Terrible default Tyres

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So after nearly a year of owning the MG5 I'm sick of wheel spinning so changing my hardly worn tyres for some with far better grip. Anyone else changed theirs? I hope it makes a difference.

Do you know what the torque settings are for the wheel bolts?
I'll be honest that's the first time I've heard of that. I assume my local Kwick fit on Sunday will hopefully know this :-/

I basically went for these

Hi. You might find the following site useful for tyre and wheel information;-

The owner's manual quotes a figure for the space saver spare (115-125Nm) but I haven't seen an official figure for the OEM alloys.

I basically went for these

Did you actively choose the "H" speed rating? I ask because the OEM tyres have a "V" speed rating so it is technically a downgrade even if the car is incapable of reaching the speed limit of either tyre.

Did you actively choose the "H" speed rating? I ask because the OEM tyres have a "V" speed rating so it is technically a downgrade even if the car is incapable of reaching the speed limit of either tyre.
I literally entered my car reg, filtered on winter grip A and fuel economy A. I had a choice of a few and these seemed to have the best grip ratings. Car can't reach its top speed and I'd never try to get close to that speed so no problem. For me it's all about grip

So after nearly a year of owning the MG5 I'm sick of wheel spinning so changing my hardly worn tyres for some with far better grip. Anyone else changed theirs? I hope it makes a difference.

Got two new front tyres last week as the original Bridgestone's were down to the mark after only 16k miles. I don't get to choose the new ones (Michelin primacy) as it's a company car.
Had a puncture in a rear tyre repaired at the same time, very slow leak.
Many EVs are prone to wheel spin, I know the Leaf is the same, the trick is to 'try' to take it easy pulling off at a junction. I'm not very good at that :(

Got two new front tyres last week as the original Bridgestone's were down to the mark after only 16k miles. I don't get to choose the new ones (Michelin primacy) as it's a company car.
Had a puncture in a rear tyre repaired at the same time, very slow leak.
Many EVs are prone to wheel spin, I know the Leaf is the same, the trick is to 'try' to take it easy pulling off at a junction. I'm not very good at that :(
Ye, I try to control my foot but it's too much fun

Ok so I listened and read the manual.

So I think I'll go for these. Look very highly rated and the exact same spec tyre

Changed my mind.... are these ok anyone?

Those Goodyear were the ones that some very knowledgeable folks recommended for my Ampera - for quietness as much as anything.
Agree, road noise is high on my list too, as we know it is very noticeable in an EV.

I changed my front tyres last week to Pirelli all season SF2's. My annoyance wasn't wheel spinning but the lack of grip driving down the cold wet M1 every morning. The car would slide outside the steered line and there was no real feeling of contact with the road. There was an instant change in feel and breaking distance from the moment I drove out of the garage.

I decided to go with those continentals pure on the fact its rated A for energy and A for wet grip, has an electric car symbol on it. Oh and also has a higher speed rating and are one of the more expensive ones.

When will you get them fitted?
I'd be interested in some feedback on noise performance too.

Agree, road noise is high on my list too, as we know it is very noticeable in an EV.
Make sure you go on other peoples recommendations for road noise The official noise figures for car tyres is drive by noise and from my experience, does not relate to cabin noise.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom