To phev or not to phev - well to phev is the answer for me

Well I had a test drive last week and loved the car, I'm glad I knew the issue at 50 MPH in EV mode ( as my wife experienced it ) . So I have brought one from the guys at Paul Rigby Erdington, thanks Jon and Tom for your help on this.
Just picked it up today , neighbours have been round for a look, lol , and all love the look of it.
Its a white exclusive one with red leather seats.
No doubt I will be asking question on this the car and I hope the community can help .

My 1st question is , as I only have the granny charger , how long should it take to fully charge ( how many miles per hour charge) the battery .
I will have to look into home chargers next , that should be fun
Thanks
John

Well I had a test drive last week and loved the car, I'm glad I knew the issue at 50 MPH in EV mode ( as my wife experienced it ) . So I have brought one from the guys at Paul Rigby Erdington, thanks Jon and Tom for your help on this.
Just picked it up today , neighbours have been round for a look, lol , and all love the look of it.
Its a white exclusive one with red leather seats.
No doubt I will be asking question on this the car and I hope the community can help .

My 1st question is , as I only have the granny charger , how long should it take to fully charge ( how many miles per hour charge) the battery .
I will have to look into home chargers next , that should be fun
Thanks
John
Welcome to the party John! A quick decision after a long discussion

About the Granny charger, a full load from empty takes about 6,5 to 7 hours. 8 km (5mi) per hour. For me this is acceptable up til now during these times of low activity. A new day with a full load.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Henri8
Went on a day out today (50 miles round trip) of approx 50 / 50 , urban / motorway . I only started with 22 miles on the EV , but was astounded to find it recorded 89 MPG out the outward journey , and 90 MPG on the return. The EV did show 0 miles left when I was approx 2 miles from home , so the engine cut in sometimes , but at slow speeds the EV worked on its own ( on the flat or down gradient) .
Really pleased with that.
Strange it would not charge properly using my normal extension lead ( even though it can go up to 10 A) and was showing 17 hrs to fully charge. So I brought a new waterproof one today, and it was showing 6 1/2 hrs to full charge from flat hence starting with 22 miles.

Thanks for your reply Henri8
Went on a day out today (50 miles round trip) of approx 50 / 50 , urban / motorway . I only started with 22 miles on the EV , but was astounded to find it recorded 89 MPG out the outward journey , and 90 MPG on the return. The EV did show 0 miles left when I was approx 2 miles from home , so the engine cut in sometimes , but at slow speeds the EV worked on its own ( on the flat or down gradient) .
Really pleased with that.
Strange it would not charge properly using my normal extension lead ( even though it can go up to 10 A) and was showing 17 hrs to fully charge. So I brought a new waterproof one today, and it was showing 6 1/2 hrs to full charge from flat hence starting with 22 miles.
Can I ask you what's the gasoline consumption in this trip?

Thank you

Hi Paolop
I'm not really sure the petrol consumption and I'm not sure how you see it, ( perhaps others on here can give a better reply) but I can give you a guesstimate.
This is based on the video from Miles of Chorley who when using it on petrol only ( after the battery was flat) said it achieved a 40 MPG.
I drove in EV mode until I got to the motorway , where I then switched to hybrid , so it used the ICE, once off the motorway I selected EV again.
There was approx 10 miles on the motorway ( each way ) so in total was approx 20 miles.
20 miles equates to 1/2 a gallon ( based on Miles findings)
So I travelled in total 50 miles.
A quick calculation would be 1/2 a gallon for 50 miles = 1 gallon for 100miles , which would give a 100 MPG reading.
Well I achieved a reading of 90 MPG ( which is very close to 100 )
So I would guess I used approx 1/2 a gallon

I hope my Maths is correct
John

ok so (for metric system :p) 90 MPG are equal to 31 km/l so 3 l/100 km...
Very good savings

40 MPG they are not so good... 7 liters /100 km. Expensive

Hi Paolop
Yes using the EV part for all ( or most) of the journeys will give a good l/100km.
But if you do longer distances all the time, so using the ICE more , then it get less economic, and really a PHEV is not the car for that.
For myself the plan is ( hopefully lol) the 90-95% normal journeys on EV ( at 100 MPG,( 3l/100km or less )) will far overcome the 5-10 long journeys over the year ( at closer to 40 MPG , 7l/100 ), making it a very economical car over the year
Best of all no range anxiety ( like you can get over here with pure EV's) as I will be travelling to parts of the UK where the infrastructure is not great .

F5A15640-98F1-4ED4-A2D7-905E54A9A095.jpeg

On this page you can see all trip figures. I took this picture yesterday just before having my first fueling event after 1300km and more than two month of ownership! I added 25 liters
You have to realize that I mainly drive in the EV mode up and down to my golf game twice a week which is exactly 52km round trip.
F5A15640-98F1-4ED4-A2D7-905E54A9A095.jpeg

2.1 L / 100km and 7.9 Kwh/100km Pretty expensive for a Golf Buggy!

By the way John, your profile still states: Not an MG;-)

Last edited:
Hi Henri8
Very impressive consumption figures and yes an expensive golf buggy , but far more luxurious than the normal golf buggy you see on golf courses LOL
Changed my profile
thanks

Henri8,

Strange, by definition Plug In Hybrids do NOT receive any charge from the engine but from an external source. Also if it does receive a charge from the engine it will be very small and I would not think it would actually manage to charge the battery from empty to full no matter how far your journey is.

After all with a home charger it takes many hours to charge from empty to full and that is from a 7kwh source. No way on this earth would a petrol engine be able to put that output out without using a vast amount of fuel to do so.

So I still think someone is being misinformed (aka Mg with the roof rails of the MG5 scenario). Ask Miles next time on the podcasts (If you run out of battery on your MG HS PHEV on a long trip how long it will take (if it does at all, and it won't, I am sure) for the battery to be fully charged again?

I do not like giving poor advice so I am going to investigate this myself on the different types of Hybrids (which I thought I knew) however your information seems to discredit my knowledge but I will get back to you.

Regards

Frank
Hi Frank - I own a HS PHEV. It most certainly does NOT simply run the battery flat then switch to petrol. It's a true PARALLEL hybrid - left in it's default 'auto' mode it will use electric only up to about 25 mph (under certain conditions much higher), then it will use both power sources in parallel. So when accelerating (normally - not boy racer style) it will pull power from the battery AND the IC engine. Since the IC engine is only supplying part of the power, the result is excellent fuel economy. When the battery eventually depletes (MUCH more than 30 miles as it's not the only power source) the engine will charge it to ensure there's enough left to provide extra power for overtaking etc. In addition thee is a driver selectable option to maintain the battery at 50 or 75% (so you can drive somewhere then switch to full electric to drive around town where IC furl consumption would suffer). The engine is capable of pushing 120 amps back into the battery (there is a display showing current in/out of the battery so that's not a guess) and yes it DOES seriously reduce the fuel economy if you force it to do this. That's why you're supposed to plug it in.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom