Upvote 0
I live in Brisbane (Queensland), where the temperature gets really hot. I took delivery of my new ZS EV five weeks ago. Prior to getting all the side windows and rear applied with the highest grade film for blocking UV and infrared radiation together the max legal dark shade, it was very hot in the car. As the roof was already factory tinted I thought I would wait and evaluate the results of the window tinting before going further with additional film on the roof. Since just having the windows done. I've noticed a marked difference inside the cabin. I still run the AC but not on full blast and it's comfortable inside on the hottest days. I do keep the roof shade blind in place most of the time and I don't feel any radiated heat coming from the roof. The AC obviously uses some of the HV battery power for cooling but certainly not noticeable in terms of range reduction.
Also with MG ZS EV here in Brisbane, Australia. I've had the windows tinted as well, but in summer, family in the back seat are finding it unbearable .... the mesh lining doesn't do a lot and of course ther's no air con piping back there.

So ... additional tint on the roof? Would be very interested in this, but, no installation people seem to want to touch this - and for a host of reasons that appear on searches elsewhere (sliding widows, glass shattering, glass above UV vs. side glass etc). In some other countries however, this does seem possible. Do you have any pointers to who might do this locally and how? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom