SWARCO - charging in Scotland

RichardC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have been reading about how SWARCO will be taking over the charging network in Scotland. Today, out of the blue, I received a SWARCO RFID card because, according to the accompanying letter, I was a registered app user.

I presume therefore that I will be able to use chargers in Scotland. The map showing Scottish chargers does not show the availability of chargers yet and I presume that this won’t happen until next week.

Good news though and very efficient on the part of SWARCO.

I have been reading about how SWARCO will be taking over the charging network in Scotland. Today, out of the blue, I received a SWARCO RFID card because, according to the accompanying letter, I was a registered app user.

I presume therefore that I will be able to use chargers in Scotland. The map showing Scottish chargers does not show the availability of chargers yet and I presume that this won’t happen until next week.

Good news though and very efficient on the part of SWARCO.
Yes, I'm very hopeful that SWARCO can sort out the existing stock of chargers - there's too many broken or out of date chargers or those that are just really old and only give you a 'trickle' charge!

Especially now that I've read that the Scottish Government will be rescinding all the 'free' chargers and we'll have to pay everywhere soon. :cry: However, I hope this means that we'll get a better service with all the chargers working!

As a matter of interest, did you have to pay for the RFID card? It usually costs £10 per year and I'm waiting for the handover date before getting another card for the wife.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Yes, I'm very hopeful that SWARCO can sort out the existing stock of chargers - there's too many broken or out of date chargers or those that are just really old and only give you a 'trickle' charge!

Especially now that I've read that the Scottish Government will be rescinding all the 'free' chargers and we'll have to pay everywhere soon. :cry: However, I hope this means that we'll get a better service with all the chargers working!

As a matter of interest, did you have to pay for the RFID card? It usually costs £10 per year and I'm waiting for the handover date before getting another card for the wife.

Cheers

Bloggsy
No it was free. It just turned up in today’s post. I am assuming that it could be used in Scotland.

No it was free. It just turned up in today’s post. I am assuming that it could be used in Scotland.
Thanks. I'm wondering whether you've got the SWARCO E.Connect card? That gives you access to their network and, currently, there's only chargers in Dundee and Glasgow showing in Scotland, that's available - however, that might change next week so I'll check then and see whether you've now got access to all the Chargeplace Scotland's chargers. (y)

Cheers

Bloggsy

Thanks. I'm wondering whether you've got the SWARCO E.Connect card? That gives you access to their network and, currently, there's only chargers in Dundee and Glasgow showing in Scotland, that's available - however, that might change next week so I'll check then and see whether you've now got access to all the Chargeplace Scotland's chargers. (y)

Cheers

Bloggsy
Yes Swarco’s website only shows the Dundee and Glasgow locations so it will be interesting to see what happens next week.

According to the CPS website the £10 charge will still apply for those new or existing members requiring an RFID card but access via the app will be available.

I’m into my second year with the RFID card and paid £20 each year. I’ve asked for a breakdown of the per kWh charges subsequently levied over and above but not heard anything from them ?

I’m into my second year with the RFID card and paid £20 each year. I’ve asked for a breakdown of the per kWh charges subsequently levied over and above but not heard anything from them ?
I did have a list / breakdown of all my charging activity on the app (both the free and 'charging' chargers) but it's since all disappeared - even my 'Favourite' charging points have all gone! :unsure:

Maybe they're getting ready to shut down the CPS app?! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bloggsy

Oh no 😩 - and my Rolec smart charger can no longer connect with The EV energy app and is waiting for a new modem 😩- and I’ve had two smart meters installed and the guy couldn’t get either of them to work so he refitted the old dumb unit 😩.
So finding a working free charger compensates with a bit of added smugness quotient 😜

I wouldn't expect the physical units to improve with the changeover.

From the information page on ChargePlace Scotland
Will how I use the charge points change?
The physical charge points across the network will not change with the handover to the new network operator. They will continue to look and operate in exactly the same manner as at present. Maintenance and repair of charge points will remain the responsibility of the hosts. The public map will be updated within 30 minutes of a fault being reported and regular updates will be provided every 24 hours after the initial 48 hours has passed.
(my bold in the paragraph)

As a result, if the councils and other hosts aren't fixing them already, I doubt this agreement will change much.

For info Swarco's e-connect network is not the same as Chargeplace Scotland and won't be. E-connect is owned and operated by Swarco in England mainly, whereas CPS is mostly Scottish government owned and soon to be run by Swarco on their behalf.

Re fixing the chargers evil oil worker is partially correct in that councils take some time to fix issues that they have to pay for, it's a government thing, budgets and who pays etc. New chargers are being installed at a really fast rate country wide
Many short term issues come about because BP/ChargeYourCar (current operators) are simply impossible to contact, people just give up after waiting on the phone for an hour or more.

Swarco have doubled the number of engineers in Scotland since the beginning of the year in preparation for the takeover and their call centre is based in Dundee instead of the South of England, so the operators should have a better idea of the geography.

Good news, the £20 annual fee for a rfid card will cease and cards will be free.

Re charging for charging (lol) This has always been down to the individual council but yes, expect chargers to no longer be free anywhere soon. The reason for this is simple, councils are cash strapped and cannot afford to give away thousands of KW hours of free energy. Highland council just started charging after 11? years of free use.

Shhh - keep this quiet - I will say this only once. I tried to sneak in for another free charge to the Linlithgow Sports club unit hidden away in that fair town this morning.
A guy had just plugged his Leaf in with the Chademo connector and a Mercedes hybrid was using the type two since early morning ???
Anyway the Leaf chappie said all the chargers in Linlithgow are still free to use as are those at the Falkirk Stadium hub.
as you can imagine, I was plugging in at Falkirk within minutes - I had a bit of hassle so I phoned and the lassie sorted it and started a perfect charging sequence - I asked about the cost and she said “ YES - NONE OF THESE UNITS ARE CHARGEABLE - THEY’VE HEARD NOTHING ABOUT INCREASES YET “
Ahh - those were the nicest words an old Scots guy can have whispered in his ear 🤣🤣
Wife and I celebrated with a superb lunch in the Stadium restaurant.
On reflection - I might have been cheaper paying for the charge - anywhere ! 🤦‍♂️🤪

Shhh - keep this quiet - I will say this only once. I tried to sneak in for another free charge to the Linlithgow Sports club unit hidden away in that fair town this morning.
A guy had just plugged his Leaf in with the Chademo connector and a Mercedes hybrid was using the type two since early morning ???
Anyway the Leaf chappie said all the chargers in Linlithgow are still free to use as are those at the Falkirk Stadium hub.
as you can imagine, I was plugging in at Falkirk within minutes - I had a bit of hassle so I phoned and the lassie sorted it and started a perfect charging sequence - I asked about the cost and she said “ YES - NONE OF THESE UNITS ARE CHARGEABLE - THEY’VE HEARD NOTHING ABOUT INCREASES YET “
Ahh - those were the nicest words an old Scots guy can have whispered in his ear 🤣🤣
Wife and I celebrated with a superb lunch in the Stadium restaurant.
On reflection - I might have been cheaper paying for the charge - anywhere ! 🤦‍♂️🤪
Thanks Archie!

I went for a charge at Stirling (again!) and took the family to lunch at the River House which was very, very good but it did cost me £120 (family of 4) so I might try Falkirk next. The restaurant there should be cheaper, at least! ;)

Cheers

Bloggsy

My CPS card hasn't arrived yet.

Perhaps it is worth taking a chance without the card. "Sorry my card isn't working*"

* Until it arrives in the post

Edit: interesting it still shows 25p/kWh for falkirk stadium chargers on the (new) website.

Yes I also said to the girl there’s stickers on the chargers about costs but she said it hasn’t started yet.

Swarco and CPS are waiting till the server move is settled before charging starts so that any 'failed' charges don't end up costing the customer money.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom