Tesla Destination charger problem

FrankCarlus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Had our first road trip yesterday straight out of the showroom. Got to our first stop and headed straight to the Tesla Destination charger at Colac, which is meant to be set to legacy mode. Tried both outlets and neither worked for us. The message on our dash said 'Connected but not charging'. Tried a few of the usual procedures (turn on/off etc) but couldn't get it to charge. Continued on our trip and stopped at a caravan power point along the way using our brand new John's charger. It worked no problem at 13A. Got to our eventual destination (some 230 km) with battery warning message. Plugged in the granny charger and again no problem and happily charging on around 8A. Any ideas on what the problem might have been with the Tesla Destination charger? TIA.

Tesla chargers only work with Tesla. I am led to believe there might be certain pumps that the rest of us can use, but they are low power ones.

Man made own goal (yet another) if you ask me.

Last edited:
Thanks. This is a 22kW 'fast charger's (not a SuperCharger) and it appears to be working with Kona and other non-Tesla EVs judging by the check-ins. So by all accounts it works, just not for me yesterday....

Quote" You can use a Tesla AC EVSE with other EVs, depending on the EVSE settings (plus the use of an adaptor for Type 1 socket fitted EVs) as most AC Tesla EVSEs are home or business based and have no system for payments built into them; You can’t use a current Tesla Supercharger with any other EV as the plugs are incompatible;"

Maybe you were just unlucky then. I know the original Tesla deals were that if you bought their car, you would have "free " power for life.

There are articles here on the Tesla chargers. Apparently, Tesla offered to make their chargers compatible with all EV's, as long as other manufacturers helped in setting up charging stations. The then EV manufacturers declined the offer, thus we are all suffering from seeing rows of Tesla chargers, while we wait in a queue for the single charger at the motorway services, and hope its working........

ISTR someone with a ZS did make a Tesla AC charger work after doing some sort of dance with it, plugging in and unplugging a certain number of times.
Apparently there are two colours of chargers, Red and Green (IIRC) and we can only use one of them not the other, unfortunately I can't remember which.

I’ve never used the destination chargers. Are they free or do you need a Tesla account? You do to use the superchargers.

I had similar issues with a Tesla Destination charger in a hotel car park with my ZS. Left it plugged in for a while with the doors unlocked and it eventually burst into life - no idea why or how.

Next night it wouldn’t play ball, just stuck at connected but not charging.

I'm going to try on tomorrow and see what happens if it works super if not so what got plenty of other free chargers in West Yorkshire onwards and upwards

I'm going to try on tomorrow and see what happens if it works super if not so what got plenty of other free chargers in West Yorkshire onwards and upwards
The Engie rapids are only free for another 6 months.....

P.S. Have you applied for your free parking permit for for Leeds residents. Covers all Leeds council owned/run parking Pay and display and car parks ? :)

Last edited:
Yes only six moñths left on Engie and Geniepoint unless they extend it
But still got Aldi and White Rose that are free
Yes applied for the free Leeds Council pass must chase them
The Tesla charger cable didn't fit so not to worry

I’ve managed to get a Tesla “Destination” charger to work, press the “reset” button on the charger for 20 seconds, the charger starts to reboot, plugged into ZS EV, locked doors, then the Tesla charger starts charging the car... all good...

I just had this same issue. I connected the cable, locked the car. Held the reset button for 10 seconds. Waited 2 minutes and eventually it started charging. Patience is the key

Destination chargers appear (correct me if I am wrong) to be privately owned. My local Tesla destination only outs out 7 kw but is open to non Tesla’s.

Apparently there are two colours of chargers, Red and Green (IIRC) and we can only use one of them not the other, unfortunately I can't remember which.
Somebody posted a picture of both types of Tesla destination chargers on the forum a while back.
It appears the white one is all other models.

tesla-destination-chargers.jpg

We stayed at a Hotel last month that had three Tesla chargers of which two were Tesla only the third was supposed to work for other cars. Didn't work on the MG5 even after they reset the charger. It grips/locks the plug and shows "connected not charging". Luckily had the granny charger and ran it through a window. All three points had what looked like a type 2 cable connections but no idea if the wiring was standard/compatible with other EVs

We stayed at a Hotel last month that had three Tesla chargers of which two were Tesla only the third was supposed to work for other cars. Didn't work on the MG5 even after they reset the charger. It grips/locks the plug and shows "connected not charging". Luckily had the granny charger and ran it through a window. All three points had what looked like a type 2 cable connections but no idea if the wiring was standard/compatible with other EVs
Arh ........... The good old "Granny Lead" comes to the rescue once again !.
Not everybody has a wall box to offer, but I guess nearly everybody has a three pin socket outlet.
I only carry mine when traveling on a trip where I think the charging infrastructure is likely to be poor or risky.
Having the space saver wheel and using the full capacity of the boot space, by having the boot board on its lowest setting, makes storing the "Granny" a bit difficult on the ZS EV.
I hate the clutter of charging cables thrown in the boot, it kicks off my OCD :ROFLMAO: .

I just had this same issue. I connected the cable, locked the car. Held the reset button for 10 seconds. Waited 2 minutes and eventually it started charging. Patience is the key
I tried it and it did not work, says connected but not charging still

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom