• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Sunroof leak

pshotton

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Now that the wet weather is back and the garage is full of junk, we've noticed water dripping from the sunroof control panel and creating a puddle in the central cup-holder of our 18 month old ZS EV. Must be coming through the sunroof seal somewhere, but not obvious. Has anyone else experienced? Time for a visit to the dealer methinks.

I’m not an owner (yet) but sunroofs normally have a gutter and drain points - they can be at the base of the B Pillar. Any issue with sealing is dealt with via these drain points, and usually the owner is unaware. Could it be condensation that’s pooling? Is the inside of the glass wet?

Thanks for the reminder - I should have immediately thought about blocked drains as it's happened to me before. Nice job for tomorrow! It's definitely not condensation, we're getting about an egg-cup full of water in the cup holder (but the damp in the car is making the windows steam badly).

Thanks for the reminder - I should have immediately thought about blocked drains as it's happened to me before. Nice job for tomorrow! It's definitely not condensation, we're getting about an egg-cup full of water in the cup holder (but the damp in the car is making the windows steam badly).
Top tip…. Trombone cleaner! Very thin and flexible rod for cleaning drain points (and trombones).

Owning a Discovery has put me off sunroofs for life 😁

My recent service included a charge for lubricating sunroof seals.
Might be worth checking yours.
Although you have dismissed the likelihood of condensation I have been regularly removing my car mats to dry them. It is surprising how damp they can get in this weather.

Top tip…. Trombone cleaner! Very thin and flexible rod for cleaning drain points (and trombones).

Owning a Discovery has put me off sunroofs for life 😁
Worst sunroof ever on a Disco, water would literally pour in

Now that the wet weather is back and the garage is full of junk, we've noticed water dripping from the sunroof control panel and creating a puddle in the central cup-holder of our 18 month old ZS EV. Must be coming through the sunroof seal somewhere, but not obvious. Has anyone else experienced? Time for a visit to the dealer methinks.
Do you use the car every day or is it stood for a while sometimes ?
My car is parked on a level drive and I get water pooling in the area where the sunroof wind deflector is. Because I use the car every day, it doesn't build up enough to spill over and leak into the car but it does saturate the deflector.

I remember one of the early adopters having a sun roof leaking into one side of his boot.
When he removed the trim, one of the drain pipes had not been connected correctly at the factory !.
A quick search on the forum should bring up his thread.

Hi, I think the drain hoses are within the A pillar trims but you can't do any remedial work with them there as they come from the roof area. However, due to possible electrical damage I would prudently advise getting it booked in at the dealership as the roof covering is likely to be partially removed to access wherever the problem has occurred. Let the dealer sort it.

Please do update once remedied 👍🏼😊

Worst sunroof ever on a Disco, water would literally pour in
Best example ever was during an African rain storm when parked on a downhill slope. Water cascaded down the inside of the windscreen after using the tray-like headlining as a gutter. Gallons of water - everything soaked. Had to open the doors slightly to let the water out - electronics then caused problems, but nothing too crippling. I’ve never spec’d a sunroof since 😁

@pshotton below is the link for ZS EV owners sun roof leak into the boot.
It was reported on another forum.
If you scroll down the page to "hash tag 13" you will see the photos included.

Sorry to hear. We're 14 months into ownership with some huge tropical rainstorms and no leaks so far. Fingers crossed you get it sorted.

I had water dripping from the interior light/sunroof control area of my 21plate ZS. Car has been with the dealer all day but despite jet washing they couldn't find a leak. Told to see what happens and if the leak returns take photos so they can see where to check. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom