The day started badly and just got worse....The Genie bit me

Stuwit46

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
After recently changing tariff and updating via the ev.energy app my car fully charged during the week. However on Friday morning I had a 50 mile journey to work, started the car and was showing 47% battery, for the same round trip on Tuesday I used 52%. I didn’t think it would be an issue as it would take around a 15-20 min CCS charge to get home easily.
My first issue was I was working in deepest Dorset, rural all the way there with a few 7kw chargers en route, I thought I could get a charge on the way as I always leave earlier than I need to, but no CCS chargers.
After work I had to travel 15 miles away from home to get a charge, I was now down to 13% parked at a GeniePoint, the last 2 times I have tried GeniePoint they were unsuccessful. After hitting the “charge now“ button the dreaded countdown of doom started from 120 and then to zero. I unplugged, restarted and tried again the same 120 to zero....there was another CCS charger nearby so I decided to move to that one. I unplugged, started the car and then a message “System Fault” appeared, followed by “HV Battery Shut Off”. The car would not move, I could select Reverse but nothing.....
I called Genie Point at 1530 to see if there was an issue with the charger/car
They tried to start the charge remotely but with no success
I was advised to lock the car and leave for 10 mins, same result
Called back, same result
I called my local MG dealer and spoke to the manager for any advice, he didn’t know and had not heard this happening before
I called the AA MG assistance at 1640 and waited until 1715 for the patrol to arrive
He plugged in his diagnostic thing and didn’t get any fault codes, apparently MG haven’t given the AA anything to work with
He called colleagues for advice as he couldn’t do anything
Nothing helped
Decided the only way was to recover the forwards facing, non starting, unable to release the parking brake car to MG Southampton, some 60 miles away
The AA patrol found a way of releasing the parking brake so we could push the car into a position where it could be winched onto the truck
AA patrol got the ball rolling with a loan car (Enterprise 🙈) and I would be contacted Sat am to collect
A local recovery agent called at 1835 to say they were on their way, roughly 1.5 hour wait
They called back at 1905 to say they were short of drivers and would I mind using a loan car to get home and they will deliver my car on Saturday and collect the loaner, I agreed that was ok
2030 the recovery truck arrives with the loan car, an 04 reg Mondeo!
The driver reckoned mine was the 3rd or 4th car he’s recovered from these charging points in as many weeks
We managed to get my car up the ramp with me sat in it keeping the parking brake button pressed down
I got home at 2230, 5 hours later than I thought I would
My car is now at MG Southampton, I’m in a Toyota CH-R

054424C7-A72C-4747-B4C1-61D269A21E48.jpeg
31FD8A9A-D286-46D2-900D-11462D40797C.jpeg
7FEF925D-F046-4C5B-B737-848A4AF005C0.jpeg
8F27F6BE-5EDD-4667-87B8-DEF91A3DC972.jpeg

After recently changing tariff and updating via the ev.energy app my car fully charged during the week. However on Friday morning I had a 50 mile journey to work, started the car and was showing 47% battery, for the same round trip on Tuesday I used 52%. I didn’t think it would be an issue as it would take around a 15-20 min CCS charge to get home easily.
My first issue was I was working in deepest Dorset, rural all the way there with a few 7kw chargers en route, I thought I could get a charge on the way as I always leave earlier than I need to, but no CCS chargers.
After work I had to travel 15 miles away from home to get a charge, I was now down to 13% parked at a GeniePoint, the last 2 times I have tried GeniePoint they were unsuccessful. After hitting the “charge now“ button the dreaded countdown of doom started from 120 and then to zero. I unplugged, restarted and tried again the same 120 to zero....there was another CCS charger nearby so I decided to move to that one. I unplugged, started the car and then a message “System Fault” appeared, followed by “HV Battery Shut Off”. The car would not move, I could select Reverse but nothing.....
I called Genie Point at 1530 to see if there was an issue with the charger/car
They tried to start the charge remotely but with no success
I was advised to lock the car and leave for 10 mins, same result
Called back, same result
I called my local MG dealer and spoke to the manager for any advice, he didn’t know and had not heard this happening before
I called the AA MG assistance at 1640 and waited until 1715 for the patrol to arrive
He plugged in his diagnostic thing and didn’t get any fault codes, apparently MG haven’t given the AA anything to work with
He called colleagues for advice as he couldn’t do anything
Nothing helped
Decided the only way was to recover the forwards facing, non starting, unable to release the parking brake car to MG Southampton, some 60 miles away
The AA patrol found a way of releasing the parking brake so we could push the car into a position where it could be winched onto the truck
AA patrol got the ball rolling with a loan car (Enterprise 🙈) and I would be contacted Sat am to collect
A local recovery agent called at 1835 to say they were on their way, roughly 1.5 hour wait
They called back at 1905 to say they were short of drivers and would I mind using a loan car to get home and they will deliver my car on Saturday and collect the loaner, I agreed that was ok
2030 the recovery truck arrives with the loan car, an 04 reg Mondeo!
The driver reckoned mine was the 3rd or 4th car he’s recovered from these charging points in as many weeks
We managed to get my car up the ramp with me sat in it keeping the parking brake button pressed down
I got home at 2230, 5 hours later than I thought I would
My car is now at MG Southampton, I’m in a Toyota CH-R

View attachment 3168View attachment 3169View attachment 3170View attachment 3171
That's not good news atall

Keep us posted on the outcome, Stuwit. I think you've convinced me to stick to my original plan of using the granny charger only for the time being!

Sounds similar to my experience when the HV battery shut down on the M1 with 19%battery showing, hope it all gets sorted quickly.

Would a 10mm spanner to disconnect and re-connect the 12v battery have helped? Hard re-start has been used in similar circumstances by others on the forum. However, I may be talking broken biscuits!

Would a 10mm spanner to disconnect and re-connect the 12v battery have helped? Hard re-start has been used in similar circumstances by others on the forum. However, I may be talking broken biscuits!
An interesting idea sort of turn it off then turn it on again

An interesting idea sort of turn it off then turn it on again
I think so. Appears to clear all "memory" similar to a shut down and boot with a PC.

I think someone had a similar issue with a charger at Crow Orchard on the M6 and sorted it by doing this.

I carry a 10mm spanner just i case.

The AA Patrol did try that 🤔

Feels like maybe GeniePoint chargers are so incompatible with the MG5 that not only don’t they not work, but they also confuse the car to the point of inoperability.
We should organise a poll. Ask MG5 owners whether they have had success or failure charging on GeniePoint rapids.

Sounds similar to my experience when the HV battery shut down on the M1 with 19%battery showing, hope it all gets sorted quickly.
Were you driving at the time Scorpion, or charging at a service station? I am trying to ascertain whether the HV battery shutdown issue is caused during the charging process or just a random event? Was the problem rectified in your case - and what was the solution/explanation?

Were you driving at the time Scorpion, or charging at a service station? I am trying to ascertain whether the HV battery shutdown issue is caused during the charging process or just a random event? Was the problem rectified in your case - and what was the solution/explanation?
It was while driving, the first week of ownership as well. I never got a real explanation from the MG dealer, they charged the car at the dealership and said it just needed a test drive, next thing they are saying MGUK want computer downloads from the car, then it's supposed to have had 2 updates on software, one being a charging update the other not defined, then 3 more computer downloads between the dealer and MGUK before after 2 weeks i got the car back. It's not been a problem since thankfully. The recovery driver did take the car to an instavolt rapid charger to try and get the car working

On the other hand I had a top up at the new leccy forecourt at Braintree, Essex. Flawless. Just plug in, wave a debit card at the reader, disappear for a widdle and a cuppa and away.

No app needed, no RFID card needed, no "use your phone to start a charge" malarkey.

Oh, and the lass at the Costa counter was really pleasant and polite.

Ain't those 90kW leads heavy though? Wow.

Feels like maybe GeniePoint chargers are so incompatible with the MG5 that not only don’t they not work, but they also confuse the car to the point of inoperability.
We should organise a poll. Ask MG5 owners whether they have had success or failure charging on GeniePoint rapids.
Good idea 🙂

On the other hand I had a top up at the new leccy forecourt at Braintree, Essex. Flawless. Just plug in, wave a debit card at the reader, disappear for a widdle and a cuppa and away.

No app needed, no RFID card needed, no "use your phone to start a charge" malarkey.

Oh, and the lass at the Costa counter was really pleasant and polite.

Ain't those 90kW leads heavy though? Wow.
Well I can't see why all recharging shouldn't all be like that.
What was her name BTW? :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom