• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Could the MG ZS EV sunroof be leaking?

Thore T

Novice Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently bought A Brand new MG ZSEV. Now abig leak occours on the floor right side back seat. I believe it might be leaks from the sunroof drain, but not sure as I have not seen it by myself.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Nothing specific, but doors are often shipped with drain plugs that need to be removed at PDI. it could be an issue there as they’re easily forgotten and it’s a brand new car.

another possible culprit is twisted/pinched/ill fitting seals somewhere on sunroof on side glass.

It looks like this. Terrible leak looks to come from the hinge pool.

Attachments

• B69F87CE-2035-4EBC-AB30-6888AB863693.jpeg
    B69F87CE-2035-4EBC-AB30-6888AB863693.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
A friend of mine recently bought A Brand new MG ZSEV. Now abig leak occours on the floor right side back seat. I believe it might be leaks from the sunroof drain, but not sure as I have not seen it by myself.
Any ideas?
There was someone on another forum who had exactly the same problem, it was the sunroof drain hose it had fallen off and was filling up the boot with water. He did post photos as well of what he found.

I bought brand new MG EV end of September 2020, since I had the car it’s been nightmare so many faults, they took car for 2weeks for repair, still the same issue like screen goes off, battery light come on, etc, last night went for a drive there was water leaking from light switch and passenger side front door panel . I’m so angry . Anyone experiencing similar issues?

No I’m pleased to say that since taking deliver of mine in March 20; over 14000 miles covered the car has been perfect for me.
Which dealer did you purchase it from?

Interesting. I'm purchasing mine from Vic Young. I live down in London. If there are issues, I'd have to take it back to South Shields? That just wouldn't be practical.

Interesting. I'm purchasing mine from Vic Young. I live down in London. If there are issues, I'd have to take it back to South Shields? That just wouldn't be practical.
Don’t see why that would matter if it’s under warranty you can take it to any MG dealer

Can somebody confirm that the warranty its with any MG dealer? As a few years ago a I brought a well known British touring caravan only to find the dealer had the warranty to himself! So all warranty work had to go though that dealer which was over a 100 miles from me. That's over 200 miles return trip.

It looks like this. Terrible leak looks to come from the hinge pool.
It looks like that is behind the passengers front seat ?.
Another owner had a large leak into his boot space.
The water came down behind the black carpet that covers the wheel arch in the boot, then left a pool of water in the spare wheel well.
He managed to find the problem himself, the white plastic drain tube from the sun roof, had not been connected in the factory.
Therefore the drain tube that directs the water to the outside of the car was doing nothing.
He reconnected the two ends of the tube and the problem was sorted.
Not sure if your friends car is affected by a similar issue here.

Here you go !.
This has been taken from another EV Forum.
It is a LONG thread, but here is the owner's findings.

And he writes :-
"A Eureka Moment at Last !"

Thanks to all for your advice and ideas but I am 90% sure I have found and fixed my problem.

I discovered this afternoon that ther are two fastenings at the rear of the roof liner that when given a tug allow the rear part of the roof liner to be dropped down far enough to reveal the
rear of the interior sun roof mechanism. This then allowed me to see that there are two blue pipes that attach to each side of the sunroof assembly. These pipes route down the rear pillars to expel any water that accumulates in the sunroof gutters. The Offside pipe had become detatched from its spiggot and was effectively allowing any drain water to run into the liner and then find its way down into the rear boot well. The pipe was an easy push fit onto the spiggot and I feel confident it should now be water tight.
It passes the hosepipe test but I will verify and sign off the snag after the next good downpour .

Here are some pictures of the detatched pipe Detached Hose 1.png

and how it should look when connected Drain hose offside.jpg

There is a pipe for each side.

I don't think my theory of a mis drilled hole has anything to do with this problem so I shall let that one go.

One thing to be careful of if you need to drop the roof liner down is that if you don't bend it too sharply or it will leave a crease. I have unfortunately got a couple of creases at the back , maybe they will straighten out after time.

Attachments​

• Drain hose offside.jpg

Last edited:
Warranty work can be done at any MG dealer. Block Exemption also allows you to service outside of the dealer network whilst still under warranty and as long as the parts are approved the warranty can't be voided.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom