• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

gazoh01

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Tesla Supercharger Issue (MG5 EV) I signed up to the £10.99 subscription yesterday, I had used a supercharger successfully in Banbury (June 22) while the Osprey ones were faulty. It seems Tesla one of the cheapest chargers at the moment, so went for the subscription as I have a regular commute. Tried 4 different points in Banbury today without success, trying muliple times on each station. Ended up using some Bonnet credit in the end to get me home. I was passing Flint mountain Tesla superchargers so tried multiple times in 2 stations. The error I always received was "no car detected plug in to charge" a few times I had to wait a while for the connection to be released. I tried everything I know how to do, it should have just worked. I couldn't find a number to call but I would imagine it would have been of little help. is there anybody who uses these regularly that could offer any guidance?

support.JPG

Tesla Supercharger Issue (MG5 EV) I signed up to the £10.99 subscription yesterday, I had used a supercharger successfully in Banbury (June 22) while the Osprey ones were faulty. It seems Tesla one of the cheapest chargers at the moment, so went for the subscription as I have a regular commute. Tried 4 different points in Banbury today without success, trying muliple times on each station. Ended up using some Bonnet credit in the end to get me home. I was passing Flint mountain Tesla superchargers so tried multiple times in 2 stations. The error I always received was "no car detected plug in to charge" a few times I had to wait a while for the connection to be released. I tried everything I know how to do, it should have just worked. I couldn't find a number to call but I would imagine it would have been of little help. is there anybody who uses these regularly that could offer any guidance?
Just looked at The Flint mountain site on ZapMap, and a Polestar and an Ioniq5 both reported same problem.

Just looked at The Flint mountain site on ZapMap, and a Polestar and an Ioniq5 both reported same problem.
Just had the same issue on the Lakeside Tesla SC in car park 8. I tried 4 stalls and every time the app timed out saying ‘no car detected’

I guess something had changed in the Tesla system which our MG’s don’t like. Hope they fix it soon!

Just had the same issue on the Lakeside Tesla SC in car park 8. I tried 4 stalls and every time the app timed out saying ‘no car detected’

I guess something had changed in the Tesla system which our MG’s don’t like. Hope they fix it soon!
I've not used a Tesla Supercharger but am aware that the cables are short and that it may be necessary to park a little awkwardly to get the cable to reach. Is it possible that it is saying 'no car detected' because the communication pins aren't connecting properly because of the angle ?
Alternatively as reported other makes are having the same problem maybe it is the Tesla software that is the problem, searching for a Tesla ID on the other end of the cable, rather than the MG's software.

I've not used a Tesla Supercharger but am aware that the cables are short and that it may be necessary to park a little awkwardly to get the cable to reach. Is it possible that it is saying 'no car detected' because the communication pins aren't connecting properly because of the angle ?
Alternatively as reported other makes are having the same problem maybe it is the Tesla software that is the problem, searching for a Tesla ID on the other end of the cable, rather than the MG's software.
All good points, on the 2nd and 3rcd attempt I held the CCS plug in to the car to ensure the conenct was 100% as was worried like you said about the comms pins not make contact. it didnlt help though :(. I think the problem might be a time out paremnter that has changed and only effecting some non Tesla cars. When I connect the CCS plug to my MG it makes a locking sound but then unlocks within 5 secs while I am still selecting the socket number on the T app or waiting for it to start. Thanks to @Alb for posting the Tesla help number. I will try that this week.

A general point re help numbers - they are usually on a notice in the charging area. Whenever I've had an issue with charging I've called them - they respond quickly, have fixed it more often than not (just with a reboot), and even if they can't fix it, it means it will go on the list to get fixed and be available next time, and for others.

I rang the Tesla helpline today and the technician said thay have had to block MG and a number of other non Telsa cars from the public open SC sites because of a problem with CCS comms on those cars. He listed MG, Kia, VW, Daccia and Jag. He said he could see in his notes a plan to fix this within a few weeks (today 6/12/22) I guess it won't be fixed until Jan 2023 at the minumum. A big shame as I had lots of long drives based on Tesla SC stops this Christmas. They need a Tesla webpage showing a live list of which EVs are supported on there Open SC network.

Given the number of manufacturers whose cars are apparently "blocked" one has to ask whether it is actually Tesla whose CCS comms is "wrong".
If Tesla expect to fix it in a few weeks then presumably it's an update to the software on the chargers rather than car side (which would take a lot longer given some of the other manufacturers don't do OTA updates)

I rang the Tesla helpline today and the technician said thay have had to block MG and a number of other non Telsa cars from the public open SC sites because of a problem with CCS comms on those cars. He listed MG, Kia, VW, Daccia and Jag. He said he could see in his notes a plan to fix this within a few weeks (today 6/12/22) I guess it won't be fixed until Jan 2023 at the minumum. A big shame as I had lots of long drives based on Tesla SC stops this Christmas. They need a Tesla webpage showing a live list of which EVs are supported on there Open SC network.
Thanks for this update - I had a frustrating experience at a Tesla supercharger last week. Because I find my MG5 to be pretty picky at CCS chargers I assumed it was something the car was doing wrong! Hopefully soon fixed as the Tesla chargers are now great value compared to the competition and previously worked flawlessly with my car

thanks for sharing this. I have faced it yesterday with Tesla CCS and Gridserver CCS. Neither worked for me. Not sure when this is going to be fixed. I have long travel plans too this Christmas.

thanks for sharing this. I have faced it yesterday with Tesla CCS and Gridserver CCS. Neither worked for me. Not sure when this is going to be fixed. I have long travel plans too this Christmas.
When I tried one of Gridserv's dual CCS units not only did it not charge but it caused a system fault on the car that I had to leave it off for a few minutes to clear.

That said my MG5 has issues at the moment anyway, so I can't be 100% confident it was gridserves fault.

Has anybody had any joy on TESLA charges in the last few days, got a trip coming up and hoping to use them on the way?

Sorry but I was of the opinion that there was only roughly about 13 Tesla CCS rapids up and down the UK that had been opened up for charging on non - Tesla's models on a trial basis anyway ???.

Sorry but I was of the opinion that there was only roughly about 13 Tesla CCS rapids up and down the UK that had been opened up for charging on non - Tesla's models on a trial basis anyway ???.
You’re correct, however even those won’t currently work with an MG5 (tested Uxbridge the other day to see and indeed no dice, while in the next stall a Mercedes was able to fast charge without issues).

I was going to try the Tesla chargers at Lakeside having never tried a Tesla charger with my MG5 but now after reading this I don't think I'll bother. Hopefully Tesla will get it sorted if they are aware of the problem.

You’re correct, however even those won’t currently work with an MG5 (tested Uxbridge the other day to see and indeed no dice, while in the next stall a Mercedes was able to fast charge without issues).
Is it ALL MG models or just the MG5 affected do you know ?.
Thanks 🙏 .

Seems to be all, there's a new thread in the general forum where someone with a ZS has found out Tesla has blocked MGs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom