To phev or not to phev - well to phev is the answer for me

@jem111111. I've mainly used the car in town probably not much more than 30 - 40 mph in EV mode although I believe it will go to 80 mph without the engine cutting in.
There is no in built timing schedule so you have to rely on the charger. I'm not on a cheap overnight tariff so I've never tied using the timer so can't help there I'm afraid.
Good points - well built, great specification with no "extras" to bump up the cost, plenty of room and I find it very comfortable.
Bad points - Infotainment system a bit slow sometimes but not so slow I find it a problem, won't run in EV only mode if you want the heating and no and heated windscreen. Living on the south coast only 1 day of frost this year so perhaps not a great problen for me really.

Well, strike me down with a wet floppy fish. Obviously the MG HS Hybrid is pretty well advanced compared to some others, if indeed it does as it says on the manual on long trips you will still have some battery power to draw on especially when showing up some boy racer at the lights.

Happy motoring.

Regards

Frank

As a continental I had to Google that expression with Floppy Fish ;-)
Nothing.... Must be local fish-talk? ;-)
But don’t worry Frank, I will not!

@jem111111. I've mainly used the car in town probably not much more than 30 - 40 mph in EV mode although I believe it will go to 80 mph without the engine cutting in.
There is no in built timing schedule so you have to rely on the charger. I'm not on a cheap overnight tariff so I've never tied using the timer so can't help there I'm afraid.
Good points - well built, great specification with no "extras" to bump up the cost, plenty of room and I find it very comfortable.
Bad points - Infotainment system a bit slow sometimes but not so slow I find it a problem, won't run in EV only mode if you want the heating and no and heated windscreen. Living on the south coast only 1 day of frost this year so perhaps not a great problen for me really.
Hi g4rth thanks for the reply very interesting. What MPG do you get ( or is it l/1000km ? lol )
thanks

For me it would be MPG but to be honest it's not something I've ever checked on. I'll give it a go in the next couple of weeks and try and give you a figure

Re the charging of the battery when in ICE mode i sent a message to Miles to ask if he looked at this. Please see below his comments

Yes, you can set the battery charge level to normal, medium or high. In normal mode, it will run the battery to empty, and not make any attempt to recharge it. In Medium mode, it will take the battery back up to around 50% charge, and in High mode it will take it to full.

I found that when in High mode, I got around 1 mile of EV range recovered for every 2 miles I drove on petrol. But it dropped the MPG down to around 30mpg. So obviously it's not the most efficient way to charge the battery.
Miles

Again I find this interesting information , so you have the option to pick if you want the ICE to keep the battery topped up or not , then at what rate ( Not at high though, as per info from Miles LOL )

It does sound interesting- I don’t know of any other phev that provides those options.

As a continental I had to Google that expression with Floppy Fish ;-)
Nothing.... Must be local fish-talk? ;-)
But don’t worry Frank, I will not!
Hi Henri8 , ha ha its an expression of surprise. Just think how surprised you would be if you got knocked down by getting hit ( normally across the face ) with a big wet floppy fish . I'm guessing very surprised .. or is it just us brits that would be surprised lol ??

Hi Henri8 , ha ha its an expression of surprise. Just think how surprised you would be if you got knocked down by getting hit ( normally across the face ) with a big wet floppy fish . I'm guessing very surprised .. or is it just us brits that would be surprised lol ??
I thought I was the only one who was surprised!
Now I know all other Brits are as well ;-)
Cheers Frank

Can i just ask another question re the heater.
I have read there is no electric heater , so when you want to put the heater on it starts the ICE.
I also read the HS has heated seats.
So at present my car has heated seats and a heated steering wheel , and I find in winter I really don't use the heater that often but prefer to use the heated seats / steering wheel as its quicker and sufficient , and all I need.
How good are the heated seats ( I think the steering wheel is not heated - shame).
Is there a temperature the heater (blower) turns on the ICE ( What I mean is can you used the heater on a cold blow ) just to clear the screen, and not start the ICE , or is it a case of, as soon as you turn the heater on ( even at a cold temperature) the ICE starts . Or is it more like the ICE only starts at a certain selected temperature eg 18 c ?
thanks

Can i just ask another question re the heater.
I have read there is no electric heater , so when you want to put the heater on it starts the ICE.
I also read the HS has heated seats.
So at present my car has heated seats and a heated steering wheel , and I find in winter I really don't use the heater that often but prefer to use the heated seats / steering wheel as its quicker and sufficient , and all I need.
How good are the heated seats ( I think the steering wheel is not heated - shame).
Is there a temperature the heater (blower) turns on the ICE ( What I mean is can you used the heater on a cold blow ) just to clear the screen, and not start the ICE , or is it a case of, as soon as you turn the heater on ( even at a cold temperature) the ICE starts . Or is it more like the ICE only starts at a certain selected temperature eg 18 c ?
thanks
Hi Jem,
I think you read my thread ‘Fueling or Freezing’
First, the seat heating has only one setting, on or off. This means that you have to switch it off and on because it will get to hot in most cases unfortunately. I will put that on my personal software wish list as well.
No steering wheel heating on board.
I found out that the air conditioning cooling system is also connected to the motor. In the EV mode the heater has to be off. A short cut switch, without finding the heater screen is available. There is no ventilation possible when your temperature request is higher than actual in this EV mode. Last week we had warm days here and the cooling button on the screen makes the full cooling and the blower system available.
I did not try this in cold circumstances, in fact selecting a very low temp. No idea if a minimum temp exists. I will try this out today.

Last edited:
Hi Henri thanks for your reply , I look forward to your reply re the test.
As an aside , as a fellow golfer , I'm glad the golf courses are now open over here in the UK and I assume in the Netherlands also :)

Hi Henri thanks for your reply , I look forward to your reply re the test.
As an aside , as a fellow golfer , I'm glad the golf courses are now open over here in the UK and I assume in the Netherlands also :)

OK, paid a visit to my dentist just now and driving in a snowstorm with 0 degr outside air temp! I could select airco with blowers on.
Lowest selectable temp is 16 followed by LO. Selecting LO enables airco selection without losing the EV mode.
Some pics attached. You can see that on the top of the screen Auto is off and Airco on with selection LO. On the other one defrosting is selected.
I will try to get this airco info in the Freezing thread as well..

Attachments

• CF998269-F3F4-4ADA-AD99-A1932C1F1942.jpeg
    CF998269-F3F4-4ADA-AD99-A1932C1F1942.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 1CBAAC28-4D1E-48D1-AF30-EC7B5CCDFF3F.jpeg
    1CBAAC28-4D1E-48D1-AF30-EC7B5CCDFF3F.jpeg
    585.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Hi Henri8 thanks for testing that , its good to know you can have the blower on 16c while still in EV mode. Its a shame re the heated seats are only on or off , as on my present car you have 3 selections of heating.
I wonder if MG will do an update ( comfort?) for this, as they seen to have done one on the ZS ( we wont talk about the BMS ones as that hasn't been very good initially by the looks of it)

Hi Henri8 thanks for testing that , its good to know you can have the blower on 16c while still in EV mode. Its a shame re the heated seats are only on or off , as on my present car you have 3 selections of heating.
I wonder if MG will do an update ( comfort?) for this, as they seen to have done one on the ZS ( we wont talk about the BMS ones as that hasn't been very good initially by the looks of it)
Just to be exact, 16 degr will not do the job in cold weather. Selection must be LO.

Although this is totally outside of this particular thread I do understand your reluctance to buy this car. You started the ‘ to Phev or not to Phev’ and got a lot of impartial feedback from the few owners that are on this forum up till now. I have no idea if the shortcomings can or will ever be solved by software updates. I am just a new customer and using this forum to get support from other members in order to get momentum to get MG to get there product better.
Let me emphasize that I enjoy my car very much! The problem with forums is that mostly only problems are discussed and the joy of driving it is taken for granted. I can imagine that you are not to certain anymore if this car is the right choice. All the positive test results that you see or read are true, these issues are also mostly true. I am thinking of putting a wishlist for software updates on this forum as a Poll to vote on. Maybe as time goes by we have some authority to present to MG.
I would like to see MG staff involved on this forum as well.
Do not cancel your planned test drive Jem! You will be surprised I think.

I copied the above to this thread as it belongs here as well...

Hi Henri8 I agree with your statement the problem with forums are mostly only problems are discussed LOL. No car is 100% perfect for everybody , but its nice to know some of the problems and Its been good reading the posts and getting some feedback.
Nothing on here has really troubled me , and I look forward to my upcoming test drive.
Thanks again

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom