Tinting & insurance

MonsterMonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I believe the MG5 does not have tinted windows as standard and I've looked at a few threads on MGEV about applying tint film.

Strictly speaking the insurance should be told as it is a modification. Those of you that have done this what response have you had from the insurers?

I believe the MG5 does not have tinted windows as standard and I've looked at a few threads on MGEV about applying tint film.

Strictly speaking the insurance should be told as it is a modification. Those of you that have done this what response have you had from the insurers?
Seems if you look closely on the rear windows labels, on the 5 it does say light tint but it is very light...

Depends on the insurer. I asked about tinting my ZS, and LV said it would add around £50 to my total premium. Others have had no change

My insurer didn’t charge much (otherwise I’d remember) for the tints and change of registration number.

I was in the process of searching for a new company at the time.
LV had increased my premium by £80 from the previous year.
I made sure I added the tinted windows into the quote under the modifications tab.
When I received the quote back, I could not see the ref to the window tinting ?.
I sent the company an e.mail and asked them to check through the application form.
The replied to say that I had requested the inclusion for the tints on the App.
The advisor said there was no loading to the policy for the tints and that it would appear on the documents when they came through.
He was totally correct, they where shown on the paperwork.
Best to be safe than sorry.
Some insurance companies have a standard laid down pricing structure for amending any / some of the details on your policy.
Some don't change anything at all ?.
Try and time it, when your ready to renew your policy if you can ?.

I was in the process of searching for a new company at the time.
LV had increased my premium by £80 from the previous year.
I made sure I added the tinted windows into the quote under the modifications tab.
When I received the quote back, I could not see the ref to the window tinting ?.
I sent the company an e.mail and asked them to check through the application form.
The replied to say that I had requested the inclusion for the tints on the App.
The advisor said there was no loading to the policy for the tints and that it would appear on the documents when they came through.
He was totally correct, they where shown on the paperwork.
Best to be safe than sorry.
Some insurance companies have a standard laid down pricing structure for amending any / some of the details on your policy.
Some don't change anything at all ?.
Try and time it, when your ready to renew your policy if you can ?.
Incidentally, I need to renew my insurance in a couple of weeks and spoke to my insurers (Direct Line) and I asked re the tinting scenario and was told no extra charge + got a good rate for my ZS EV
Happy customer...

Zs no charge from AVIVA for declared tints

Definitely check with your insurance before you have them installed, Global Tint fitted legal tints today and they did a fantastic job, I called LV to update the policy and they kindly told me it has added £66.00 to my policy 🤯

Attachments

• 7AE23ED2-A327-49F4-8230-B25D15FA8065.jpeg
    7AE23ED2-A327-49F4-8230-B25D15FA8065.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 042E316C-49D8-4573-85BD-35E75F08D915.jpeg
    042E316C-49D8-4573-85BD-35E75F08D915.jpeg
    523.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 0A03FC08-D67D-4173-9601-9F41A03D7560.jpeg
    0A03FC08-D67D-4173-9601-9F41A03D7560.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 5FB1D0D5-0F1E-4A4D-BEB5-F6CFA708D085.jpeg
    5FB1D0D5-0F1E-4A4D-BEB5-F6CFA708D085.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 153
Definitely check with your insurance before you have them installed, Global Tint fitted legal tints today and they did a fantastic job, I called LV to update the policy and they kindly told me it has added £66.00 to my policy 🤯
That is by far and away the most I have ever heard of adding for tints.

I would question whether they have quoted you for the correct car as I believe there is a difference in insurance between some of the different MG5 models due to the levels of safety equipment such as Pilot LKA etc.

Thanks Gomev, their explanation was if it was involved in an accident they would have to return the car as seen i.e with tints fitted etc, I did question this but they were not budging!
But for £40.00 exit fee they will be now loosing my business to Admiral who it turns out are a lot cheaper and even cheaper if I add the wife to the policy?

Question for you. Do they have to pull door panels off to tint the windows?

Thanks Gomev, their explanation was if it was involved in an accident they would have to return the car as seen i.e with tints fitted etc, I did question this but they were not budging!
But for £40.00 exit fee they will be now loosing my business to Admiral who it turns out are a lot cheaper and even cheaper if I add the wife to the policy?
Nothing to do with the fact that they are sponsoring the rugby and the cricket, that's why their prices have increased ????.
I was with LV for the first year with our ZS EV ( Gen 1 ).
When the renewal came through, it was £90 more expensive than the first year !.
Voted with my feet 👣 and left !.

Last edited:
Nothing removed to install. Was warned the rear passenger glass is tight and to keep it closed for longer to ensure it was sealed.

Told insurance before I bought the car. No issue or extra on the premium. But I do use a broker and I don't get charged for the mods on the mustang either.

Hi correct they do it in situ so no removal required and I can highly recommend Global Tints as they give a life time guarantee, they do say not to use the windows for a week to allow the film to adhere ( I can't however recommend LV insurance :)

Hi
I’m with esure and it was no extra cost for window tints and aftermarket alloys 👍🏻
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Update; I did a comparison and Admiral Gold came out as a good option, I phoned them and got £240 off my price from LV 🤭 (he even laughed at the tints being quoted by LV), I phoned LV to cancel and the chap I spoke to said he couldn’t believe it either and wished me well. Now looking to switch from EoN next to Octopus but the sales person I spoke too didn’t seem interested? maybe as it was 4pm today on her Bank Holiday weekend, so will try again on Tuesday 👍

Hmm
If I got £240 of my insurance I’d only be paying £15 a year 😂
Every time I phone octopus the fall over themselves to help
Good luck
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom