• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Thompson First MG Stroud - MG Dealer Discussion, Opinions & Experiences

My first MG aftersales experience today with Thompson First in Stroud - I didn’t buy my ZS EV from them but have heard good things.

Two issues - a rattling A-pillar trim on the drivers side (has been doing it since new more or less) and clicking/clunking in the steering column. Also asked for the BMS update to be applied to try and improve the experience of charging on long journeys - hearing the cut off in charging rate moves up from the current 81% was the driving force.

Courtesy car was provided - a 70 reg MG3 petrol manual with 1900 miles on the clock. Clean, tidy, exactly as you’d expect from a main dealer. No drama. Their paperwork mentioned £19.99 for insurance but that seems to have been waived. Not the world’s biggest fan of the MG3 but it did the job, being fussy about a loan car you have for a day isn’t really my style.

They acknowledged the A-pillar rattle and have fixed it - it seems to have gone which is great!

They acknowledged the steering issue but have to seek technical guidance from MG on how best to proceed with it - have heard a few different stories of how dealers have attempted to repair this. It’ll go back in for that fairly shortly, once they know how they’re to proceed.

BMS update has been applied - time will tell how that goes but no issues with them actually doing so which is great!

Perfect really - 10/10 for service so far.

Last edited:
Took the car for the first service here today, was done in an hour and radio updated too, I originally bought the car from AE Wilcox, however in hindsight I should have bought from Thompson First.
I've taken the car to them on several occasions for updates and they're always really quick/knowledgeable.

My first MG aftersales experience today with Thompson First in Stroud - I didn’t buy my ZS EV from them but have heard good things.

Two issues - a rattling A-pillar trim on the drivers side (has been doing it since new more or less) and clicking/clunking in the steering column. Also asked for the BMS update to be applied to try and improve the experience of charging on long journeys - hearing the cut off in charging rate moves up from the current 81% was the driving force.

Courtesy car was provided - a 70 reg MG3 petrol manual with 1900 miles on the clock. Clean, tidy, exactly as you’d expect from a main dealer. No drama. Their paperwork mentioned £19.99 for insurance but that seems to have been waived. Not the world’s biggest fan of the MG3 but it did the job, being fussy about a loan car you have for a day isn’t really my style.

They acknowledged the A-pillar rattle and have fixed it - it seems to have gone which is great!

They acknowledged the steering issue but have to seek technical guidance from MG on how best to proceed with it - have heard a few different stories of how dealers have attempted to repair this. It’ll go back in for that fairly shortly, once they know how they’re to proceed.

BMS update has been applied - time will tell how that goes but no issues with them actually doing so which is great!

Perfect really - 10/10 for service so far.
Follow up on this since I forgot - it went back in a couple of weeks later for a new steering column. Again, spot on service.

Just ordered my new Trophy from Thompson First.. was never going back to previous dealer or the one closer to me.

I ordered my new LR ZS EV in Trophy Connect trim from Thompson First, both people we spoke to were great and very helpful. So far so good, would and have recommended them.

A week later, after a slightly longer test drive provided by them, we ended up ordering a second for my wife!

We're looking forward to getting our new ZS EV's just waiting for the ships to bring them over.

Bought our HS hybrid from them yesterday. Absolutely brilliant service and handover from Jack. If it wasn't so far away, 3hrs, I would be using them for everything.
Well done.

Had a test drive there asked a few questions decided on buying a second Hand mg5 deposit paid etc, agreed pick up date, ready at time agreed, enjoyable experience will take back for service etc, will defo get next one from them too

All I know is it shut back in October
I found out accidentally when a newspaper article popped up on line which was 3 days ago the article was dated early October

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom