The where do I stop challenge !

Gomev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
The scenario:

Later this month we are travelling to Southampton area and back from Leeds, a distance each way of approximately 250 miles in a 5LR.
Because it's August I expect to have A/C on all the time.
Whilst in Southampton I will not be using the car before the return journey.

The question:

Where to stop and charge?
We will be starting with 100% obviously and will need to charge (at least) once in each direction, and maybe, or maybe not, in the area of Southampton before the return journey using rapids to top up 80% ish. (no fast 7kW charging time available). I Don't mind planning to arrive home low on charge but not too low to allow for any problems/incidents/diversions along the way, 10-15% would be OK.

A Possible problem:

I have a free (yippee) Bonnet refill I would like to use during this journey, so downside no Gridserve or Instavolt, 2 of my favourites,.... upside Ionity and Fastned included.

The Challenge:

I keep changing my mind over the best options/locations to stop and charge, so I am sure there are many wise heads out there in this forum and I hope the collective wisdom will come up with some great ideas and plans.

There are PodPoint and Instavolt rapids in Shirley High Street near me😁
Appreciate the thought but I can find chargers, it's strategy I need. :unsure:

Unfortunately 80% from there won't get me home. This is the challenge, where and how much to charge each way to get me there and back

There's a PodPoint Rapid at Winnal Tesco at the A34/M3 junction, 28p/kWh and a reasonable café. Used both ways should give you plenty of plan B etc opportunities.

There's a PodPoint Rapid at Winnal Tesco at the A34/M3 junction, 28p/kWh and a reasonable café. Used both ways should give you plenty of plan B etc opportunities.
What about Abingdon tescos ? As that’s literally 3 mins off A34 as well and very easy to get to
they have podpoint , cafe etc

Not yet done much public charging but aren't the Tesco's Podpoints usually only 7kW, which would take hours to fill 'er up? On top of that they often have a 2 hr parking limit.

I was at Tesco's in Cheltenham today, 3 hours free parking and it had 4 free 7kW units and a rapid unit at 28p/kW

Last edited:
Good to start with a plan but ABRP will be a godsend and help plan for any emergencies.

This is my trip! I regularly do your trip in reverse. I do Southampton to Rugby, charge to 85% at Rugby and make Leeds easily. I generally recharge at the Woolpack near Guisley over a pint before reversing the journey.

From Leeds you can make Rugby easily on your starting charge. You have a choice of a 50KW at St John's business park, roughly a mile from the motorway which has 2 Osprey chargers you could use your free Bonnet charge if you aren't pushed for time. There's a pub in the car park if you want a coffee while you charge.

If not then Moto Rugby services has a load of new Gridserves which are 150KW. 85% charge will get you to Southampton with 50 to 60 miles range. Brand new facilities as well.

Southampton end, charge at Jomarkh's Instavolts, McDonalds on Shirley High Street and then you have a choice of Instavolt at Banbury or return to Rugby. Rugby to North Leeds (Adel) is easily acheived from Rugby.

Hope this helps.

as an addendum, I've found this Google map, created and kept up to date by a chap on SpeakEV forum very helpful with respect to super hubs for long journeys.

What about Winchester services southbound to Southampton then northbound on the way home😁
Thanks again for the suggestion, but 235 miles from Leeds with 100% would be a push at c65mph and A/C, but at 80-85% no chance.
I will need a bit somewhere local just to get me to a bigger midway stop.

Thanks Winnal may be an option for a topup for the return journey.

This is my trip! I regularly do your trip in reverse. I do Southampton to Rugby, charge to 85% at Rugby and make Leeds easily. I generally recharge at the Woolpack near Guisley over a pint before reversing the journey.

From Leeds you can make Rugby easily on your starting charge. You have a choice of a 50KW at St John's business park, roughly a mile from the motorway which has 2 Osprey chargers you could use your free Bonnet charge if you aren't pushed for time. There's a pub in the car park if you want a coffee while you charge.

If not then Moto Rugby services has a load of new Gridserves which are 150KW. 85% charge will get you to Southampton with 50 to 60 miles range. Brand new facilities as well.

Southampton end, charge at Jomarkh's Instavolts, McDonalds on Shirley High Street and then you have a choice of Instavolt at Banbury or return to Rugby. Rugby to North Leeds (Adel) is easily acheived from Rugby.

Hope this helps.

as an addendum, I've found this Google map, created and kept up to date by a chap on SpeakEV forum very helpful with respect to super hubs for long journeys.

Thank you.
This is the same strategy I was thinking of. One stop on the way there, a bit of a splash before the return with a stop midway(ish) back.

@gus I had thought to get to the new Fastned at Redbridge Park and Ride, Oxford on the way down as well, approx 180 miles from Leeds, but would be pushing it a bit to get from there back to Leeds starting with 80-85% so an alternative for the return is needed. I like the idea of the Osprey at St. Johns business park.

Oddly I was thinking Rugby (approx 115-120 miles) was too early to stop as filling to 80% will leave me low on arrival at Soton., but maybe 180 miles to the Fastned is too far to avoid squeaky bum time. It is a LR but as you know it's fast M'way and A roads all the way and with A/C on. 🤷‍♂️

I was hoping to use a free Bonnet refill and make the whole journey cost free so as mentioned in my post that, rules out Rugby Moto for Gridserve and any Instavolts unfortunately.

I am open for other suggestions from everybody, a place with toilets and for a coffee whilst charging midway is all we need.

Last edited:
Thank you.
This is the same strategy I was thinking of. One stop on the way there, a bit of a splash before the return with a stop midway(ish) back.

@gus I had thought to get to the new Fastned at Redbridge Park and Ride, Oxford on the way down as well, approx 180 miles from Leeds, but would be pushing it a bit to get from there back to Leeds starting with 80-85% so an alternative for the return is needed. I like the idea of the Osprey at St. Johns business park.

Oddly I was thinking Rugby (approx 115-120 miles) was too early to stop as filling to 80% will leave me low on arrival at Soton., but maybe 180 miles to the Fastned is too far to avoid squeaky bum time. It is a LR but as you know it's fast M'way and A roads all the way and with A/C on. 🤷‍♂️

I was hoping to use a free Bonnet refill and make the whole journey cost free so as mentioned in my post that, rules out Rugby Moto for Gridserve and any Instavolts unfortunately.

I am open for other suggestions from everybody, a place with toilets and for a coffee whilst charging midway is all we need.
As I said Tescos Abingdon has a cafe and it’s just off A34
come off junction head in to abingdon go past let’s at home and turn right at next roundabout

As I said Tescos Abingdon has a cafe and it’s just off A34
come off junction head in to abingdon go past let’s at home and turn right at next roundabout
Zap Map is only showing fast chargers at Abingdon Tesco, We only want one coffee 😂

The scenario:

Later this month we are travelling to Southampton area and back from Leeds, a distance each way of approximately 250 miles in a 5LR.
Because it's August I expect to have A/C on all the time.
Whilst in Southampton I will not be using the car before the return journey.

The question:

Where to stop and charge?
We will be starting with 100% obviously and will need to charge (at least) once in each direction, and maybe, or maybe not, in the area of Southampton before the return journey using rapids to top up 80% ish. (no fast 7kW charging time available). I Don't mind planning to arrive home low on charge but not too low to allow for any problems/incidents/diversions along the way, 10-15% would be OK.

A Possible problem:

I have a free (yippee) Bonnet refill I would like to use during this journey, so downside no Gridserve or Instavolt, 2 of my favourites,.... upside Ionity and Fastned included.

The Challenge:

I keep changing my mind over the best options/locations to stop and charge, so I am sure there are many wise heads out there in this forum and I hope the collective wisdom will come up with some great ideas and plans.
Depending on your route, I would suggest Banbury as a strong location given there are Osprey (Bonnet), Tesla and InstaVolt charging hubs within minutes of junction 11 on the M40. Banbury is approx 150 miles from Leeds and around 100 miles from Southampton, so one stop at Banbury each way could be a reasonable strategy. I'd be tempted to charge to 90% at Banbury on the outbound leg and plan for a quick tactical stop either in Southampton (free Tesco charge perhaps?) or on the way back to Banbury if you are tight on range to make the 100 miles or so back to Banbury.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom